Sponsored

1st to 2nd difficult shift?

LBStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 V6 MT
I got my car about a month ago and I have smooth shifts. However, one thing that still bothers me is the 1st to 2nd shift. I discovered for smoothness, I have to basically do a slow shift, which means I'm always slow off the line. How do you guys shift 1 to 2? Is there a way to shift faster without dealing with the jerkiness?
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I Switched my transfluid to Royal purple Syncro- max, it cleaned up that 1-2 shift nicely. After about 20000 miles of wearing in now, I'd totally forgotten about that 2nd gear "notchiness". give it a shot, the factory fill was very thin, "like black piss" some one called it.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
You mean it phsyically jerking, not the 1-2 shifter notch? I had that for about the first month, and its still EVER SO SLIGHTLY present, but I've gotten the shifts down pretty good in the first 2 months of owning.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Ive had my car for over 2 years now and have driven MT for about 6 years. This is by far the hardest car for me to smoothly shift from 1-2, although pretty much everything else after that is butter.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive had my car for over 2 years now and have driven MT for about 6 years. This is by far the hardest car for me to smoothly shift from 1-2, although pretty much everything else after that is butter.
It definitely takes some finesse! It loves to bounce.

OP
OP

LBStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 V6 MT
Yea it's like a "bouncing" type of feel. What I'm doing rn is getting up to 3.5k and legit waiting it to drop to around 2.75k before shifting to 2nd, which is slow and I want to speed up the process.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've found you have to release clutch a little bit smoother(slower), and give it a bit more gas than usual in 2nd. Usually catches with 0 bounciness. Only time I ever get it anymore is if I am tired and release clutch far too quickly. Also if you let the rev match hold it, and release smooth you shouldn't have an issue.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
To truly minimize this you either have to go with the MGW shifter or go the more affordable route which is to do Energy suspension shifter bushing, upgraded Boomba trans mount, and upgraded motor mounts in trinity to keep everything in place. The stock stuff is too soggy. I would also look into doing upgraded diff bushings and BMR cradle lockouts as well. I haven't done the BG fluid yet but so far these mods have nearly eliminated shifting lockouts and makes the car feel much more sorted.

OP
OP

LBStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 V6 MT
I've found you have to release clutch a little bit smoother(slower), and give it a bit more gas than usual in 2nd. Usually catches with 0 bounciness. Only time I ever get it anymore is if I am tired and release clutch far too quickly. Also if you let the rev match hold it, and release smooth you shouldn't have an issue.
Wait does the car come with rev matching?

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait does the car come with rev matching?
To shift into a higher gear yes. I believe it holds for 3 secinds. Watch your rpms when you press the clutch to shift. They'll drop ~400 and hold.

My ONLY issue with it is that the car drops rpms so damn slowly that it is nearly useless unless I want to take 2 seconds to shift. Even exaggerating the motion I can shift before it rev matches lol

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
To truly minimize this you either have to go with the MGW shifter or go the more affordable route which is to do Energy suspension shifter bushing, upgraded Boomba trans mount, and upgraded motor mounts in trinity to keep everything in place. The stock stuff is too soggy. I would also look into doing upgraded diff bushings and BMR cradle lockouts as well. I haven't done the BG fluid yet but so far these mods have nearly eliminated shifting lockouts and makes the car feel much more sorted.

I'm so glad I got a auto tranny. Paddle shifting just like a manual and if you look at all the Mustangs sold in 2015 to 2017 more auto tranny's were sold over manual's

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
Ford Tranny

No wonder everybody having tranny problums there made in China. If you research were Ford's parts are made you'll learn the tranny's are made in China.

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6

I'm so glad I got a auto tranny. Paddle shifting just like a manual and if you look at all the Mustangs sold in 2015 to 2017 more auto tranny's were sold over manual's
I am glad you got an automatic as well. No need to have anyone being a danger to themselves and others because they do not have the skill set for a manual. The few, the proud, the stick shift soldiers.

As for the OPs question, its all about timing and that comes with experience. Removing the spring helped tremendously.