Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Another #3 popped on the FME Facebook page. I'm trying to acquire more info right now.
Can folks post copies of what they are finding on FB pages? Not everyone has or uses FB like it's the lost covenant...

lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Wow..

When I first read this post I thought I could help with engine
Failures sorry for crashing this thread on how to help with
Overheating the block my bad..:hail:
What are you talking about? I never directed anything negative towards what you've posted. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Can folks post copies of what they are finding on FB pages? Not everyone has or uses FB like it's the lost covenant...

lol
I haven't posted it on here because there are Ford reps on the forums and groups. I'm not trying to throw anyone out there without their permission.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I read that too [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION]. Easy to find if you go to the fme facebook page.

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Add me to the list. I have one of the first S550's built. #3 cylinder blew up well over a year ago at 23,000 miles. SCT tuned with FMIC and downpipe.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Add me to the list. I have one of the first S550's built. #3 cylinder blew up well over a year ago at 23,000 miles. SCT tuned with FMIC and downpipe.
Hay mate what boost we're you in when grenaded cold or hot weather what state
And what type of gas..

Anything is good to knowp:shrug:

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Who cares how it failed? You modded a car and the motor went boom. that's a risk you take. Quit trying to dig into something that none of us have any clue about. I swear I've never seen a group of people so frigging focused on engine failures. No other group focuses on motors blown like eb mustang people do and it's frankly a joke. You don't want to have a blown motor, don't mod the car and drive like a grandma and take care of it properly. Otherwise quit bitching when a modded car blows something up.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who cares how it failed? You modded a car and the motor went boom. that's a risk you take. Quit trying to dig into something that none of us have any clue about. I swear I've never seen a group of people so frigging focused on engine failures. No other group focuses on motors blown like eb mustang people do and it's frankly a joke. You don't want to have a blown motor, don't mod the car and drive like a grandma and take care of it properly. Otherwise quit bitching when a modded car blows something up.
wow mate ..

Strung a little tight are we" I get the point..":clap2:

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
We care about finding out the failure cause(s) because it might be something that's preventable. If it bothers you, why venture into the thread?

Sponsored

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We care about finding out the failure cause(s) because it might be something that's preventable. If it bothers you, why venture into the thread?
You won't find them though. Because I'm sure neither you nor anyone in this thread have been able to look at a hoard of blown eb motors. Probably very few people have and they would be the ones to have an idea of possible failures. I've seen several theories on what some of the issues could possibly be. But talking about which rod failed is not going to tell anyone much.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You won't find them though. Because I'm sure neither you nor anyone in this thread have been able to look at a hoard of blown eb motors. Probably very few people have and they would be the ones to have an idea of possible failures. I've seen several theories on what some of the issues could possibly be. But talking about which rod failed is not going to tell anyone much.
you think forensic science started in backyard of a guys house , it was being vigilant to the study of what happened , and in the case of blowing motors knowledge is key to helping us from fallowing other whether it be moded or not..:headbang:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I have to disagree, if it were a material defect in the rods, the distribution of failures would be more even, not concentrated on #3, so this has already helped rule out that possibility.

it allows us to look at some other possibilities such as Cyl 3 running hot and causing detonation due to the proximity to the turbo hot-side (Unlikely but can't be ruled out), Running hot due to sharing a wall with no coolant with other cylinders (#2 being the second highest incidence of failure is adding some credence to this). Or being directly geared to the balance shaft at the #3 throw. It is likely a combination of those but not something we would be able to even hazard a guess at without the collective input of this forum because you are right about one thing, there is no way for any one of us to have access to all of these blown engines.

If it is a design flaw in the motor that affects .1% of engines, Ford (the same company that determined that it was less expensive to pay restitution to families than spend $3 per car to fix a deadly flaw in the Pinto) will not try to look into or fix the issue as that might open them up to greater costs for the 99.9% of engines that will not develop a fault in 50,000 miles.

