Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

raider5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 5.0 SSP coupe, and 15 Gt w/PP
The conversation is already being discussed in another thread.

Sync 3 APIMs are different.. Sync 3 needs antenna for nav or non nav APIMS.. if you want to upgrade to SYNC 3 you will need

A sync 3 APIM (about 1000$)
A new display as the new ones are capacitive (about 400$)
A navigation antenna
You will need a cable for the APIM to the Display as the new APIM connects to the display differently than the old one.

And you will need programming done.. I can do this

AND KEEP THIS IN MIND>> YOU CANNOT ADD NAVIGATION TO SYNC 3 APIMS THAT DO NOT HAVE NAV. SO IF YOU WANT SYNC 3 WITH NAV YOU HAVE TO GET A NAV SYNC 3 APIM.

Sync 2 you can add navigation to the APIM in the car no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6
Sponsored

Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary
I would love sync 3 and apple carplay, but claiming Ford lied to and cheated the 2015 owners is ludicrous.
Yes, that article is basically saying its up to google to find a work around using an already shitty system and google came back saying they wouldnt or couldnt unless ford changed shit on their end. The blackberry OS system was just as shitty at that point and it was stated that was the compromise, to which google said 'not good enough for us'.

What was a lie was how this hardware update was years in the future when in reality it was being planned all along behind the scenes but they they couldnt say that because they knew it would hurt current model sales.

Oh well I just wont look at them for her car and will look at stripping their sync shit out to put in an aftermarket head unit since its a lot cheaper than an upgrade.

Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
This thread is getting depressing. Kinda reminds me of those Tesla owners filing lawsuits forcing Tesla to retro fit sensors and cameras that the early Tesla didn't come with so the owners can use the latest functions.
I guess god forbids car manufacturers put new better electronics in their existing cars.
Says one unaffected by the change.

Problem for me is this was rolled out as the latest and greatest ford had to offer and was their flagship which sold a ton the first year. Now, they are saying oh we are changing out to these new units that are technologically going from a wooden wheel to vulcanized rubber.

For that to be such a substantial part of the car and will kill features if the OEM is dropped then it was at best misleading to say its their best and lying at worst case scenario.

Like the car but the main reason for upgrading was technology which was a huge gap from my 99 and with this upgrade I may as well have the '12-13 model so its not like a one year gap, this tech is 3-4 years old. Added to the fact ford was leaving it up to others to fit their system into an antiquated unit I feel they could have at least said this was coming. If I even remotely thought this would be coming I would have waited a year but they couldnt say that because it affects current sales.

SLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Says one unaffected by the change.

Problem for me is this was rolled out as the latest and greatest ford had to offer and was their flagship which sold a ton the first year. Now, they are saying oh we are changing out to these new units that are technologically going from a wooden wheel to vulcanized rubber.

For that to be such a substantial part of the car and will kill features if the OEM is dropped then it was at best misleading to say its their best and lying at worst case scenario.

Like the car but the main reason for upgrading was technology which was a huge gap from my 99 and with this upgrade I may as well have the '12-13 model so its not like a one year gap, this tech is 3-4 years old. Added to the fact ford was leaving it up to others to fit their system into an antiquated unit I feel they could have at least said this was coming. If I even remotely thought this would be coming I would have waited a year but they couldnt say that because it affects current sales.

mculver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang Mach 1, 1969 Boss 302, 2016 GT
Will the 2016 get 4G LTE?

None of the articles indicate if the 2016 models will get the 4G LTE with the software upgrade. I know that that is a hardware thing so the question is is 4G LTE already in the 2016 Sync 3 and it will get activated with the software update or is the 2017 Sync 3 units upgraded with the 4G LTE?

Would be nice to have the remote functions on my 2016 since that was one of the reasons I waited for the 2016. Anyone heard when the software update might be hitting? The only thing I hate is that the phone has to be USB connected for Carplay. Would be much more useful if bluetooth connected.

Sponsored

Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Yawn, nothing original?

Im done talking about it but they did hold back and now the option is to give another $2-3K or get an aftermarket unit that will break most of the integrated features and possibly void the warranty.

Say its crying all you want but when regular people make what is most likely the second biggest purchase in their lives being misled is not good buisness and will stick with the couple hundred thousand or so who bought early.

None of the articles indicate if the 2016 models will get the 4G LTE with the software upgrade. I know that that is a hardware thing so the question is is 4G LTE already in the 2016 Sync 3 and it will get activated with the software update or is the 2017 Sync 3 units upgraded with the 4G LTE?

