Sponsored

Coolant line exploded on the motorway

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
If it is as you say a dislodged hose, have they given any indication as to why it came off? Is the system pressurised by a leaking head gasket?
Sponsored

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If it is as you say a dislodged hose, have they given any indication as to why it came off? Is the system pressurised by a leaking head gasket?
They've reattached the hose but coolant is still pouring from it. So there must be a blown seal somewhere. I doubt its a head gasket as the engine still runs fine and there was no steam when it happened. A quick google search shows that failing water pumps have happened from time to time in the states on both the EB and GT.

If I had to hazard a guess:
Bad pump -> pressure build up -> hose popped off under pressure -> no fluid in the pump = fucked pump/seals.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They've reattached the hose but coolant is still pouring from it. So there must be a blown seal somewhere. I doubt its a head gasket as the engine still runs fine and there was no steam when it happened. A quick google search shows that failing water pumps have happened from time to time in the states on both the EB and GT.

If I had to hazard a guess:
Bad pump -> pressure build up -> hose popped off under pressure -> no fluid in the pump = fucked pump/seals.
Right.. that makes sense. Plus the fact a lot of manufacturers now put plastic impellers in their pumps to save money.

I mean really, a plastic moulding pressed onto a steel splined shaft, spinning up to circa 5000rpm and seeing constant temperature changes of any thing from -10°c to plus 110°c.
Nah, that'll never fail!!:frusty::frusty:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Right.. that makes sense. Plus the fact a lot of manufacturers now put plastic impellers in their pumps to save money.

I mean really, a plastic moulding pressed onto a steel splined shaft, spinning up to circa 5000rpm and seeing constant temperature changes of any thing from -10°c to plus 110°c.
Nah, that'll never fail!!:frusty::frusty:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTeQQelDXZyJOF2SE_4bsD1oCHFGkmI9vX1KZrAYlVDAbYugMmNA.jpg

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just got a call back from The dealership. They've had to order a new oil pump according to the guy on other end of the phone. I assume he means oil cooler as coolant doesn't go through the pump.

I'll have an ETA tomorrow.

Colour me biblically confused.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Uh... so you lost COOLANT right? Oil pump has nothing to do with that. Maybe they meant to say water pump? The oil goes through the radiator to cool the oil but that is fed by the oil pump I thought. If your oil pump failed... well... you have bigger issues than a burst coolant line.

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
I just got a call back from The dealership. They've had to order a new oil pump according to the guy on other end of the phone. I assume he means oil cooler as coolant doesn't go through the pump.

I'll have an ETA tomorrow.

Colour me biblically confused.
Do you think you had the oil cooler failure like me?

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Uh... so you lost COOLANT right? Oil pump has nothing to do with that. Maybe they meant to say water pump? The oil goes through the radiator to cool the oil but that is fed by the oil pump I thought. If your oil pump failed... well... you have bigger issues than a burst coolant line.
If coolant got into the oily bits inside the engine I'll be pretty pissed. I assume he meant oil cooler, not oil pump, as Jimboy seems to be hinting at an oil cooler issue.

Do you think you had the oil cooler failure like me?
Can you give me the Cliff's Notes versions of the failure? Maybe a broken connection to the oil cooler was what the dealership was originally talking about, rather than a bad hose (or does a hose lead to the cooler? I'm not sure).

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One would assume that if the oil pressure found its way into the coolant system it would break something as it will be many times higher in pressure than the coolant system is designed to handle?

I think the dealer meant water pump in all honesty, but the guy in the phone probably didn't have a clue what he was on about.

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ah! NVM Jim I found your thread.

I don't think its the cooler at all, then. My coolant didn't mix with oil, and the coolant just exploded out of the engine in one go.

Maybe the lad at the dealership DID mean water pump rather than oil pump. I forgot to mention that when I got home, there was a small puddle of coolant on the floor.

Little bit of extra reading and, yeah, convinced its the water pump now as its showing all the symptoms of it. I'll call them tomorrow and double check he meant water pump. If not I'll be asking for a good explanation.

Sponsored
OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just got a call from the dealership.

It is the oil cooler, he apologised for the error when he said it was the pump.

It's two rubber grommets that have went bad in the cooler for the coolant line. Thankfully nothing has mixed with the oil.

The grommets are fixed to the cooler. So they are asking ford for just the grommets on their own as they aren't in the parts catalogue.

If they can't get the grommets, it will require stripping the entire front of the car, which is terrifying. :(

I've already asked Kia to keep me updated on pricing for the new Stinger GT.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just got a call from the dealership.

It is the oil cooler, he apologised for the error when he said it was the pump.

It's two rubber grommets that have went bad in the cooler for the coolant line. Thankfully nothing has mixed with the oil.

The grommets are fixed to the cooler. So they are asking ford for just the grommets on their own as they aren't in the parts catalogue.

If they can't get the grommets, it will require stripping the entire front of the car, which is terrifying. :(

I've already asked Kia to keep me updated on pricing for the new Stinger GT.
Interesting. Would be good to get their ideas on just how exactly they "went bad" - can you ask when you get a chance?

Daunting as it is, at least replacing the whole thing will bring a bit more peace of mind, just in case it the root cause of the grommets was caused by something else.

Stressful times

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Interesting. Would be good to get their ideas on just how exactly they "went bad" - can you ask when you get a chance?

Daunting as it is, at least replacing the whole thing will bring a bit more peace of mind, just in case it the root cause of the grommets was caused by something else.

Stressful times
They're going to phone me back on Friday. So I'll ask for more information then.

OP
OP
benanderson89

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would ask for your cooler to be replaced while they are at it. Are you in the affected batch? last thing you want is this issue to pop up down the line
I was a later production run (landed in March '16), so no. It is simply an unfortunate cooincidence that it's also affecting the oil cooler (technically the lines leading into the cooler). No coolant mixed with the oil and it's an unrelated fault from the sounds of it.

This is why they want the rubber grommets for the end of the pipes rather than the entire cooler itself, as the cooler has no problems.
Sponsored