Sponsored

Break In - Avoiding the same speed for too long

Monster_Load

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT Premium, 2007 Tundra Limited
I don't know of any special break-in motor oil that FoMoCo or BMW uses. I do know that metal particulates appear in the oil as a result of initial break in, hence the early first oil change I believe in (and always a high quality filter with an anti drain-back check valve, not a basic Fram).
Honda is the only manufacturer, IIRC, that has a break in oil and recommends you NOT change it early.

Any metal particles of size are going to be picked up by the oil filter.
Sponsored

Ski3143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP/50th/DIB
Ugh. Hopefully picking mine up tomorrow and I don't want to wreck the inside of the engine or miss out on possible HP boosts. I'm more confused than I was when I started reading this thread

Solow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/ 1990 Mustang GT
Just get in it drive it how you want. Newer engines have tighter tolerances so the break in period really is not needed. Mine had 63 miles on it when I left the lot, by mile number 65 it had seen a brief WOT and 80+ mph cruising speed on the interstate :)

DeepImpactBlue2015EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium & '13 Kia Optima
I've heard from several mechanics that changing the oil early is actually not good, I know Honda for sure has "break in" oil in all their new cars and is not recommended to due an early oil change. Not sure about other manufacturers but I think it's stupid changing your oil after 1,000-1,500 miles

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I have broken in many a new car and rebuilt 3 engines. The key for me (all 3 engines are still in service) is drive it normally with varied RPM, and change the oil and filter early, like 1500 miles. The thing that is tight on a new engine is the rings seating with the cylinders, that's it. That takes miles (500 or so) to lossen that friction so it's pointless to go WOT anyway. A normal RPM range of 3-4k is alll it needs. I would not worry, unless you just hit the cruise right from the dealer @ 2k for a 2 hour drive, even then its probobly not a problem since you will experience different loads during that time.

Like an earlier poster said really just drive it normally for at least the first 500 miles before you engage in a street race (I added the last part).
Sorry to bring this back to life, but with an Auto box, should I just keep it in D and keep away from the S mode and the Paddles? and how long should I drive like this for?
Have never owned a brand new motor, and what sort of speeds should I be looking at to do? on the UK roads you have 70 on the motorways a lot with 50 and around town 30. Also i will have adaptive cruise should i keep that off till the car is broken in?
And one thing i find interesting, the Demo cars Ford have on their dealer lots are they broken in? as in the UK after 6 months when they get newer demo cars they sell off the old ones, and not at a cheaper price. the bonus for the UK people is they get a car straight away don't need to wait nearly a year

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i'm just driving mine like i drive all my cars ..vary rpm,s get on it from time to time ( no red line pinning) i left the dealer with 26 miles on the clock. and it was a hr and a half ride home. half city driving half highway..i just varied my rpms. i now have 520 miles on it .i am going to change the oil at about 1000 miles, and go with my amsoil that ive used in all my cars . 1000 miles is plenty for everything to break in, motor and trans, and clutch. ive done it on plenty other cars that ive done clutch replacments, rebiulds and have always had good results. and by no means does this mean after 1k beat the hell out of it lol... just drive it like you normally do with some spirited driving included

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Magnetic
No where have I seen anyone say Ford uses a special break in oil. I highlh doubt it's anything but the standard synthetic blend.

Do this: warm the engine up, take it out and do some nice pulls and let it wind down under engine power like Darren was saying. You're not going to hurt your motor with a hard break in. Swap the oil at 1000 miles and send it in for testing if you feel so inclined.

Just got my car and drove it 350 miles on the autobahn. You bet it was driven hard with varied Rpm's. I didn't take it to redline but I was shifting around 5500-6000 rpms. I'll be sending it in for analysis here in Germany when I change the oil at 1000 miles.

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
God this topic is like the oil threads... Let me help clear things up.
Break your engine in like the guy said and not like what the other guy said.
AND
Change your oil when that guy said so and not when the other guy said so.
You will be good.
Sponsored