CJ Pony Parts

CJ Pony Parts

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
A large variety of Mustangs across all generations
My question [MENTION=20475]Dave@CJPP[/MENTION] is do you have any knowledge how this sounds compared to the Borla mid muffler? I am currently running a unique setup consisting of Kooks long tubes into Kooks "green" cats into Borla mid muffler into Borla mid pipes cut to work with Roush quad tip "active" exhaust.

After installing the headers I first tried everything mentioned above but with a Borla X pipe instead of the Borla mid muffler and when in "Sport" or "Track" mode of the Roush Active control it was too loud. I then swapped in the Borla mid muffler, (which is why I made my setup this way so I could simply interchange the X pipe and mid muffler) and its quieter than I would like lol.

Any idea if this X-onator you collaborated to produce is louder than the Borla mid muffler? I hope I didn't confuse you trying to describe my setup.

I was going to start looking for inline type resonators to add on each mid pipe after the Borla X pipe but maybe this is the answer???
We never had a chance to do any testing or comparison with that Borla Mid-Muffler. But because of that being a part of their touring system which is typically very tame, I can see this being slightly more aggressive then that.

To me, it sounds like this would be a perfect solution for the combination you have going on.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
We never had a chance to do any testing or comparison with that Borla Mid-Muffler. But because of that being a part of their touring system which is typically very tame, I can see this being slightly more aggressive then that.

To me, it sounds like this would be a perfect solution for the combination you have going on.
Well, only one way to find out so my order has been placed :)

I only wish this was made with 304 stainless to match the rest of my exhaust and not rust up :( Any chance I can option for this?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying you think this Magnaflow will sound similar to me putting the X pipe back in then installing inline resonators? Which is a good thing if true.

That said would installing the Magnaflow X resonator have more volume than the Borla mid muffler?

That said would Borla X into inline resonators have more volume than the Borla mid muffler?

That said am I s.o.l and all 3 options are pretty much he same lol
I'd imagine they'd all be very close in volume, and this would be pretty similar to the X-pipe with inline resonators behind it, possibly a little deeper.

The Borla mid muffler has just a little bit more volume than the stock resonator, as does this. This may be louder but probably would be hard to tell. The tonal difference would be bigger than the volume between the two.

Here's before and after of stock resonator (closer to an H design) to this resonated X-pipe:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1786672&postcount=109

OP
OP
CJ Pony Parts

CJ Pony Parts

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
A large variety of Mustangs across all generations
Well, only one way to find out so my order has been placed :)

I only wish this was made with 304 stainless to match the rest of my exhaust and not rust up :( Any chance I can option for this?
Sorry, no option for 304.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
looking forward to the install video..any idea what mods the car will have that you plan the install on? hopefully a headers car..

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd imagine they'd all be very close in volume, and this would be pretty similar to the X-pipe with inline resonators behind it, possibly a little deeper.

The Borla mid muffler has just a little bit more volume than the stock resonator, as does this. This may be louder but probably would be hard to tell. The tonal difference would be bigger than the volume between the two.

Here's before and after of stock resonator (closer to an H design) to this resonated X-pipe:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1786672&postcount=109
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I guess I'll be the test dummy and see if there is a difference. Why not? Someone needs to do it, it may as well be me lol

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I guess I'll be the test dummy and see if there is a difference. Why not? Someone needs to do it, it may as well be me lol
All I can go by is the data points I have, which are:

1. The Borla mid muffler is ~2 dB louder than the stock resonator (depends on axleback paired with it, but it's a small but noticeable increase)
2. This Magnaflow mid muffler is just a little bit louder than the stock resonator (1 to 2 dB would be a reasonable assessment)

It's going to be close. I think the Roush rear section will sound better with this resonated X than a resonated H, but everyone has their own opinion! I'm very happy with it even though mine is custom and welded in.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All I can go by is the data points I have, which are:

1. The Borla mid muffler is ~2 dB louder than the stock resonator (depends on axleback paired with it, but it's a small but noticeable increase)
2. This Magnaflow mid muffler is just a little bit louder than the stock resonator (1 to 2 dB would be a reasonable assessment)

It's going to be close. I think the Roush rear section will sound better with this resonated X than a resonated H, but everyone has their own opinion! I'm very happy with it even though mine is custom and welded in.
Do you know if the Maggie is shorter than the Borla? Just curious that's all. I'm sure your right that it won't be anything extremely noticeable volume wise I'm hoping the tone will be a change I like more.

I hate not having 304 so I think I'll spray the pipes with high heat black to prevent the nasty rust that will overtake them. Looks like the resonator is 304 so that's good.

I'll be sure to keep you posted

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if the Maggie is shorter than the Borla? Just curious that's all. I'm sure your right that it won't be anything extremely noticeable volume wise I'm hoping the tone will be a change I like more.

I hate not having 304 so I think I'll spray the pipes with high heat black to prevent the nasty rust that will overtake them. Looks like the resonator is 304 so that's good.

I'll be sure to keep you posted
It is definitely a shorter muffler.

Sponsored

BruceStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I'm interested in this to get rid of my raspy setup - My question @Dave@CJPP I have the Kooks: 1151H410 Cat less long tube headers that connect to Ford Performance: M-5200-M8SBV Cat-Back Exhaust System Quad Tip Sport 2-1/2" With GT350 Rear Valance. Would ordering this Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonator get rid of my rasp or should I order an H Pipe? When will the Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonator be available?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in this to get rid of my raspy setup - My question @Dave@CJPP I have the Kooks: 1151H410 Cat less long tube headers that connect to Ford Performance: M-5200-M8SBV Cat-Back Exhaust System Quad Tip Sport 2-1/2" With GT350 Rear Valance. Would ordering this Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonator get rid of my rasp or should I order an H Pipe? When will the Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonator be available?
It should connect but you'd have to cut your FRPP midpipes to do it. It will not be direct bolt-in. This will tame rasp a lot and lower volume quite significantly. With catless headers this would still be a loud system, just not crazy loud (about as loud as it was before headers, if I had to give a best guess).

BruceStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
It should connect but you'd have to cut your FRPP midpipes to do it. It will not be direct bolt-in. This will tame rasp a lot and lower volume quite significantly. With catless headers this would still be a loud system, just not crazy loud (about as loud as it was before headers, if I had to give a best guess).
Would an H Pipe be a direct swap for my current X Pipe?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Bruce - if you're wanting to tone down the rasp, don't replace your reg X with a reg H. Those are just bare pipes and although the tone may change slightly, you'll still have the rasp.

This Magnaflow Tru-X is a muffler with packing, etc. that just happens to be shaped as an X internally. I've used this on 2 previous cars and it's always taken the "edge" off the sound and produced a smoother, cleaner rumble if that makes sense.

Do it!

mojo2008

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Am I correct in assuming the volume after installation is somewhere between stock resonator and resonator delete? Trying to figure out how to tone down my Roush axle backs that are currently installed with an h-pipe resonator delete.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.