Sponsored

Security

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Hi all

I picked up my Grabber Blue Shadow Edition from the dealership on Tuesday - loving it :)

I've got a couple of questions about the locking/security - my hubby had a car-jacking incident with his BMW a couple of years ago (he managed to get away minus the driver's window and a passanger :doh:), and it's made me a bit gittery, especially with the car standing out so much and me being a female! Some of the reasons I wanted the car are the same reasons that are giving me stress...

So, I've changed the setting so that only the driver's side unlocks when opening, but I assume that the doors don't lock once you've started driving away?? Also, how do you check that the doors are locked once you've locked them by touching the handle - every time I try to check that they're locked they open again!

Another quick question about texting from the screen - my messages won't send and I'm not sure whether this is a network (EE) problem or a handset compatibility problem (I'm still in the dark ages and using a Blackberry).

Thanks for any help
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all

I picked up my Grabber Blue Shadow Edition from the dealership on Tuesday - loving it :)

I've got a couple of questions about the locking/security - my hubby had a car-jacking incident with his BMW a couple of years ago (he managed to get away minus the driver's window and a passanger :doh:), and it's made me a bit gittery, especially with the car standing out so much and me being a female! Some of the reasons I wanted the car are the same reasons that are giving me stress...

So, I've changed the setting so that only the driver's side unlocks when opening, but I assume that the doors don't lock once you've started driving away?? Also, how do you check that the doors are locked once you've locked them by touching the handle - every time I try to check that they're locked they open again!

Another quick question about texting from the screen - my messages won't send and I'm not sure whether this is a network (EE) problem or a handset compatibility problem (I'm still in the dark ages and using a Blackberry).

Thanks for any help
Every time you're checking the lock, it'll unlock because your key is nearby. To test, press lock, walk away, leave key away from you and go back and test. I still use the key fobs lock, even though I know that it'll self lock, and I've heard the car self lock multiple times.

If you want the car to not be stolen, get a ghost immobiliser, it makes it so that the car can only start when a certain combination or buttons are pressed. That being said if you were being mugged for your car like your husband, and you have a ghost imobiliser, you better be ready to think on your feet and either run like eff and call the cops as u do so (and they try and figure out how to turn it on), or give them over the immobilisation combination so you don't get harmed. End of the day you pay insurance to cover sh1t like this :/.

Also if you wish to protect from people key jacking you. There's certain tricks like leaving the key in a metal box (like the coffee/ tea/sugar ones people have) or getting a pouch that'll stop that (Also stops use of the auto open on handle and locking from handle, as you'll need to remove it from pouch to do this)

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
:welcome: Vikki

First things first - photos of that shadow edition please when you get a chance! I don't believe that we have seen pick up photos of one on here yet...

As Steve says, if you are close to the car with the key it will unlock when you put your hand behind the handle. You have to be right next to it though so if you left the key a few meters away you can go back & check. But for me, once I touch the handle and hear that locking sound, I'm satisfied. If I'm ever unsure, I get the keys out and lock it - and watch the lights flash.

Interesting point about the locking whilst you are driving, most cars have a button that you can press to lock the doors for that purpose (so they cant be opened from the outside). Not sure without going out to check. Someone else may know.

The metal box trick refers to the apparent ability for would be thieves to use a range extender to open your car without the key being near by. Never heard of this happening to a Mustang in the UK though, but may give you extra piece of mind.

Can't help you on the txt message problem as I have never tried but I wouldn't be surprised if it's to do with the fact that it's a Blackberry!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW with locking whilst driving, you can do this with Forscan, I'm going to write up a guide on this side with less techy shiz and more just to the point blutness on how to do it, including disabling double honk, hyperflash, and much more.

Oh and with texting, mine works but only for the basic texts that the car lets you do. I don't have sync 3, so I can't use carplay to do "speech to text" through the car, but if you're trying that on sync 3, I assume it's down to the blackberry not having that capability.

If the message isn't sending it maybe to do with the permissions setup by the blackberry when connected via Bluetooth, they weren't the handset of choice for business for no reason (unlike crApple lol), they're very secure, and I seem to remember the ability to "Hack" them through Bluetooth was very hard, as was their encryption on the device, so it could well be that.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Lol, the second post today that has made me laugh! Sorry but its picturing you locking the car and then checking it to find its unlocked....we have all been there...well a lot of us have.

