Steeda Sway Bar Review - 2wheel4me!

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
In case people are wondering the drop in the front ended up at 1" and the rear drop is .75"

I took some potato pictures next to another GT PP today that I can share with you guys. No good ones yet though sorry about that
uploadfromtaptalk1421867899885.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1421867967251.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1421868057986.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1421868085965.jpg
Sponsored

Getz5.0

I Am Groot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Getz
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor, 2015 Mustang GT
My stance with the Steeda Springs and Front/Rear Sway Bars. Very happy!
Steeda Springs.jpg
Steeda Springs 2.jpg

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GTPP, Much-Modded Fiat 500 Sport, 911 Carrera S
Looks great; what setting did you start with for the swaybars? Should be a big handling difference, it sure was for my car!

Getz5.0

I Am Groot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Getz
Vehicle(s)
I went with the second setting on both based on your feedback. I also did an initial alignment.

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Congrats! Can't wait for your ride and handling feedback. Actually I started with and still have mine so far on the outermost (least stiff setting) and that was a huge improvement in roll reduction and handling with almost no penalty in ride. I will consider trying the second setting the next time it goes in, which will be for the G-Trac brace. On the other hand it might make sense to leave it as it is to better feel the difference (if any) of adding the G-Trac brace, and then try the second positions later, perhaps when I probably replace the shifter with the upcoming Barton unit. But the roll is already very much in control and nearly non-existent as is. If you note any significant ride penalty, consider backing off to the first setting. It will still handle remarkably well.

Sponsored

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Congrats! Can't wait for your ride and handling feedback. Actually I started with and still have mine so far on the outermost (least stiff setting) and that was a huge improvement in roll reduction and handling with almost no penalty in ride. I will consider trying the second setting the next time it goes in, which will be for the G-Trac brace. On the other hand it might make sense to leave it as it is to better feel the difference (if any) of adding the G-Trac brace, and then try the second positions later, perhaps when I probably replace the shifter with the upcoming Barton unit. But the roll is already very much in control and nearly non-existent as is. If you note any significant ride penalty, consider backing off to the first setting. It will still handle remarkably well.
If you haven't already looked at it I would recommend that you check out MGW's shifter over the Barton. I had Barton's in my last mustang but the MGW just looks better. The reviews for MGW are amazing as well from '11-'14 owners so I have been swayed and already have myself on the preorder list for it.

On paper they are very similar but looking at them both it's very obvious that the MGW is much more solid.

Getz5.0

I Am Groot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Getz
Vehicle(s)
Good copy John. I will give you guys my feedback once I get a couple more miles on it. Just got the car back but so far I can tell a huge difference in the control. It just "feels" like a race car now. So much fun to drive! I don't have any plans on doing the G-Trac Brace on this build, but look forward to hearing your feedback. I am also doing the MGW Shifter as soon as they are available.

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
If you haven't already looked at it I would recommend that you check out MGW's shifter over the Barton. I had Barton's in my last mustang but the MGW just looks better. The reviews for MGW are amazing as well from '11-'14 owners so I have been swayed and already have myself on the preorder list for it.

On paper they are very similar but looking at them both it's very obvious that the MGW is much more solid.
Thanks for the recommendation. My attraction to the new Barton shifter is the attention to eliminating the NVH while still providing accurate, short-throw shifting, with the amount of center-springing and throw "adjustable". It also appears to be a quite different design from its predecessor. The MGW looks really great, but strikes me more as a race-spec rifle-bolt like action which is great for power shifting, but it seems to have less attention paid to NVH reduction. Am I wrong? I will take another look at the MGW for sure.