Would be nice to have the remote functions on my 2016 since that was one of the reasons I waited for the 2016. Anyone heard when the software update might be hitting? The only thing I hate is that the phone has to be USB connected for Carplay. Would be much more useful if bluetooth connected.
Seems like more sarcasm but 4G LTE is not a huge upgrade since most phones are better than that now, their main units however are a huge upgrade over what is supposed to be their latest and greatest in the updated flagship.

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Yawn, nothing original?

Im done talking about it but they did hold back and now the option is to give another $2-3K or get an aftermarket unit that will break most of the integrated features and possibly void the warranty.

Say its crying all you want but when regular people make what is most likely the second biggest purchase in their lives being misled is not good buisness and will stick with the couple hundred thousand or so who bought early.

Seems like more sarcasm but 4G LTE is not a huge upgrade since most phones are better than that now, their main units however are a huge upgrade over what is supposed to be their latest and greatest in the updated flagship.
Sync 3 isn't a huge upgrade either. I'm sorry you're so mad about the change from resistive touch to capacitive touch and a small speed boost. I think sync 3 sucks. It's better then sync 2. Pretty sure you didn't buy for the sterio. It's a car that you prob bought for its engine, handling, or looks. Name one manufacture that has done everything right in any field?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500

What are you meaning when you say "remote function"

mculver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What are you meaning when you say "remote function"
The press release indicates that you can remotely unlock/lock your car as well as see gas levels etc due to the 4G LTE connection

mculver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yawn, nothing original?

The benefit to the integrated 4G LTE is that you can have connectivity to the car when you are not in the car to lock/unlock, etc.

Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
The press release indicates that you can remotely unlock/lock your car as well as see gas levels etc due to the 4G LTE connection
Oh.. you can do that now.. It is a part you have to add.. I added it to my super duty.. I had to pay like 149 for a year.. and install the app.. the part is about 400..

And it is a real Ford accessory

Just incase the function can't be enabled by a future update..

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
This is technology. Every year apple puts out a new phone. No one flips out. Sync 2 works. It's no longer buggy and if you think you were cheated by ford, what if you bought a 14 edge and the 15 came out? What if you bought the new 15 edge and the 16 has sync 3? It's progress. For $2000 you can upgrade. Yes probably voids the warranty on the hardware. No clue if you can add the 4G module to the upgrade or even the 16 models. It's progress. I would have loved the sync3 in my mustang. But I have a 50th package and that's why I bought it. As far as the edge.... My wife's 2015 sport was $2000 less because the 16 requires awd so it's a wash if we upgrade.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
This is technology. Every year apple puts out a new phone. No one flips out. Sync 2 works. It's no longer buggy and if you think you were cheated by ford, what if you bought a 14 edge and the 15 came out? What if you bought the new 15 edge and the 16 has sync 3? It's progress. For $2000 you can upgrade. Yes probably voids the warranty on the hardware. No clue if you can add the 4G module to the upgrade or even the 16 models. It's progress. I would have loved the sync3 in my mustang. But I have a 50th package and that's why I bought it. As far as the edge.... My wife's 2015 sport was $2000 less because the 16 requires awd so it's a wash if we upgrade.
I never get the term "cheated on". It's not like they had sync3 ready to go but decided not to.

Barry626

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang 2.3L
How so?

I'm assuming you have a 2015 with with Sync 2? The hardware is underpowered to support Car Play, and you bought it without Car Play, why would Ford be obligated to someone retroactively support it[?] The time I even heard anything mentioned was after the introduction of the Sync 3 system, and even then, it was only a rumor - honestly, if Car Play didn't/doesn't come to the '16 Sync 3, I'm OK with that.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bummer to miss out on a nice feature by one model year, but improvements happen, technology moves on.
:thumbsup:

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Alright. We get it. Some of you are upset that you did not get Sync 3. I waited an extra year to get mine for the sole reason that I read Sync 3 would eventually get Android Auto. If I would have purchased earlier I knew I would have missed out on that. But you guys that got yours early have the privilege of being the first on the block to show off the newest pony car. Not to mention the opportunity to drive it for a year before us 2016s and later.

Back on topic.

Has anyone confirmed if Google Maps navigation will work on Android Auto if the car was NOT equipped with Nav from the factory? I hope that Google Maps can use the phones GPS. Its probably more accurate than a car based one anyway due to tower triangulation, GPS, and GLONASS all working together.
Sponsored