STEEDA's Victory @ PBIR

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
03/11/17

STEEDA TAKES TWO WINS AND RUNNER-UP AT THE BUD MERRILL MEMORIAL DOUBLE SARRC/TES/ECR ENDURO AT PALM BEACH INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY

Driving the 2017 Steeda Autosports Q500R Ford Mustang, drivers Dario Orlando and Glen Vitale nearly swept the weekend at Palm Beach International Raceway (Palm Beach, FL), taking two wins and a second place finish in the triple-race, Bud Memorial Double SARRC ECR Challenge. The event included two 20-minute sprint races and a 1.5-hour Enduro that included refueling and a driver change.

Orlando, who drove both sprint races, qualified the yellow and black Number 20 Ford on pole in both twin South Atlantic Road Race Championships events. Admittedly rusty, he struggled at the start of the first race and spun on the second lap—but despite having not competed in over two years, he gathered the Mustang and fought his way back to grab a second-place podium finish. “It was great to get back in competition,” said Orlando. “We’ve worked diligently to produce a Mustang with greatly enhanced handling performance, but one that’s easy to drive at the limit. Our Q-series Mustangs are balanced and do well on the street or the track. In fact, one of the reasons we race is to show enthusiasts they can have the very best parts whether they drive on the street or track,” Orlando added.

IMG_1584.JPG

Orlando was better prepared for the second sprint race. He rocketed to a great start and despite a strong challenge from the Number 52 BMW M3 (see photo), he was able to maintain the lead and take the victory. “It was a challenge staying ahead of the supercharged M3,” stated Orlando, “However, the Steeda Mustang prevailed and it was really exciting to take a win. Our Q500R utilizes a tuned 5.0L Coyote engine, a stock transmission and our full Steeda G-Trac suspension, with Pro Action adjustable shocks.

It’s stuff you can buy and adapt easily to any S550 Mustang. This system really enhances performance and we offer a few levels depending on your demands.”

2.png

The team concluded the weekend running the 1.5-hour ECR Enduro, where Orlando took his third pole of the weekend. SCCA regular and Steeda team driver, Glen Vitale, took the first stint, and he made the most of Orlando’s P1 starting position. Vitale jetted to the lead, poured the coals to the Steeda Q500R and never looked back. He ran fast and clean, leading the race until half way, when he pitted for refueling and to hand the reigns to Orlando. With 30 minutes to go, Orlando got back in the mix and held off the field for a true flag-to-flag victory.

“It was an amazing race weekend for our team,” said Orlando. “The car performed well, the only glitch was a wiped stock clutch during the end of the last race. We plan to upgrade to an Exedy clutch and we’ll be back to the track. We use this car to develop new Steeda parts, so we’re always pushing and learning. And we can’t want to get back, take a look at the Mustang and then do our job making the best parts for our customers.

4.png
Sponsored

Attachments

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Reading this stuff just makes me giddy. This is what I bought my car to do. And seeing you guys have success with it is awesome and confirms I made a good choice, and I am not going to lie it will make me look at the Steeda catalog just that much harder. I already have a few parts that I really dig.

Congrats!

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Are there any Camaros entered in any of these events? I only ask since the Camaro is arguably the Mustang's greatest rival.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Good question. In videos I've seen of similar-level events, the newest Camaro I ever saw was the previous generation. On the other hand, I have been seeing regularly the latest-gen Camaros at NASA events, specifically advanced HPDE or Time Trials or other competitive segments that include, for Mustangs, seemingly mostly BOSS 302s or "comparable" S197s. There aren't many S550s in those upper echelons either, yet... if you think about it.

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Congrats! Job well done.

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Are there any Camaros entered in any of these events? I only ask since the Camaro is arguably the Mustang's greatest rival.
Four Corvettes, no Camaros. The new gen Camaros are scarce still

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Congrats, Dario, Glen and Team Steeda! Love seeing this. Keep up the great work as always.

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Congratulations , the spoiler on the car, looks good, is it truly functional compared to what that Bimmer is running.
Thank you
Dan
Getting ready for Homestead on the 20th of May.
S550 20.jpg
Sponsored