radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Want a spare as much as the next pony.
Is there anyone with more legal training than me can explain the following.

Is it legal?

Does it comply with ADRs and have approval for Australian use?
Subsequently, in the event of an "incident" with this wheel fitted, will our insurance companies accept a claim?
Will it void any FORD warranty?
Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Want a spare as much as the next pony.
Is there anyone with more legal training than me can explain the following.

Is it legal?

Does it comply with ADRs and have approval for Australian use?
Subsequently, in the event of an "incident" with this wheel fitted, will our insurance companies accept a claim?
Will it void any FORD warranty?
I would suggest that you obtain your own independent legal advice from a qualified professional and the following is not legal advice.

Is it lawful? Yes - in an emergency situation

Does it comply with ADR? - ADR approval would not have been given as it was not part of the design of the car.

Will the insurance company accept the claim? Subject to your own product disclosure statement (PDS), my insurance company will cover for this, although I would be concerned if the accident occurred doing above 80km/h which is generally the accepted speed maximum for spare tyres.

Will it void your Ford warranty? If it was proven that it caused a fault there could be grounds to not honour warranty on that part of the vehicle. Warranties are not voided because of modifications

BrizSuz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 Mustang GT
Got my "Gnome" spare installed over the weekend. Big thanks for John for doing the hard yards on this.

Let's hope I never have to use it...!

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hail the Gnome :hail:

Looking for a bit of advice though, did anyone need to persuade the hub ring to go into the wheel? Mine wants to but won't drop in, it's definitely more than just a slight friction fit.

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
I have one for sale - please check the classifieds

Sponsored

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
Have just ordered a MY17 GT convertible to be delivered hopefully by end of month.

Have read whole of this thread and Gnome's and am very impressed with the amount of research by Gnome that is of benefit to all of us. However I have one thing that puzzles me. That is the Gnome solution uses a Bridgestone 175/60-19 tyre that has theoretical diameter of 693mm vs 703mm for the stock rear tyre. The difference is approximately 1.4% He also points out that the actual diameter may be different to the theoretical.

Automotive Authority uses a Continental 155/70-19 tyre and it fits in the boot no problem. The make of the tyre can be clearly seen around 3.14m

Bridgestone also make a 155/70-19 that has a theoretical diameter of 700m that is only 0.4% difference to the stock rear tyre’s 703mm. It has only an extra 2 revs/km where as the 175 tyre has 7 revs/km more.

If this tyre fitted it would seem to me that it would put less strain on the LSD. Has anyone tried to fit a 155/70-19 tyre in the well in the boot?
155_70.jpg
175_60.jpg

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
I've got one brand new in Sydney for sale if anyone is interested. See marketplace.

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
GT Black Fastback (Drake)
I've got one brand new in Sydney for sale if anyone is interested. See marketplace.
Hi Chris, mate you should join this classified page for Mustangs. I declare that I am an admin but there is nothing in it for me or any other admin. It’s simply a network of over 400 people that buy swap and sell Mustang parts.

Link is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1118312751613931/

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
Am still struggling with this tyre solution. The speed rating of Q I don't see as a problem as it is limited to 80kph.

My concern is with the load rating of the tyre. The front load index on my new vert is 96 and the rear is 101 and the rating on this tyre is 86. If one were to have an accident with the space saver on what the insurance co would say. My experiences with insurance coys is that they will look for any opportunity to reneg on a claim.

Sponsored

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
You know you don't need a spare tire that clears brembos. You can move the rears to the front and put the spare on the back. Should be enough to get you to the shop/home

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The joys of RWD - People arent sure if you put the thin space saver on the rear where you're powering it or on the front that's steering.

I've always been a FWD person so mine would always go on the rear, and tbh i'd be inclined to absolutely nanny it and do the same with RWD. But i also go straight to a tyre shop. I've seen other people drive around on space savers literally for weeks...there was both a mazda 3 and an impreza recently i've seen do it...That's just silly.

EDIT: I forgot the LSD in rear - Would the space saver cause an issue with that as i'm guessing size differences may be large enough to be a problem?

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
EDIT: I forgot the LSD in rear - Would the space saver cause an issue with that as i'm guessing size differences may be large enough to be a problem?
See my post above #141

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Mustang GT
Hi all my first post here.
Question, anyone bought a spare wheel and tyre from Tempe Tyres over the last few weeks or month.? Just rang them about a spare and quoted me $600. All the forums say $550 or has the price gone up, thanks.

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
GT Black Fastback (Drake)
Hi all my first post here.
Question, anyone bought a spare wheel and tyre from Tempe Tyres over the last few weeks or month.? Just rang them about a spare and quoted me $600. All the forums say $550 or has the price gone up, thanks.
I paid $600 plus $40 postage 14 moths ago so that price is correct. Also, it is a superior quality wheel to the other lightweight ones being flogged at the moment. It sticks up about 10mm but when I put the boot mat down that I bought from fitmycar.com.au it’s not even noticeable. :headbang:
Sponsored