Anyway PICS!!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Yeah it's a pain that you can't just check that the car's locked without having to throw the fob down the road first!

I know I can just press the central lock button in the car once I'm in to lock it but wondered if it locked itself once over 5mph like others, but as I haven't heard it lock I assume it doesn't.

I had thought about an immobiliser, will look into it. With regards the fact that your insurance covers car jacking, I think it's not until you're in that position that you'd know how you'd react - I wasn't there at the time but I know hundreds of scenarios were replayed in the following days!! At least if it was stolen they'd probably only get to the nearest petrol station....

Anyway I'm going to enjoy it to the full and not worry too much.

Haven't got any official handover piccies but just took a couple before I drove off in it, private plate yet to be applied. I wanted the full stripes but as the Shadow Edition comes with the bonnet and side stripes (which you can hardly see in these crappy piccies) I'll probably just leave it as it is, although i fancy some privacy tints on the back screen and windows.
car 1.jpg
car 2.jpg

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
OP
OP

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Yes saw the thread thanks, will definitely try to get there as not too far at all and will be good to meet other owners.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yes saw the thread thanks, will definitely try to get there as not too far at all and will be good to meet other owners.
Me and Kristian will be there, be nice to see a shadow edition in the flesh, especially in grabber blue :D!

(Actually, I lie, a load of owners will be there).

If you're bored and want to really see the car cruising with others, which honestly never gets boring or old, come join the midlands/north cruise from Bassetts pole (Maybe a bit of a way out going north to come south, but always worth it for a drive).

:headbang:

A Real Hero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang 2.3L EB Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it's a pain that you can't just check that the car's locked without having to throw the fob down the road first!

I know I can just press the central lock button in the car once I'm in to lock it but wondered if it locked itself once over 5mph like others, but as I haven't heard it lock I assume it doesn't.

I had thought about an immobiliser, will look into it. With regards the fact that your insurance covers car jacking, I think it's not until you're in that position that you'd know how you'd react - I wasn't there at the time but I know hundreds of scenarios were replayed in the following days!! At least if it was stolen they'd probably only get to the nearest petrol station....

Anyway I'm going to enjoy it to the full and not worry too much.

Haven't got any official handover piccies but just took a couple before I drove off in it, private plate yet to be applied. I wanted the full stripes but as the Shadow Edition comes with the bonnet and side stripes (which you can hardly see in these crappy piccies) I'll probably just leave it as it is, although i fancy some privacy tints on the back screen and windows.
Beautiful Car !!!

On top of what other have said.

I've not got my Mustang yet but applied these on a previous car.

I believe you can turn off Keyless Entry in the MyKey menu which allows you to use the fob to lock/unlock the car allowing you to check the handle.
(Would need somebody to fully confirm)

you can get OBD Port Re-routed or an RFID tag on it. Even pull the fuse for it (if such fuse exists in the Mustang)

Theft of Keys is still statistically the most common method of theft however.

There are some really good Thatcham Approved 3 tier Trackers (GSM/VHF/GPS) on the market too.

Sponsored

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Having a quick look at the owners manual, I can't see anywhere that says you can set the doors to lock when you start driving over a certain speed. For now just press the lock button inside the car before you set off.

For testing if the door is locked, press the lock sensor on the door once and you will hear the lock mechanism and see the indicators flash once, press it again and you will hear this sound twice in a row and see the indicators flash twice. Then just look at where the door poppers would normally be located in another car and you will see a little red light to show you its locked.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Having a quick look at the owners manual, I can't see anywhere that says you can set the doors to lock when you start driving over a certain speed. For now just press the lock button inside the car before you set off.

For testing if the door is locked, press the lock sensor on the door once and you will hear the lock mechanism and see the indicators flash once, press it again and you will hear this sound twice in a row and see the indicators flash twice. Then just look at where the door poppers would normally be located in another car and you will see a little red light to show you its locked.
you can in Forscan ;)!

Silver Surfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Convertible Auto Custom
My key-less entry stopped working recently. Both keys still worked by pressing the buttons and I figured out the emergency slot, so no great drama.
Took it back to Lookers Sheffield and asked for some explanation, mainly could someone else have been trying to get in. In a nutshell they told me;
1. Not possible for owners to reconfigure the key-less system, so we are stuck with factory settings.
2. No data trail of when/how system was operated, it resets every time.

Does this make sense to any techies out there?

Watching one of these consumer TV programmes today, their advice is to keep your keys in the fridge.