Sponsored

Has anyone ever filed for diminished value after a collision?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone here ever been involved in a collision where the other party was at fault and you had a chance to file a claim for lost value? If so, what did you have to do and how did it work out for you?

I'll be attempting this in the near future, I just don't know how it works at all.
Sponsored

DarthLepard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Yes, it is simple really. You just need a quote from someone (dealer or likewise) of what the vehicles value would be without the incident that happened. Most body shops can help you with a diminished value claim as they are used to seeing them.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ok cool, thanks. I wonder what they'll give me... I would figure it would be a good amount.

DarthLepard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
it can be, depends on the vehicle, current value, mileage etc. Obviously if it was only worth 5k to begin with its not going to be a huge number, but if it was worth 32k, then it will be a larger number.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I filed years ago. 2002 to be exact. My 2001 Cobra Convertible got hit in the side just in front of the drivers side door. Total damage was about 10k. It was all fixed, just like brand new and I got a check for about $2,000. Hope that helps some.

I believe diminished value has just recently started when my accident happened in 2002 but I could be wrong.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
it can be, depends on the vehicle, current value, mileage etc. Obviously if it was only worth 5k to begin with its not going to be a huge number, but if it was worth 32k, then it will be a larger number.
Well since this car was "worth" the 40k+ I paid for it, I'm hoping that there's a good amount to be found. It doesn't hurt to try. Thanks for the tips man.

I filed years ago. 2002 to be exact. My 2001 Cobra Convertible got hit in the side just in front of the drivers side door. Total damage was about 10k. It was all fixed, just like brand new and I got a check for about $2,000. Hope that helps some.

I believe diminished value has just recently started when my accident happened in 2002 but I could be wrong.
This is super encouraging. I'm really just hoping for something of that amount.

I'll be getting some quotes as soon as I pick up the vehicle. Is that what you did?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
This is super encouraging. I'm really just hoping for something of that amount.

I'll be getting some quotes as soon as I pick up the vehicle. Is that what you did?
Quotes?

The insurance company that you're insured by will provide the diminished value quote and cut you the check for that value.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Quotes?

The insurance company that you're insured by will provide the diminished value quote and cut you the check for that value.
I have no idea, just going by DarthLepard's advice... lol

mswift5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt (guard)
I went to a person who specialized in diminished value. After his inspection was done, he prepared all the paper work necessary to support my claim. I am glad I did, because the insurance company was going to pay me less.

Sponsored
OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Much appreciated mswift! ^

I'm going to try and do this on my own for now, and if push comes to shove, I'll look around the local area for some reputable appraisal centers.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
I have no idea, just going by DarthLepard's advice... lol
LOL! Got it. I didn't have to get quotes. It was all based on the repairs and my insurance working with the Ford collision center. I didn't do anything except head out to my mailbox and get my check:D

mswift5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt (guard)
Your welcome. You can even give this guy a call. He is very knowledgeable.
Sponsored