Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I was thinking about this - if there is to be a Mach1, what would Ford do with the hood? With the lowered front end now in place, it seems like a shaker scoop stacked way up on top would look all kinds of awkward. The SN95 Mach had an additional rise to enclose the scoop base, then the actual scoop protruded up above that. That sort of set up combined with the low grill opening would look very tall. OTOH, the recent changes to the front would coordinate with a NACA duct hood, like on the '71-'73 cars, quite well. Or at least that's how I'd envision it...
I agree. With the styling approach of the S550 and, now, the '18MY, I think a shaker hood would look out of place.

NACA ducts would work well, at least in terms of looks. Ideally you'd want those to be functional though. I guess they could help cool the engine, but given the air intake position on the S550, I'm guessing there's no chance these could be used as a "Ram air" feature.

The NACA ducts would also tie in with the "triangular" styling features of the '18's front end.

My other thought has long been for a clear screen to show off the engine. The most recent to use this was VMP with their SEMA car.... (and I still can't decide if I like this idea or not!!)

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 in Torch Red w/ Auto
I agree. With the styling approach of the S550 and, now, the '18MY, I think a shaker hood would look out of place.

NACA ducts would work well, at least in terms of looks. Ideally you'd want those to be functional though. I guess they could help cool the engine, but given the air intake position on the S550, I'm guessing there's no chance these could be used as a "Ram air" feature.

The NACA ducts would also tie in with the "triangular" styling features of the '18's front end.

My other thought has long been for a clear screen to show off the engine. The most recent to use this was VMP with their SEMA car.... (and I still can't decide if I like this idea or not!!)
I'm just biased towards a shaker as I think it looks beautiful on my new edge mach. I love being able to see it shake, plus the sound I get when I really get on it (from the ram air intake I suppose) is something I'll always love.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I can't see them going bigger than 5.2 litres.

The Ford Performance Aluminator XS crate engine is at 5.2 litres, and I'm really hoping for a production version of that

1474635225164.jpg

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I can't see them going bigger than 5.2 litres.

The Ford Performance Aluminator XS crate engine is at 5.2 litres, and I'm really hoping for a production version of that

1474635225164.jpg

They could raise the deck height...
Just like the 5.4/5.8 when compared to the 4.6 line up.
Remember, the Coyote/Voodoo share bore center and deck height measurements with the mod motors.
Hoping history repeats itself.........

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Sure would be nice to meet Chevy and Mopar head to head with a little more displacement.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
With all the engine upgrades made for the 2018 Mustang GT, I just don't see a 2018 Mach 1 coming .Maybe there could be a 2019 Mach 1.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
No Special Model until April 2019.
But that would make it a '20MY, right? :(

If that's the case, no 50th Anniversary Mach 1.

I have to say though, despite me really, really wanting to see a Mach 1, what "evidence" do we have?

Sure, the initial rumours were started when Ford renewed the Mach 1 trademark. Of course, this could simply be so that no-one else gets their hands on it in the future.

However, there was that white prototype with the quad tips spotted back in April '16. Could that not just have been an early prototype for the '18MY GT?

Then of course, there's that 5.2 CPC Aluminator XS crate engine. That is just screaming out to become a production engine.

Surely, too, there would only be room for a Mach 1 if the GT350 stops production at the end of the '18MY?

So many questions......so few answers. Typical bleedin' Ford :ford:

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
However, there was that white prototype with the quad tips spotted back in April '16. Could that not just have been an early prototype for the '18MY GT?
This is my fear, I hope that white mule spotted is a halo mustang instead of a mule for the 18 GT.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
With GM leaking the 6.2L LT5, we really need the 5.8 and it be based off of the Voodoo.
Sponsored