Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not sure what a typical German is, and not one to stereotype. Only aware of my own experience. Appreciate your opinion. Mine stands.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
You can mod your car with parts that have a TÜV certificate or ABE certificate.
No passenger window tints in germany.

And the insurance is still paying if you where faster than 130km/h but only in area where there is no speed limit.
Don't go with the Corsa Extreme, buy an Exhaust system in Germany with ABE or TÜV certificate and you should be fine.
Definitly don't go catless, if the police catches you, you have a big problem.

There is absolutly no problem with modding your car if you buy the right parts and believe me in the end that is better for everyone on the Autobahn. You don't want people driving with 250km/h on cheap eBay parts.

Beware of speed traps in germany, there are a lot of stationary speed traps on free ways (bundesstraße), get the blitzer.de APP for your phone to see all stationary speed traps.

And believe me, don't drive like an American on the Autobahn, stay in the right lane if you don't want to pass somebody, only use the left lanes if you wanna go faster than others. Use your blinker!!! Don't forget to turn your blinker off!!! Don't drive over solid lines on the road!!!
Speed limit in cities is 50km/h some times higher but then you will see a sign that shows the limit, if you don't see a speed limit sign, drive 50km/h, you can go 5km/h over the limit, normally they don't stop you and if you get in a speed trap with 5 km/h you'll get a 15€ ticket.

Enjoy nice paved highways without pieces of truck tires on it. Have fun.

If you have more questions, just send me a PM

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You can mod your car with parts that have a TÜV certificate or ABE certificate.
No passenger window tints in germany.

And the insurance is still paying if you where faster than 130km/h but only in area where there is no speed limit.
Don't go with the Corsa Extreme, buy an Exhaust system in Germany with ABE or TÜV certificate and you should be fine.
Definitly don't go catless, if the police catches you, you have a big problem.

There is absolutly no problem with modding your car if you buy the right parts and believe me in the end that is better for everyone on the Autobahn. You don't want people driving with 250km/h on cheap eBay parts.

Beware of speed traps in germany, there are a lot of stationary speed traps on free ways (bundesstraße), get the blitzer.de APP for your phone to see all stationary speed traps.

And believe me, don't drive like an American on the Autobahn, stay in the right lane if you don't want to pass somebody, only use the left lanes if you wanna go faster than others. Use your blinker!!! Don't forget to turn your blinker off!!! Don't drive over solid lines on the road!!!
Speed limit in cities is 50km/h some times higher but then you will see a sign that shows the limit, if you don't see a speed limit sign, drive 50km/h, you can go 5km/h over the limit, normally they don't stop you and if you get in a speed trap with 5 km/h you'll get a 15€ ticket.

Enjoy nice paved highways without pieces of truck tires on it. Have fun.

If you have more questions, just send me a PM
Great advice. The key also is that coming from Italy, you probably already have a USAEUR driver's license. If not, you'll have to test to get one. So driving rules will be no issue. In my opinion, there is no better place in the world to drive--road or track.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I keep hearing the rumor that insurance doesnt cover accedents if you were driving over 130 kph.
Insurance will pay no matter what speed, based on liability. Below 130kph in an unlimited speed zone area, the police have to determine who was at fault--could be you could be the other driver. However, if you are driving above 130 kph, the burden of proof shifts. You are considered liable and have to prove otherwise. Sometimes it's obvious; sometimes not.

Your point is still valid. Great place to drive. "Confidence doctrine", the belief that drivers know what they are supposed to do and will do it, is what makes it so.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Insurance will pay no matter what speed, based on liability. Below 130kph in an unlimited speed zone area, the police have to determine who was at fault--could be you could be the other driver. However, if you are driving above 130 kph, the burden of proof shifts. You are considered liable and have to prove otherwise. Sometimes it's obvious; sometimes not.
Sorry but this is BS...

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Then how does it work?

Cause what callabus wrote is what ive been told
I've been born "here" and had few "adventures" either form my fault and not my fault. I've delt with insurances companies couple of times.

First and foremost if you have accident the Police has the right to investigate - they can look for the cause - should they care but they have to if there are wounded.
Insurance companies are not the Law and they have to respect what Police says.

Misdemeanors:
If cops says you were speeding 20 over they are usually correct - insurance companies have the right to view all Police reports.
They can increase your deductible due the speeding, red light, line or other heavy traffic violations but this has to be proved to be relevant, loud and clear.

Felony:
You will not get a penny for intoxicated driving or for massive speeding or crime related violations - like twice over, grand theft or drugs.
In this case the insurance has to wait for your sentence which can take months or years. It doesn't matter you have obligatory insurance(Haftpflicht)
or Full Coverage(Vollkasko) - you can end with millions to pay out of your own pocket.

Not sure where did you get that 130 kph from...

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
We are saying the same thing. You simply like to argue. Cool American car, by the way.

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
So much bullshit here...

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/auto/recht-im-verkehr-trotz-kmh-versicherung-muss-zahlen-1.622556

Use Google translate...

If your car is build to drive fast and the accident is not your fault, the insurance will pay, but if you have parts on your car that aren't TUV certified you'll have a problem, no matter what speed.
I can translate it for you - I speak German...

Like I said, they can increase you deductible for speeding but they have to pay.

As for ILLEGAL parts - in principle EVERY NON ORIGINAL part in your car, either simple bolt form caliper or a supercharger kit - it doesn't matter what - has to bo approved in Germany - yes I know, this is idiotic. You are not allowed to do any changes to your vehicle without permission - this is how it works in Germany...basically they treat you like an idiot.

Now if you crash while overtaking with high speed and they will find that you have been driving with improper tires(different size) you can be sure they will pay nothing because you are not allowed to drive with improper tire size which can compromise traction. But they just can't say you crashed because of non TUV approved lug nuts, tinted windows or aftermarket tail light because it's not relevant.
Sponsored