Sponsored

Suspension bounciness

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
So I had a non-performance pack premium GT that I replaced with the ford street suspension handling kit

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-performance-street-handing-pack-fb-1516.html

(2) Performance Pack Struts (pre-assembled)
(2) Performance Pack Rear Shocks
(4) Street Lowering Springs
(2) Performance Pack Upper Strut Mounts
(2) Front Jounce Bumpers
(2) Rear Jounce Bumpers
(1) Performance Pack Front Sway Bar
(1) Performance Pack Rear Sway Bar
(2) Performance Pack Rear Toe Links

My car has only 3000 miles, and about 1500 miles on the setup. Car is aligned.

The handling is great but over rough/uneven surfaces, the car's rear end seems bouncy. The bounciness is real on this car. My other past cars had far more miles and are only on springs and are less bouncy than this car. What can I do/look at to rectify this? Don't want to swap a lot of parts cause the above cost me over $1000 installed. I can only imagine after 40 or 50k miles how rough this will ride.
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
steeda rear shock mounts. little expensive for what they look like but i had the same issue and so have many others and the steeda rear mounts put a spherical bearing in the shock mount and allows the shock move with the suspension allowing better ride control. there are a couple threads on here that have a bunch of people testifying for this product its pretty killer

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I agree with the above Steeda billet rear shock mounts do wonders for the rear suspension oscillation on seemingly smooth roads.

I would also check your rear bump stops. If you are riding on the stops it will never be smooth.

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
I'm curious, were the performance pack toe links any different than the ones you replaced?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I agree with the above Steeda billet rear shock mounts do wonders for the rear suspension oscillation on seemingly smooth roads.

I would also check your rear bump stops. If you are riding on the stops it will never be smooth.
This exactly!

The rear bump stops seem to be the worst. I replaced mine with the Steeda adjustable bump stops using the shorter one which is shorter than the FP bump stops. Then I even trimmed the Steeda bump stop even shorter. When allowed without hitting the bump stop, the spring absorbs the compression (jounce). The problem is, when you hit that bump stop, it bounces up off it introducing oscillations. I didn't want to just trim the stock bump stop that short because I was worried about the protection as it got very hard at the top. The Steeda bump stops are urethane I think and can absorb and protect for those hard bumps.

The shocks should be dampening both the compression and rebound. The problem is it's not a straight up and down movement of the shock and the stock shock mount doesn't allow the shock to articulate, binding it and restricting it's ability to freely move and do its job. Steeda's shock mount has a spherical bearing allowing the shock to articulate and better absorb/dampen those movements.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I have the FRPP track setup. Same drop as the street suspension. Mike D. At Steeda suggested I cut rear bumpstops to exactly 1.5" and also swap out rear shock mounts for billet Steeda versions. Definitely made a big difference and the bounce is nearly eliminated.

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Premium, Lightning Blue
I've been fighting through all of the same issues for the past many months and have finally achieved the ride quality I've been looking for. 100% agree with the above input: trimmed/replaced bump stops and the billet rear shock mounts are a must.
The only thing I'd add is that my front PP sway bar was also contributing to the bouncy effect that I initially thought was purely coming from the rear. This is because the front bar is bonded to the mounts which essentially turns it into a large spring (think diving board) whenever it isn't in its free state. Note that once you're lowered, you won't be at the free state when at static ride height. I went with Steeda's front sway bar/end links and it took away a lot of the seesaw effect that had been driving me nuts.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Cut the rear bump stops and index the rubber bushings on the front and rear suspension.

The FRPP bump stops are OEM fronts, and slightly trimmed OEM rears.

This is the first thing I do to my cars, even before lowering them or modding them at all and it is the single best mod for the "bounce" people speak of. The rest of the mods out there work better on paper than in real life.

Good luck!

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Cut the rear bump stops and index the rubber bushings on the front and rear suspension.

The FRPP bump stops are OEM fronts, and slightly trimmed OEM rears.

This is the first thing I do to my cars, even before lowering them or modding them at all and it is the single best mod for the "bounce" people speak of. The rest of the mods out there work better on paper than in real life.

Good luck!
What do you mean by "index the rubber bushings on the front and rear suspension?"

Thanks

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase