Sponsored

PMAS CAI with a LUND / UPR tune?

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
This is the sensible choice, right?

If I get them both at the same time, is it better to get a tune / no tune PMAS?

I was thinking no tune PMAS with a seperate tune (if that makes sense! ;) ), the advantage being if I ever take the LUND/UPR tune off, ive still got a suitable / working PMAS system.

Thoughts appreciated :)
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
This is the sensible choice, right?

If I get them both at the same time, is it better to get a tune / no tune PMAS?

I was thinking no tune PMAS with a seperate tune (if that makes sense! ;) ), the advantage being if I ever take the LUND/UPR tune off, ive still got a suitable / working PMAS system.

Thoughts appreciated :)

My advice.
What I love about Lund is your in constant contact with the guy who wrote your tune file, not a sales guy, but the person who wrote your map, so you send him datalogs and normally same day he will send you a revised tune. It generally takes 2-3 revisions to get a tune spot on.

Also once you flash a car, even returning to stock Ford can still detect it was mapped, so why you would ever return it to stock makes no sense unless selling at which point you'd also re-fit the stock CAI.

My advice:
1. Buy "tune required" PMAS CAI, should be around $299 (Lethal Performance)
2. Buy Lund Octane 93 tune (no need for flex in UK), make sure they know its a UK PP car but make sure they know you have no mechanical oil gauge. Buy the tune and ideally with an SCT X4 handheld, reasoning for this is something you need to do a crank re-learn often when flashing tunes and Ngauge cannot perform that function.

I'd buy the entire kit through Lethal and then send datalogs directly to Lund.

Stock VS PMAS/LUND tune:

That is stock CAI with panel filter on stock tune VS PMAS CAI with Lund tune.

The gains are huge, but the majority of the gain comes from the tune, not the CAI, the cai adds around 15-20lb/ft torque and around 10-15BHP. Whereas the tune adds 20-25lb/ft and 25-30BHP with far improve drive ability.

You will love it, totally transforms the car and you should be able to do it all in for around $1000 shipped which in my view for around 30-40BHP and 40-50lb/ft is well worth it. :)

Also bear in mind any tune revisions from Lund are FREE, so if you ever fit headers, a tune revision is FREE, if you go GT 350 IM and TB they will want $100 I believe but that is ÂŁ75 and no tax or shipping on tune revision. :)

If you were close to my I'd take you out in mine, the car induces whip lash it punches so hard now even in 5th gear.

Also since that dyno Lund have made two more revisions to my tune to extract some more power and safety, so its no doubt gained a few more horses since that run. :)

I am yet to do another proper run, but I reckon my 0-100 time is now sub 10s, that is nearly 2s of the stock car, thats a dramatic improvement in performance, but partially comes from the no need to shift into 4th any more to hit 100. ;)

Reactions: GB
OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
OK, thanks for the info :)

Theres no difference in price between a Lund tune that requires the CAI programming in, I take it?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, thanks for the info :)

Theres no difference in price between a Lund tune that requires the CAI programming in, I take it?

Nope buy an SCT X4 and Lund tune, if you change CAI no charge, if you change exhaust no charge, if you need a revision no charge.

They only charge for when making bigger changes like intake manifold, going turbo or supercharged etc.

Lund & PMAS is a great combo, proven gains and transforms the car.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Nope buy an SCT X4 and Lund tune, if you change CAI no charge, if you change exhaust no charge, if you need a revision no charge.

They only charge for when making bigger changes like intake manifold, going turbo or supercharged etc.

Lund & PMAS is a great combo, proven gains and transforms the car.
Excellent, thanks.

Looks like that is what I will go for. Presume no problems reported in the wider 'scene' with LUND tunes? DOnt want the engine going pop!

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent, thanks.

Looks like that is what I will go for. Presume no problems reported in the wider 'scene' with LUND tunes? DOnt want the engine going pop!

I don't think anyone has lost an engine NA. When the Coyote first came out there were some issues with cylinder 8 failing when tuned, but that was a few years ago and all tuners made the necessary revisions to prevent it.

The tune Lund send you will run a little rich and probably have timing targeted at 24-25 WOT for safety. Once you send them datalogs they will add in more timing within safety and perfect the fuelling.

I am now seeing around 27-28 timing WOT, which makes the car punch crazy hard, it is very addictive. :D

Also you can tell Lund to set a lower rev limit, they set 7500 soft and 7700 hard by default. So when you reach 7500rpm, the car pulls a lot of timing in 7500-7700rpm range for safety, but I rarely rev mine beyond 7000 but these engines can be spun upto around 8000rpm without harm on occaison.

If you want to bang 8000rpm on a regular basis then upgrade the OPG/gears and to take advantage of 6500RPM plus you ideally need a GT 350 IM, as that will give you a 60BHP gain after 6500rpm through to 8000rpm. :)

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
i got a nguage, with Lund tune, cant fault them, as gibbo said really quick to reply etc

i also have a bama sct for the crank relearn, bit longer to reply but all good aswel.

i put car back to standard.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
We can set you up with the PMAS and Lund Tune using the nGAUGE no problem. Once you purchase this, emailing would go direct with Lund Racing and all emails would be between you guys. We would just help set you up. the ngauge is the most user friendly device right now with all the data needing built in for datalogging.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We can set you up with the PMAS and Lund Tune using the nGAUGE no problem. Once you purchase this, emailing would go direct with Lund Racing and all emails would be between you guys. We would just help set you up. the ngauge is the most user friendly device right now with all the data needing built in for datalogging.
He would ideally need an SCT handheld, due to crank re-learn function and trust me if he rocked up at a European Ford dealer and asked for a crank relearn they really would have no clue. ;)

Unless Ngauge now supports crank relearn?

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I have not seen anyone needing a crank relearn on the newer cars. It was very rare even on the older ones. I have installed numerous clutches on cars which is when it is seen the most.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not seen anyone needing a crank relearn on the newer cars. It was very rare even on the older ones. I have installed numerous clutches on cars which is when it is seen the most.

My car has needed it several times when swapping between tunes, also two other Mustangs I helped tune, one with SCT maps and another Lund cars also needed the crank relearn.

Also Mac666 Whipple car needed it also, so out of 4 cars I have flashed a tune, all 4 required the crank relearn. Maybe its a bigger issue on EU/UK cars because we will a different strategy compared to a US car. :)

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
My car has needed it several times when swapping between tunes, also two other Mustangs I helped tune, one with SCT maps and another Lund cars also needed the crank relearn.

Also Mac666 Whipple car needed it also, so out of 4 cars I have flashed a tune, all 4 required the crank relearn. Maybe its a bigger issue on EU/UK cars because we will a different strategy compared to a US car. :)

That is a first I've heard of that. A Crank relearn is based with a clutch swap and was rare in the s197 days. The SCT device has that option and is usually used for that.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a first I've heard of that. A Crank relearn is based with a clutch swap and was rare in the s197 days. The SCT device has that option and is usually used for that.
Yep agreed, but for some reason at least on the EU cars flashing a tune *sometimes* does course the engine light to display and the only way to clear it is with a crank re-learn, a simple DTC clear does not do the trick.

I've flashed my car several times, SCT, JDM and Lund tunes and a few tune revisions and I've had 3 occasions where I had to perform a crank re-learn, namely when flashing to a different tune.

I find tune revisions tend to cause it but for instance when I returned my car to stock from JDM tune and then flashed to Lund, boom need crank re-learn. Same happened when I flashed from stock to the SCT tune.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Presume if I need a crank re-learn and dont have the equipment im up shit creek?

Will the car run?

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
ive done crank relearn a few times aswel, its needed after u put stock map back on after lund tune.
Sponsored