Sponsored

VS GT3....

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I find it interesting how many people are into the GT3. As for me, I'm more of a GT2 person. That's my dream car.
Sponsored

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
(Not going to post this in RL since the demographic in that forum is so differenr and frankly very biased.)

I have always wanted a GT3 and with the release of the new 991.2 that comes with stick, I keep going back and forth. Reality is I could afford one now although obviously it does cost about 3 times the price and I am having tough time justifying it.

Yes I know its a porsche and its like a sock you wear, wraps around you, small nimble, build quality etc but as far as driving dynamics, sound, handling, is it really 3 tomes better?

Shelby is so cheap for what it provides and Porsche is so expensive for the same. Its like two cars on the extreme end of the spectrum.

Does anyone here own both or driven the 991 model (not .2 obviously but I m guessing for us mortal difference between .1 and .2 wont be huge)?

I drove the 997 GT3s several times and while they are wild, they are just too old and I dont see myself owning one without warranty.
I sold my 991.1 GT3 and replaced it with the RS. My GT350R is in the same league as the GT3RS - each car is worth the asking price for what you get. My 991.2 GT3 is coming in the next week and will let you know how it performs. The new GT3 is 10 seconds faster on the ring than my current GT3RS.

The sound of the GT350R is unmatched, but the blip of the PDK is to die for on the RS!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I drove the GT3 at Exotics Racing in Vegas a couple of years ago, along with a Huracan and 458. 10 laps in each, and I was fastest in the GT3. It felt the most planted, with the most grip and best balance of those 3. The interior was nice, but typical Porsche. Depending on what you are looking for, the inside might be considered "boring" especially compared to the Huracan for example which really stood out as something special.

If you want to see what a GT3 is like, Exotics Racing is a relatively inexpensive way to get a feel for the car. I think we spent around $2500 for the 10 laps in each of those three cars, plus another 6 in a Cayman GTS, a ride with their drift dude, and some t-shirts and a video package. It isn't cheap by any means, but it is a great way to experience vehicles that might otherwise be only a dream.

Of those three, the Huracan was my favorite simply because it was so crazy but also very good to drive. The GT3 was by far the most sensible, and even more capable in my hands. The 458 sounded great, but didn't resonate with me as much as I thought it would. Seemed a bit too serious whereas the Lambo was just a bit gimmicky enough to be fun. Sort of like how the regular mustang has puddle lights and color changing ambient lighting. Little things that aren't too meaningful, but which make the car fun.

Compared to the regular GT350, the GT3 is more car, and I would love to own one some day. However, everytime I get comfortable with its price, a new version comes out that's $20,000 more than the previous. Then I once again question its value.

Just did a track day at Buttonwillow in the GT350, and had tons of fun. Still getting video and pictures off my phone, so I'll post about it tomorrow, but I couldn't really imagine having much more fun in a different car.

I daily drive my GT350 (24,000 miles on it), have done 4 track days, and while it burns some oil and doesn't have the most even body gaps, it has been a great experience. I can drive it to the track, push it as hard as I am comfortable knowing that it actually is very easy to control and had excellent electronic aids that stay out of the way for all but the most egregious errors, and then drive it home with basically no fuss. In that sense it really is similar to the Porsche philosophy. It also is fast enough to be quite fun, but not insanely powerful. With the street tires the limits a breakaway characteristics are very benign.

So, while I would love to get a GT3 at some point, for now I am very happy with the GT350 and will continue to bide my time until a GT3 presents itself in a way that lets me keep the GT350. And if I never end up with a GT3, I'm OK with that.

I rode in my buddy's Viper ACR while at Buttonwillow, which made me think that maybe one of those might be a nice addition someday.

I need a bigger garage (and paycheck).

-T

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I drove the GT3 at Exotics Racing in Vegas a couple of years ago, along with a Huracan and 458. 10 laps in each, and I was fastest in the GT3.

-T
After reading your posts about it, I did a similar thing - I drove the GT3 and 458 in Vegas as well.

I left feeling even better about my decision to buy a GT350. On the track the GT350 IMO is on par with or better than many vehicles that cost several times more money.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I m not following you:) if its razor sharp why would I get a lesser model?

Also 997.2 GT3 is another car I m considering. How does the two compare?

- Sound
- Connection
- Handling
- Braking
- Acceleration/power
- Overall

I value your opinion a lot so I appreciate it.
I haven't and hadn't pushed either to the limit. Having said that:

The sound is subjective and I love both. The GT350 is angry snarly sounding, the GT3 sounds almost aircraft like with the intake sound. The howl of the GT3 makes your eyes open wide while the revs climb. Every revolution of the GT350 engine sounds like a bunch of pounding hammers in its brutality.

You also feel everything in the GT3 and I mean everything. When a pebble gets picked up from the rear tire you will feel it and hear it and it's loud. Hitting a bump in the road is an event in that car. The road is much more muted in the GT350 in comparison.

Handling? I'd say it's very close and will come down to whether or not you like the feeling of the weight in the back of the GT3. You have to trust it and drive the car differently than a front engine car. Seat time takes care of this. I had complete trust in the GT350 after a day. Thank God all of these modern sports cars have electric nannies.

