Sponsored

Throttle pedal position

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I've read a couple of posts where people are complaining of the position of the gas pedal in relation to the other two pedals as far as height is concerned.

Is this an issue that bothers many? I intend to make a part to correct the situation. If there are a few people who want this mod I'll sub it out to a local engineering firm and get a few made.
Sponsored

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Never had an issue, I'm not heel and toeing though.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would imagine it's only an issue if you're looking to heel and toe which most people probably aren't.

I've got umpteen plastic spacers under mine and keep meaning to getting around to putting a couple more under there.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. I'm guessing you're right on the heel and toe issue.

I can't check because I don't have my GT at the moment.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have the Steeda pedals in mine and whilst the side extension is useful, it's the height difference that's the najor issue.

Think mine is around 1" higher than standard and could still do with another 1/2". It's ok if you're on track and hammering the brake pedal but at the effort required for road driving it's still too low.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Steeda pedals in mine and whilst the side extension is useful, it's the height difference that's the najor issue.

Think mine is around 1" higher than standard and could still do with another 1/2". It's ok if you're on track and hammering the brake pedal but at the effort required for road driving it's still too low.
That's what I thought? The RS has the same issue and I hate it. It's like the other pedals are too high but all we can do is raise the throttle pedal.

So, is it really 38mm it needs to come up?

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
That's what I thought? The RS has the same issue and I hate it. It's like the other pedals are too high but all we can do is raise the throttle pedal.

So, is it really 38mm it needs to come up?
Just to add a bit of hopefully useful information based on my own observations; if you're just going to drive on the road at a reasonable pace then you'll probably find a spacer to bring the throttle pedal up works well. But if you do start to drive a little bit enthusiastically/go on a track day and really start to nail the brakes then the standard pedal position works really well, so in that situation the spacer would probably mean your throttle would be too high. With a bit of practice and experimentation I managed to find a way of getting a reasonable heel and toe for road driving without any spacers, then when I did go a little bit harder the standard pedal positions came into their own - but at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference and being comfortable :thumbsup:.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume when you say the pedal needs to move "up", you mean towards your nose rather than vertically up yeah?

I wish I had my car here to look at.

Sponsored

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I assume when you say the pedal needs to move "up", you mean towards your nose rather than vertically up yeah?

I wish I had my car here to look at.
Yep, up as in the direction of travel of the pedal - so yes, towards your foot rather than your nose I would think :D
But as I said, if you're ever going to really get on the brakes hard then a spacer will actually make things worse if you want to heel and toe. If you're purely looking for smoother shifts for normal road driving I found a) going up; hold onto 1st for a few more revs than you think you should, don't rush the change and make sure the clutch is all the way out before you get on the throttle (not rushing the up-shift applies to all changes, but hanging on to the revs only really applies for 1st to 2nd) b) going down; either try and adapt to the regular set up by experimenting with a few different things, or instead of heel and toe the trusty old double de-clutch usually does the trick! :) ..... this is all relating to the GT of course, no idea if the EB has the same issues.

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
I Just had a look at SWMBO's 2008 Focus and to my surprise the throttle pedal is also about an inch lower than the brake - could have sworn they were level and although I don't drive it that often it has never presented a problem for me - maybe all Fords are like this?

However, with the current set up in the Mustang and because I can't bend my right ankle, to sit in a seat position forward enough to push the pedal down to get WOT I'm too far forward for the brake and clutch.

I've thought about installing [MENTION=22385]Steeda UK[/MENTION]'s pedal but I'm reluctant to do any drilling at this time...

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just had a look at SWMBO's 2008 Focus and to my surprise the throttle pedal is also about an inch lower than the brake - could have sworn they were level and although I don't drive it that often it has never presented a problem for me - maybe all Fords are like this?
My Focus RS is also the same. When I get my mustang back I'll look into this. I will be able to make you a spacer to lift the pedal which will not require any drilling whatsoever, but it will be for "Track use only".

-z-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Peddars + Lund
I had the same issue, I love heeling and toeing, it was my main reason for wanting a manual again after DCT in my previous car so I had to sort it.

I bought the Steeda gas pedal and got the great guys at GT101 to make up a spacer to lift it. Its more or less perfect now and made having it on track way more enjoyable.

Sponsored