Barton shifter construction:

[ame]

Last edited:

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Good copy John. I will give you guys my feedback once I get a couple more miles on it. Just got the car back but so far I can tell a huge difference in the control. It just "feels" like a race car now. So much fun to drive! I don't have any plans on doing the G-Trac Brace on this build, but look forward to hearing your feedback. I am also doing the MGW Shifter as soon as they are available.
That's great news that your car feels so much improved and fun, too. :headbang:

I'm guessing that the G-Trac brace effect on my car will be subtle, but noticeable with the other suspension issues already mostly sorted out. And it is quite inexpensive and easy/cheap to install. I have found this sort of progression to be true on other cars, too, where little changes cannot be felt until the major issues are resolved.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I went with the second setting on both based on your feedback. I also did an initial alignment.
Be careful with both set in the middle.

Last week I got a surprise that has me thinking about setting the rear back to the outside setting. While on a turn I take daily I was pushing it a bit more than I used to and the rear came around pretty easily without warning. I was going about 50 and was all of a sudden looking at the ditch on the side of the road. I was able to pull it back in, but the shock of it coming around without warning got the juices flowing. I think with front and rear in the middle it may be a bit too stiff in the rear causing it to want to oversteer a bit.

I'm going to either go back one setting in the rear or up one in the front to change the balance. Also, this could be another sign telling what I know, that the Pirelli's suck and I need to buy some PSS'. :)

Sponsored

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Be careful with both set in the middle.

Last week I got a surprise that has me thinking about setting the rear back to the outside setting. While on a turn I take daily I was pushing it a bit more than I used to and the rear came around pretty easily without warning. I was going about 50 and was all of a sudden looking at the ditch on the side of the road. I was able to pull it back in, but the shock of it coming around without warning got the juices flowing. I think with front and rear in the middle it may be a bit too stiff in the rear causing it to want to oversteer a bit.

I'm going to either go back one setting in the rear or up one in the front to change the balance. Also, this could be another sign telling what I know, that the Pirelli's suck and I need to buy some PSS'. :)
That can be quite the scare.

I have the least stiff setting on the swaybars and it is sticking like glue when pushed hard on every turn so far, almost all of them above 50 mph and many quite sharp and still on the Pirellis...

Are you running with 32lbs cold tire pressure or about 35 warm?? Cold pavement and cold tires? Was there any sand or gravel in the corner? A mid-corner bump perhaps? Maybe the bars are indeed set too stiff for the street? Hmmmm.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
That can be quite the scare.

I have the least stiff setting on the swaybars and it is sticking like glue when pushed hard on every turn so far, almost all of them above 50 mph and many quite sharp and still on the Pirellis...

Are you running with 32lbs cold tire pressure or about 35 warm?? Cold pavement and cold tires? Was there any sand or gravel in the corner? A mid-corner bump perhaps? Maybe the bars are indeed set too stiff for the street? Hmmmm.
I'm running at 34/35 warm and it was about 65F that day.

The corner is one that is a 90 degree turn that is slightly off-camber and I expected a little bit of a slide. In my Z51 I can hit that turn about 65 and get just a little bit of a slide, but not a full rotation. That's what I was hoping for with this car, but I think I have to play with the bar settings a bit more so it's not so tail happy.

But again, it could also be in part the tires since my last 4 cars have had Pilot Super Sport and they are pretty good about not just letting go fully if you're not mashing on the gas. The Pirelli's didn't give me any signs before "Hey, see that ditch and guard rail that was to your right? It's now in front of you and the guy in the Nissan that was trying to follow you is crapping his pants!"

:D

My point is just to be safe while learning the new limits of the car with the mods.

Getz5.0

I Am Groot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Getz
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the heads up! I was able to take "Groot" out for some good hard testing today (Props to the SoCal weather!) and so far I am good with the settings. Pure fun and got some great GoPro video cruising the coast in Del Mar!

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Curious about thoughts of adding just sway bars, without the lowering springs. I have to go over speed bumps coming in to base everyday, and not sure if I would want to lower it.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Curious about thoughts of adding just sway bars, without the lowering springs. I have to go over speed bumps coming in to base everyday, and not sure if I would want to lower it.
Good thought, I can tell you we've gone over numerous speed bumps with our springs installed and haven't run into any clearance issues whatsoever!
Sponsored