The feel of the brakes were better in the GT3 but the performance felt in the two cars the same to me. The feel is still very high in the GT350. Both had the best brakes of any car I've had the fortune of owning.

I don't know what the power/weight is with either of these cars. I know the 997.2 GT3 is around 3,150 lbs. So the GT350 has to haul a good 500 lbs more. You feel that weight too which is just one reason why it's a better street car than the GT3. The GT350 is the faster car imo but then I'm not Motor Trend so...

The GT3 is really well made. I cannot remember being displeased in its fit/finish, panel gaps etc. Porsche is known for making a very high quality car so none of this is surprising. I've had 4 911's and they all share the same high quality of materials and build.

The GT350? Well it's MSRP is less than half that of my old GT3. It's a good car imo and that best bang for the buck out there. But comparing the fit/finish to a car twice the price is unfair. My interest level in any Mustang had nothing to do with comparing fit/finish quality with Porsche.

The drivetrain however feels more robust than the GT3. Not that it's true but the GT350 feels like you can beat on it (I don't however) a bit more than the GT3. The GT3 felt like you better not abuse it as it may not like it, and would get expensive quick. You're compelled to treat, and take good care of the Porsche.

95% of my use is on surface streets and the GT3 is a huge waste for that. It has a very firm clutch with narrow engagement, shifting is real notchy at legal speeds, and the suspension is really stiff. The GT350 is a far better street car. It's as relaxed as you want it to be and will tear ass if you want it to. The GT3 only wants to be on the track or the smoothest of backroads.

All of this is why I chose to sell the GT3 back in '13. Since then I've had two B302's and two GT350's. The engine in my first GT350 crapped out (I know, a contradiction to what I wrote above) and took some maneuvering to get another one. Things have been great with my '17. It doesn't burn oil and appears to be an all around great car for how I use it. I'm pleased with the car overall. :cheers:

Sponsored

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
Thanks, what about handling/braking/acceleration?
Sorry I'm late to get back.

Braking is not as good on the GT350R.Strong and no fade but a heavier car. Stock the balance is better on the GT350 R
Power band is equal to the GT3. GT350R pulls harder in higher gears. Same three stages of power. Floor it from an idle and not much going on. Both cars hit about 4k and take of. Both have that final big punch above 6,500 to red line.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I m assuming all these feedback is for 997.2 GT3 not 991.1 GT3. I have read every article/comparison/forum post there is about figure 8 times, ring times, 60-0 braking times, max lateral g, 1/4 mile etc and i think gt350r and 997.2 gt3 are dead on in each category. Gt350 is probably not so much.

That being said 991.1 gt3 is probably in another league in all areas. Its trapping 126 mph for starters with 11.2s ET. Yes none of them are drag cars but the difference between 119mph and 126mph must be quite noticeable. Also handling wise, I m guessing again with RWS and more downforce the 991.1 is probably better than R and probably quite different than the base gt350.

Fair statements?

Also when we are comparing, we should probably compare to gt350 not gt350r. Gt350r is still going for 90k. At that price point, I'd rather pay 10k more and get 997 or better yet pay 30k more and get a used 991.1 GT3. I think as far as handling and acceleration, there is noticeable difference between gt350 and gt350r

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
There is a 17 R with 700 miles on it going for 75k somewhere on the forum today.

Dominator

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I read every single post in that thread and have been following it since it was started. But I still would like the opinions of members here as well.

My choices are either keeping this car and spending some money on things like driveshaft, light wheels, springs OR get the new gt3 when i can get one at sticker.

The biggest turn off for me is I can never take my wife and daughter for a spirited drive with a gt3. There is no backseat. There is no childseat option. My daughter is 7 years old. 90% of my gt350 driving is either with my wife or my daughter or both wirh me. If I get the GT3, i ll be always on my own. I dont think instaling a back seat is an option since the back support is so low on the gt3 that its not safe.

That being said, gt3 is my dream car although with gt350, its a tough pill to swallow. I have the ford performance exhaust on my car and the sounds it makes and how loud it sounds is just out of this world
Looks to me you answered your own question. Gt350 it is.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Not usually one for loud colors but, damn.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I made the mistake of driving a 991.1 GT3, what a car.... Its like they took a Formula 1 car and made it street legal. Shows you how comparing cars is a lot more than comparing numbers about skidpad, brake distance, 0-60, etc. This car revs incredibly fast and revs drop so quickly, this is not a car you want to use a manual transmission on. Its a very serious, purposeful car that means business.

What's lacking from it is drama. The drama GT350 provides lacks in GT3. By drama I mean when you are on 3rd gear and going all the way to 8250, it sounds like a machine gun fire being laid down by a minigun from a blackhawk coming up behind you. Also the lack of rear seat really means GT3 is a toy car only you can enjoy.

On a side note, the trade in values for my car is incredibly low (42-44k), basically car is 11.5 months old, I spent $6500 on it, yet it lost 30% of its value. So much for "rare" collectors car:( None of my cars depreciated 30% like this before.
Sponsored