Sponsored

Michelin sport which one ??

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Apparently I'm in the market for a complete set of tyres :doh:

I seem to be having a little trouble finding the new Michelins in 275 & 295/35/20.

Anyone have any recommendations?

[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] I can't find your post detailing where you got yours from.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
You can get MPSS in those sizes.

PS4S is 285/35/20 or 295/35/20 K1

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
I've got the MPSS 295/35/20 K1's on the rear (on 10.5J) and they stick to the tarmac like shit to a blanket compared to the P Zero [grip] tyres Ford fobbed us off with... although I've not driven anything with PS4S fitted so what do I know!

K1's have a slightly more rounded sidewall profile which I think looks superb on the rear (quite 'old school') which is slightly stiffer than the standard MPSS and probably does make the rider a little harsher (as Gibbo has mentioned in previous threads), but I like this as you get much more feedback and feel off the rear which makes it easier to predict when you're approaching the limit.

Cheap excuse to post another pic or two...

thumb_IMG_1846_1024.jpg

thumb_CIMG2126_1024.jpg

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You can get MPSS in those sizes.

PS4S is 285/35/20 or 295/35/20 K1
I know. I wanted the latest and greatest since either way they're the thick end of a grand! :doh:

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd advice you guys avoid the K1 tyres.

On MPSS, sidewall is more rounded as Nookie suggest but the compound is different and it really does not switch on as easy, they have the Pzero trait of being shit in the cold and wet performance is not there until they have heat in them at which point they are like voodoo magic.

The PS4S K1 tyre, is not rounded like MPSS but it still suffers from lack of switch on and wet grip under power is not great.

N-Spec versions are absolutely fine, no compound or sidewall change.

Also K1 tyres need more pressure, again due to sidewall, an additional 3-4psi helps a lot for high speed stability.

I would recommended MPSS or PS4S regular versions all day long, only get the K1 tyre if it is critical to the size you need because in short the K1 has less grip particular in cold/wet.

In hindsight I'd of got 10" all round and gone with 285/35/20 all round in either MPSS or PS4S.

I also prefer MPSS for subjective feel, they are simply better than PS4S, but the PS4S does seem to have hugely impressive lateral grip in the wet and they are a touch quieter than MPSS though 20" wider tyres will always make more noise than stock 19" sizes, for the obvious reason their is a bigger air chamber in the tyre to resonate road noise.

That is my take on it. :)

MPSS: Those who push 10/10's in both dry and wet, tyre is hugely communicative.
PS4S: Those who want best lap time and best longevity.
K1 versions: Only if its a must for the size your running and run a higher pressure for high speed stability.

I lost my car twice at 3 digit figures in corners where the car should never have felt un-settled and on the drag strip they could not even handle 25psi without going sideways, the walls are super soft. No doubt something to do with the weight reduction as K1 tyres are around 1kg lighter than none K1.

P.S. Remember PS4S in stock 19" sizes should be beyond amazing as they were specifically built by Michelin for the Mustang Performance Pack MY18, so that tyre should be un-touchable.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Long live the King MPSS ;)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Long live the King MPSS ;)

Yeah I prefer them to be honest, they might not have the absolute on the limit grip PS4S has, but the MPSS is more confident inspiring, particular in the wet.

Half tempted to even re-fit my 19" stock wheels and sell the 20", but I love my wheels so much, LOL.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I prefer them to be honest, they might not have the absolute on the limit grip PS4S has, but the MPSS is more confident inspiring, particular in the wet.

Half tempted to even re-fit my 19" stock wheels and sell the 20", but I love my wheels so much, LOL.
Can't go selling your wheels :O! (Okay maybe you can because you went for old man bling to match old man metalic rather than bad boy black :lol::lol::lol:)

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Got 4 MPSS fitted yesterday, here's the result of the P Zeros last bit of life :D

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I'm sure that's still more tread than plenty of cars on the road are running.
Are the PS4S tyres easy to get hold of in stock sizes for us yet? My MPSS rears are definitely wearing.
Sponsored