It was forums like this that discovered the fatal flaw in the Subaru EJ25s that kept blowing the #4 ring land. Like on this forum, many people started victim blaming the people reporting failures for being tuned etc. As it became widespread among un-tuned engines as well, the discovery of a flaw in the tuning strategy (Kept trying to stay stoich up to 10 psi of boost) and a tight bend in the exhaust at that cylinder causing it to run hot and read rich was made possible because of all those individuals sharing one small piece of the puzzle. Subaru addressed the problem in their later designs without ever recalling a single motor or giving out extended warranties /compensation for people who blew engines after warranty or with mods (Dealers were under orders to look for signs of mods like wrench marks on down-pipe bolts etc. to deny warranty claims).

TLDR. Threads like this are far from useless. Disagreeing with some of the interpretations of data is fine and welcome but going on threads like this to complain they are useless, is in-fact useless.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to disagree, if it were a material defect in the rods, the distribution of failures would be more even, not concentrated on #3, so this has already helped rule out that possibility.

it allows us to look at some other possibilities such as Cyl 3 running hot and causing detonation due to the proximity to the turbo hot-side (Unlikely but can't be ruled out), Running hot due to sharing a wall with no coolant with other cylinders (#2 being the second highest incidence of failure is adding some credence to this). Or being directly geared to the balance shaft at the #3 throw. It is likely a combination of those but not something we would be able to even hazard a guess at without the collective input of this forum because you are right about one thing, there is no way for any one of us to have access to all of these blown engines.

If it is a design flaw in the motor that affects .1% of engines, Ford (the same company that determined that it was less expensive to pay restitution to families than spend $3 per car to fix a deadly flaw in the Pinto) will not try to look into or fix the issue as that might open them up to greater costs for the 99.9% of engines that will not develop a fault in 50,000 miles.

It was forums like this that discovered the fatal flaw in the Subaru EJ25s that kept blowing the #4 ring land. Like on this forum, many people started victim blaming the people reporting failures for being tuned etc. As it became widespread among un-tuned engines as well, the discovery of a flaw in the tuning strategy (Kept trying to stay stoich up to 10 psi of boost) and a tight bend in the exhaust at that cylinder causing it to run hot and read rich was made possible because of all those individuals sharing one small piece of the puzzle. Subaru addressed the problem in their later designs without ever recalling a single motor or giving out extended warranties /compensation for people who blew engines after warranty or with mods (Dealers were under orders to look for signs of mods like wrench marks on down-pipe bolts etc. to deny warranty claims).

TLDR. Threads like this are far from useless. Disagreeing with some of the interpretations of data is fine and welcome but going on threads like this to complain they are useless, is in-fact useless.
I get what you are saying. But there are already folks who are REALLY looking into the issues as they have access to looking at many of the blown motors. And there are a few things that have been discovered. That said most of this is being done on Facebook groups which is where most of the EB tuners seem to really hang and discuss.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
* I want to admit that I've not read the entire thread; only the last cuppla pages. * *

There's no downside to this sort of experience-sharing. Badmouthing and/or irresponsible accusations/shaming - yes that's unacceptable. But just posting data and discussing perceived trends is not only quite acceptable, but potentially beneficial. It's really no different than TV programming that discusses religion or politics or electro-stimulation gizmo's. And people who disagree or do not wish to participate (or think it's hogwash) can take EXACTLY the same action: change the channel! Nobody's forcing anyone to visit this thread and/or take up their cause.

As for the 'you-five-guys-don't-have-access-to-a-large-sample-of-blown-motors-so-how-can-you-state-informed-observations' argument...

It's true - five (or nine or fourteen) members of an enthusiast forum like this are not the Ford Motor Company. Of course they're not going to be able to examine the motors (or the data) to which the company has access. But from the smallest seed...

And besides - with the aforementioned caveat in mind...

Who cares if we're right?
Who cares if a handful of guys develop and expand upon a [perceived] trend?
Who cares if our deductions are incorrect? or our assumptions are groundless?

It's an inalienable right to shoot the s**t like this. Barring the aforementioned abusive or libelous rants...we can talk about this online if we d**m well want. Just like you can talk about what YOU believe (or perceive or enjoy). And if you gather a handful of others who agree/support your beliefs...great! And if one of us disagrees with YOUR stance...it's likely that we will simply stay away.

* * * And my reference to "YOU" does not reference any specific member; it is a generic & global reference to the naysayers in the thread. * * *
Sponsored

Last edited: