Sponsored

SCCA ESP Thread

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
Weighed mine today. 3593 with almost zero fuel and trunk junk out.

I started a build thread with some pics.

35mm bar is coming, and Terry Fair and Brad Maxcy dropped off my Magnaflow today when they picked up my E46 to be the Vorshlag company W2W car.

I'm waiting on the MCS, and Vorshlag plates, and then will probably be going 18x11 and 315's. Figuring out some kind of tire trailer soon.

Not sure of anything beyond that. Some sort of intake and tune, but that's a ways out still. This is likely going to be a several year project for me before I have any business worrying about results. I'll probably see how the stock bushings hold up through the first half of the year, and then start replacing.

I'm registered for the Texas tour, but may drop back to a co-drive in F-street if parts aren't available yet. My ability to handle big, heavy, high powered cars like this remains to be seen. My last real attempt at Solo was in 2012 in STX in a 3000lb 08' WRX. That car never was fully prepped, never getting a downpipe/tune, and my results weren't anything to write home about.
Sponsored

Last edited:

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Even on the stock tires? I ran my miata in a Road tire class in colorado, and it was separate from the street classes..

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock class used to run on R- comps, but in the interest of allowing more people to be competitive without spending as much on tires, stock is now street class for at least 200 treadware tires.

Sponsored

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Right! So same limitations as before? Sorry for asking but i get buried in the rule book and can't make much sense of it.

Before I was limited to 200TW tires, one sway bar of your choice, and catback i believe?

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Weighed mine today. 3593 with almost zero fuel and trunk junk out.

I started a build thread with some pics.

35mm bar is coming, and Terry Fair and Brad Maxcy dropped off my Magnaflow today when they picked up my E46 to be the Vorshlag company W2W car.

I'm waiting on the MCS, and Vorshlag plates, and then will probably be going 18x11 and 315's. Figuring out some kind of tire trailer soon.

Not sure of anything beyond that. Some sort of intake and tune, but that's a ways out still. This is likely going to be a several year project for me before I have any business worrying about results. I'll probably see how the stock bushings hold up through the first half of the year, and then start replacing.

I'm registered for the Texas tour, but may drop back to a co-drive in F-street if parts aren't available yet. My ability to handle big, heavy, high powered cars like this remains to be seen. My last real attempt at Solo was in 2012 in STX in a 3000lb 08' WRX. That car never was fully prepped, never getting a downpipe/tune, and my results weren't anything to write home about.
not surprised to hear that the non-PP is much lighter - i swapped rotors and pads this past weekend and, my god, those things are HEAVY!! can't wait for girodisc to validate that the prototypes they fabbed up work so i can drop 10lbs/corner. coupled with the excessively heavy wheels and other PP-specific add-ons, it makes sense though.

sounds like we're both waiting on some of the same parts. i ordered a couple sets of 18x11s already, but i don't expect to see them until the end of march (if i'm lucky) based on past experience with forgestar. i've got a preorder in with tirerack for 315 A7s (they should ramp up production in a few weeks once all the A6s are gone) and 315 Rival S tires (expected to make the 4/30 SCCA deadline) for playing around with in CAM-C locally. OSG has my donor rear end in japan already, but i was planning on running the torsen for the first half of the season anyway so i can see first hand on a stable setup if the clutch-type works (or not) absent other changes. energy suspension told me they'd be releasing their bushing kit in march, here's hoping! and FRPP should have the rear subframe with poly bushings installed available soon. mcs is the big variable IMO though - i've never dealt with them, and they haven't exactly been transparent (or very communicative) with me. i'm relying on jason/vorshlag to push them through the prototyping stage into production, with plates to match; otherwise, i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay the premium for filip's cortex/jri concoction. because i *won't* race this car on stock struts with no camber - 315s aren't cheap enough to kill the shoulders in a few weekends, regardless of compound!!

if you find a trailer hitch that works, let me know. i reached out to curt and draw-tite; curt is waiting for a car to prototype one on, but draw-tite shows that their 11-14 part is a rollover/fit, though i have my doubts. i do have a curt hitch that i used on my 2013 GT, but i haven't had a chance to test-fit yet. i'll let you know if it works.

i still haven't measured/done the math on setup variables to figure out where to start with spring rates and bar diameters. much like you, i expect this to be a multi-year build. it's really going to be a challenge for me to not one-and-done-it with parts as i've grown used to competing in stock/street for so many years. at the same time, it's nice to finally have a class to correct most of the wrongs from the factory and i'm excited to see where all of us S550 guys can take the platform against some very well setup and driven S197s in the class.

good luck in 2015 and see ya in lincoln!!

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Right! So same limitations as before? Sorry for asking but i get buried in the rule book and can't make much sense of it.

Before I was limited to 200TW tires, one sway bar of your choice, and catback i believe?
You can also change the dampers when some come out.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not surprised to hear that the non-PP is much lighter - i swapped rotors and pads this past weekend and, my god, those things are HEAVY!! can't wait for girodisc to validate that the prototypes they fabbed up work so i can drop 10lbs/corner. coupled with the excessively heavy wheels and other PP-specific add-ons, it makes sense though.

sounds like we're both waiting on some of the same parts. i ordered a couple sets of 18x11s already, but i don't expect to see them until the end of march (if i'm lucky) based on past experience with forgestar. i've got a preorder in with tirerack for 315 A7s (they should ramp up production in a few weeks once all the A6s are gone) and 315 Rival S tires (expected to make the 4/30 SCCA deadline) for playing around with in CAM-C locally. OSG has my donor rear end in japan already, but i was planning on running the torsen for the first half of the season anyway so i can see first hand on a stable setup if the clutch-type works (or not) absent other changes. energy suspension told me they'd be releasing their bushing kit in march, here's hoping! and FRPP should have the rear subframe with poly bushings installed available soon. mcs is the big variable IMO though - i've never dealt with them, and they haven't exactly been transparent (or very communicative) with me. i'm relying on jason/vorshlag to push them through the prototyping stage into production, with plates to match; otherwise, i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay the premium for filip's cortex/jri concoction. because i *won't* race this car on stock struts with no camber - 315s aren't cheap enough to kill the shoulders in a few weekends, regardless of compound!!

if you find a trailer hitch that works, let me know. i reached out to curt and draw-tite; curt is waiting for a car to prototype one on, but draw-tite shows that their 11-14 part is a rollover/fit, though i have my doubts. i do have a curt hitch that i used on my 2013 GT, but i haven't had a chance to test-fit yet. i'll let you know if it works.

i still haven't measured/done the math on setup variables to figure out where to start with spring rates and bar diameters. much like you, i expect this to be a multi-year build. it's really going to be a challenge for me to not one-and-done-it with parts as i've grown used to competing in stock/street for so many years. at the same time, it's nice to finally have a class to correct most of the wrongs from the factory and i'm excited to see where all of us S550 guys can take the platform against some very well setup and driven S197s in the class.

good luck in 2015 and see ya in lincoln!!
On the lookout for tow packages as well. Starting the tire trailer sourcing and have a couple sets of free Hoho's sourced frome ex-stock class guys. They are going on cheap, SRE drift 19x9.5s for now while I'm figuring the car and hohos out some. They will become my daily wheels eventually. I'm going to leave my ESP entry in for the texas tour. I may be on stock suspension. We'll see.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
On the lookout for tow packages as well. Starting the tire trailer sourcing and have a couple sets of free Hoho's sourced frome ex-stock class guys. They are going on cheap, SRE drift 19x9.5s for now while I'm figuring the car and hohos out some. They will become my daily wheels eventually. I'm going to leave my ESP entry in for the texas tour. I may be on stock suspension. We'll see.
tell me about it - i've got a used set of 295/30R19s from nats a couple years ago still in the garage, along with another couple sets of sticker 295s and 285s :(

good luck in texas, i'm hoping i'll have enough parts here to keep everybody honest @ crows in april - although brian peters is taking the class by storm in john hogan's car, so really, i don't have much of a chance, especially since i may well be driving it setup for the first time! should be fun regardless :)

Sponsored

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, did drawtite show something other than this available?

http://www.draw-tite.com/products/t...iv-motorhome/L3Sl4yNcOS2r0FQSgKEZRNm1i!5Alm|u

That's a class III, a bit of overkill.

Brian Burdette showed me all the crap he was able to get inside his car, so I might try that for a while.

He had a set of 295 hoosiers, jack, cooler, all kinds of stuff.

I had a hard time just getting 4 255/35-18's in the car. I guess we'll see

***my tire totes just came in. I'll post a pic when my phone charges on packing wheels.***

The 295/35-19's on 19x9.5's stacked on top of each other in the back using the wheel well, but I know 315x10's won't fit that way. I think I might be able to get three 315's in the back, but probably not with the passenger seat usable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
so i finally had a chance to confirm if my 11-14 curt hitch works on my 15. it doesn't :(
it's actually the right width to mate with the frame rails, but only one hole is in the right place - and the plate is angled so that i can't even drill another hole to match what's on the car.

that said, curt has a 15-specific part now:
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/11405

i picked mine up for about $200 on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-11405-Receiver-Class-Mustang/dp/B00UXG33T6/

i'll be pairing it with this trailer, which has served me well for a very long time:

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are we going to have an issue with going to a Coil-over in the rear, rules-wise?

I had one of the ESP competitors ask me at the Texas Tour about the legality of relocating the Spring to the shock for the S550.

I can see where he get's that from the rules.

Intermediate mounting points (e.g., shock/spring mounts) may not be moved or relocated on the arm, except as incidental
to the camber adjustment.

?

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Are we going to have an issue with going to a Coil-over in the rear, rules-wise?

I had one of the ESP competitors ask me at the Texas Tour about the legality of relocating the Spring to the shock for the S550.

I can see where he get's that from the rules.

?
correct, rear coilovers aren't legal in ESP, per 15.8.A. a slight pisser, since the math tells me that i'm going to need a 1000lbs+ spring in the stock location (bordering on custom wound territory), but it is what it is.

phrenetiK

IF YOU QUOTE PICS I H8 U
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaros Race Red
can you guys tell me which class i need to run in?

20x10 wheels all the way around with 275 front 305 rear

catback exhaust

lowering springs
Sponsored