Sponsored

Wheel Hop Solution: Steeda S550 IRS Subframe Bushing Support System (GT, V6, Eco)

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
Watson made them and has been testing them. They replace the whole bushing with alum "bushings"

That's a lot of work too. Replacing the whole cradle

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
...I can't believe nobody has made any kind response to my original purpose question. Being an engineer, I'd like to know this sort of thing before I blindly modify things for the supposed better.

I seems like a good product and something I'm leaning toward installing, but modifying design without knowing the intent behind the original is never a good idea.
You posted over the weekend so if our response isn't immediate, please be patient as Norm stated.

A little patience, please.

My guess (since I don't have any pictures in this thread to go on . . .) is that they're there to improve compliance is some directions without compromising location too horribly badly in others. Suspension bushing design is always a compromise between accurate, positive wheel location, NVH, and fabrication/assembly cost. Pick two . . .

Keep in mind that there are six degrees of freedom at each bushing - three translations and three rotations. I haven't watched the video, but I've seen plenty of videos showing what happens in suspensions and other plac es where resilient mounts are in use when they are suddenly subjected to large dynamic loads. Providing different amounts of compliance pretty much demands that the bushings be more complex than solid rubber or polyurethane cylinders with bolt holes down the middle.

Norm
(retired engineer and occasional bushing-tinkerer)
Nice response, Norm!

What our bushing support system does, in contrast to our competitors’ offerings, is allow the bushing to act like it was designed to work from the factory, in normal driving situations. Our spacers are not doing much when the car is not accelerating, cornering or braking hard, but when any of these conditions are met, our bushing support system then helps the factory bushings act more like a solid connection. We are not filling all of the voids, we are just changing the portion of the bushing that affects handling issues the most.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Ordered - for the price it's certainly worth try.

Sponsored

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
ordered looks like a nice compromise to the solid aluminum bushings.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2023 GT4
OEM suspensions in general are trying to appeal to a mass market. They can't get everything right for everybody. Compromises are made. Aftermarket helps tailor your tastes. Me and my buddy had a long conversation about all of this over the weekend. I'll probably be ordering the Steeda kit.

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
Ordered mine today.

Sponsored

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
Also, some people have been asking if this raises the car - installing our IRS Subframe Support System does not raise the car whatsoever.
That was my concern as well. Adding a spacer to the subframe mount I thought would increase the ride height of the car.

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
David thanks to Steeda again......... Received your S550 IRS Sub Frame Bushing, today, what a great looking Product, can not wait to get it put on in the spring time, if ever shows up, I guess it will soon..... Again thanks......... John

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
David thanks to Steeda again......... Received your S550 IRS Sub Frame Bushing, today, what a great looking Product, can not wait to get it put on in the spring time, if ever shows up, I guess it will soon..... Again thanks......... John
Happy to hear, John! Trade you some of the FL heat ;)

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
Thanks

It's 82 degrees here in Clearwater today. I feel bad for you all up north. :cheers:
Thanks you make me feel better..... The weather says 3 maybe 7 Inches of snow tonight....... DARN DARN..... Thanks John :thumbsup:
Sponsored