US 'Detailing' vs UK 'washing the car'

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Hi all,

I'm wondering if its just me on this side of the pond that has been surprised by the amount of products many of our US 'brothers in stangs' (I'm copywriting that lol) use and time they spend cleaning their cars. I generally wash my car with shampoo / water and on the odd occasion give it a bit of a polish but generally it's a 30 minute job.

Our buddies stateside seem to do things I've never even heard of and the list seems endless (claying, jet seal, wax. polish, glaze, spray etc etc) and some will spend a weekend on it. I would probably do this if I was entering my car into a show but not for daily driving as no matter what you seem to do, after a couple of days it looks like another wash is in order. Maybe the nicer weather stateside means they get more longevity out of their efforts.

Just an observation but I'm wondering if the rest of you guys in the UK are more like me (splash and dash) or if some of you out there spend days washing your cars?
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I live in the north east of Scotland on the coast and we have a healthy sky rat community that can smell a freshly washed car from several miles away.

So for normal usage i just chuck a bucket of water over the car once in a while and usually dry it off to minimise streaking.

Might give it a good going over prior to something special but that would be it.

That's one beautiful car you got there though TT :thumbsup:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hmm interesting point, I sit somewhere in the middle I guess...my car is black so always a bugger to clean, I start with the normal soap etc, dry properly & finish with a wax all over to get rid of the streak marks, protect the paintwork & give it a good ol shine :) polish once or twice a year is always worth it, especially for colours that can fade.
"Claying" is new on me too but probably something I will invest in if it helps protect the paintwork...
Intend to wash the stang at least once every couple of months.
Sure you can pay £10 for a decent 30 min car wash these days but no one is touching my mustang but me, even if I do take 3 hours doing it!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Claying doesn't protect the paint, rather it removes contaminants from the paint, making it smooth as glass. You then wax n seal to protect the paint :)

But black cars are a full time job. I always said I'd never have another black car, but I've just changed my silver (sooooooooo easy to keep clean) BMW 330i for a black BMW 535d. At least my Mustang stays clean as its just a toy, the BMW looks dirty within an hour or so of washing, as it lives outside.

Sponsored

66coupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I think it's a situation where the people who are most enthusiastic about a topic tend to be most vocal and visible. Plus, this is a site filled with people who are passionate about cars, so it's not really representative of the population as a whole.

I'm in the US and I love cars and I love driving (particularly rear wheel drive cars), but I don't have the same passion for cleaning my car. The people who love to detail will start threads about it and post back and forth about what they do. People like me usually won't post in those threads because ... well, we don't care. So you only tend to hear from one camp.

I usually "wash" my car two or three times in the summer (usually it's more of an excuse to go out on a hot day and squirt my kids with the hose, so the benefits to the car are limited), and then run it through the car wash every month or so in the winter to get the salt off of it.

And I agree, TT your car is stunning. I appreciate a beautifully detailed car, but I can't make it enough of a priority in my life to devote the time to it. To each his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoZ

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Hi all,

I'm wondering if its just me on this side of the pond that has been surprised by the amount of products many of our US 'brothers in stangs' (I'm copywriting that lol) use and time they spend cleaning their cars. I generally wash my car with shampoo / water and on the odd occasion give it a bit of a polish but generally it's a 30 minute job.

Our buddies stateside seem to do things I've never even heard of and the list seems endless (claying, jet seal, wax. polish, glaze, spray etc etc) and some will spend a weekend on it. I would probably do this if I was entering my car into a show but not for daily driving as no matter what you seem to do, after a couple of days it looks like another wash is in order. Maybe the nicer weather stateside means they get more longevity out of their efforts.

Just an observation but I'm wondering if the rest of you guys in the UK are more like me (splash and dash) or if some of you out there spend days washing your cars?
You've not spent time on a UK Porsche forum then :D

My cars go to the Russians at Homebase. Nice and shiny for £6 and will do the interior for another £6.

Might be a few years before I let them at the Mustang tho'. Mind you there are always lots of expensive and almost new cars in the queue.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I think it's a situation where the people who are most enthusiastic about a topic tend to be most vocal and visible. Plus, this is a site filled with people who are passionate about cars, so it's not really representative of the population as a whole.

I'm in the US and I love cars and I love driving (particularly rear wheel drive cars), but I don't have the same passion for cleaning my car. The people who love to detail will start threads about it and post back and forth about what they do. People like me usually won't post in those threads because ... well, we don't care. So you only tend to hear from one camp.

I usually "wash" my car two or three times in the summer (usually it's more of an excuse to go out on a hot day and squirt my kids with the hose, so the benefits to the car are limited), and then run it through the car wash every month or so in the winter to get the salt off of it.

And I agree, TT your car is stunning. I appreciate a beautifully detailed car, but I can't make it enough of a priority in my life to devote the time to it. To each his own.

:amen:

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
I do a major detail once a year that takes about 6 hours that includes claying, a full buff, seal & polish then about once a week I wash, dry with leaf blower then use detail spray which takes about 1 hour. Every 3-4 months I will take the wheels off to detail the wheel wells.

When I sold my 13 year old Suburban the paint still looked as good or better than new. While in hi school (70s) my Dad & I did a frame off build of my 1957 Chevy Belair and the under body was painted to show finish so once a month I would do a full detail underneath the car. The was my daily driver and it was amazing how many people would notice how detailed the underneath was. Guess I'm a bit OCD.

black cars are a full time job.
But they look so good when clean. Here's my 2014 SS Sedan after 1 year & 14K miles.

OP
OP
MoZ

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
I live in the north east of Scotland on the coast and we have a healthy sky rat community that can smell a freshly washed car from several miles away.

So for normal usage i just chuck a bucket of water over the car once in a while and usually dry it off to minimise streaking.

Might give it a good going over prior to something special but that would be it.

That's one beautiful car you got there though TT :thumbsup:
Oh how I know your pain SteveS. Those sky rats definitely have a thing for fresh paintwork.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MoZ

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
You've not spent time on a UK Porsche forum then :D

My cars go to the Russians at Homebase. Nice and shiny for £6 and will do the interior for another £6.

Might be a few years before I let them at the Mustang tho'. Mind you there are always lots of expensive and almost new cars in the queue.
I sure haven't :lol:

There some Russians at a petrol station beside me that are similar - £15 inside and out and always do a pretty good job. I'll take a lot of pride in doing the mustang myself but I'll see how long it lasts - it's hard to get motivated in the winter months and oh so easy to let someone else do it.
I'll definitely look into clay etc just out of interest.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
I like to give my car a 'medium' detail now and then, clay, polish, wax, seal, all by hand. I plan to learn how to use a porter or similar and experiment with a few compounds, on my wife's car, obviously!!

The leaf blower is a revelation to me for drying :cheers:. Saves touching the car with a drying towel/microfibre.

The trouble is, it can get seriously expensive :crazy:

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Planning on getting mine detailed and coated ("cquartz" whatever that is) as soon as I get it. Looking on this forum and others, if you're going to go to this level, people recommend you instruct the dealer not to wash it beforehand (with a gritty sponge!). Anyone else going to fo something like this?

I fear the Mustang will usher in an another level of obession.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Too far gone now, no ushering required:D
Best we don't watch the shipping video that shows the Mustangs going through a mechanical car wash between getting off the train from Flat Rock and getting on the ship! :eyebulge:
Sponsored