Engine Auto-off?

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
I apologize in advance if this has been covered anywhere and I am just too dumb to find it, but I am trying to figure out how this feature works. I have a manual GT premium w/PP and in the gauge menu under driver assists, engine auto off shows up with just an on and off function. I can't find it in my manual and not much comes up for it on Google. From what I have found this feature is supposed to automatically shut the engine off at stops with the gear in neutral, foot on brake and off the clutch in order to save some fuel. When the clutch is reengaged, the engine should fire back up. I have yet to see it work and I'm starting to wonder if I have the complete wrong understanding of this or if mine is just defective. Is it possible that it only shuts off a few of the cylinders and not all of them? Again sorry if this is a noob question, this is my first Ford, I am transitioning from Honda's lol. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
Auto engine turns the engine off if you accidentally leave the car without turning it off. Otherwise if you leave the car without turning it off, even if you don't leave the key in the car, it will run indefinitely.

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
You're confusing it with auto start stop, it's not that.

OP
OP

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Auto engine turns the engine off if you accidentally leave the car without turning it off. Otherwise if you leave the car without turning it off, even if you don't leave the key in the car, it will run indefinitely.
Good to know, Thank you! I figured a v8 mustang wouldn't be concerned with fuel savings lol. I can't complain at 21 mpgs average though. Thanks again, this was driving me nuts!

OP
OP

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
You're confusing it with auto start stop, it's not that.
Yea, I think google was just continuously misguiding me, as the only results I was finding was for the Ford Fusion. Then I read an article about Ford wanting all their cars to have auto start-stop by 2017, so I just started thinking maybe that's what it was. I think one or two links may have even mislabeled it as auto engine off instead of auto start-stop. :shrug: Thanks for the quick answers though! Relieved there's nothing wrong with my car.

Sponsored

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
Perhaps Rachel (FordService) can answer this question.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Perhaps Rachel (FordService) can answer this question.
I'll do my best, WatchSquid. :)

I apologize in advance if this has been covered anywhere and I am just too dumb to find it, but I am trying to figure out how this feature works. I have a manual GT premium w/PP and in the gauge menu under driver assists, engine auto off shows up with just an on and off function. ...
Again sorry if this is a noob question, this is my first Ford, I am transitioning from Honda's lol. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Ford Family, VTECSAUCE! :ford:

The Engine Auto Off feature is to prevent extensive idle time. Many states and localities are enacting laws that prohibit unnecessary idling. Idle reduction is an effective method of reducing harmful pollutants and has added benefits of lowering fuel consumption, saving money, curbing maintenance costs, and prolonging engine life.

When enabled, it will turn the vehicle off after a certain amount of time of idling. It's a plus for everybody. :D

Rachel

OP
OP

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the Ford Family, VTECSAUCE! :ford:

The Engine Auto Off feature is to prevent extensive idle time. Many states and localities are enacting laws that prohibit unnecessary idling. Idle reduction is an effective method of reducing harmful pollutants and has added benefits of lowering fuel consumption, saving money, curbing maintenance costs, and prolonging engine life.

When enabled, it will turn the vehicle off after a certain amount of time of idling. It's a plus for everybody. :D

Rachel[/QUOTE]

Thank you Rachel!
Sponsored