Sponsored

Used market dead?

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
I’ve got a Harley new softail street bob and I’ve signed for a MY18 GT . I’ll be offloading my 64 plate Boxster
I had a bad experience with two wheels as a teenager. Been on four ever since. But I'm sure the Caterham R400 I previously owned would be pretty close to a quick bike on the bendy bits.:D
Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Mine can depreciate all it likes, it changes nothing for me. Waited 40 years for a Mustang. A bonus that it came out in RHD. Always wanted a Mustang, always wanted a V8, always wanted a convertible and never had my own (as opposed to company cars) new car.

There might seem to be a glut now but production is now finished for the first RHD Mustangs. People are still waking up to them. Some are moving on after ‘ticking the box’ but plenty will stick with it and demand will normalise.

The unknown is whether Ford will balls up the pricing of the MY18.
The very salient point you make there is with regards to them being 'the first' RHD Mustangs, which makes them very unique... but that's ended with the 2017 now out of production, as the 2018 is a revamp/refresh and cannot therefore hold onto that claim.

With regards to there being a glut now - that's only if you can truly call a remaining stock of approx. 300 available unregistered or pre-registered/ex-demo cars, and whatever is available for sale on the used/private market a 'glut' on a nationwide scale (more so with DVLA figures quoting 3.3 million new vehicles registered in 2016 alone and 37.3 million registered vehicles on the road).

I too have always wanted a Mustang, and quite frankly it's without a doubt the most fun car I've ever owned, not only for the smile it puts on my face every time I drive it, the smile it's put on other peoples faces, the conversations it's started and the comments it's garnered, but for the fact it's not perfect 'out of the box' and has required me to do a few things that it needed to make it better, and a whole load more that it didn't, but which have made it even more unique and specifically 'mine'.

I too couldn't give a shit about depreciation, just as I couldn't give a shit about how much fuel it drinks as I didn't buy it as an investment or for economy, and however many people I see selling up, it doesn't change anything for me either... I love the car and wouldn't sell it for anything less than an utterly obscene price (if offered) as I don't think I'd ever find another available UK spec. car that I'd feel the same about.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I agree.I was one of the first deliveries so that was special to me and i would be giving up that for a refreshed 18.
If you look at it in that way it kind of puts you off!

OP
OP

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
What's your car on for? It's all about the price!

Also, remember there are still 300+ brand new cars available via Ford. There's no waiting list any more
Mine's up for £34,950, but only 1700miles which seems about right given what else is out there from private sellers.

But like anything, it's only worth what someone's willing to pay...

Suonds like I may need to soften this if I'm really looking to sell.

OP
OP

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
Had mine up for sale before the Summer.

Started at 33 and dropped to 31. No interest apart from one private buyer desperate for my CO GT but was waiting on sale of property. It fell thru.

Eventually a trader offered 29 and I set about giving it a wash as per traders instructions.

That wash made me realise that despite needing the money I couldn't sell it so cancelled.
LOL! I did exactly that with my S197. Buyer was coming the following day, gave it a final clean and decided I couldn't sell it :)

Sponsored

mkforks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang v8 r/h/d to come
I too have a first edition 2015 gt
always wanted a mustang and finally got a rhd one
never bought it to upgrade to a newer model and am please I got the first edition rhd model .. to me this will always be the original rhd model
I don't do many miles in it and have kept it pretty standard
it could be that the people moving them on and taking a hit would be better off keeping them for a few years as I reckon ford usa will get fed up making rhd models as the demand will keep tailing off and they discontinue the rhd version as it makes no money for them.
that will then make the remaining ones more desirable
can always remember having a 3 year old sierra cosworth rs 3 door for a couple of years and got ichy feet and traded it for a bmw 323
lost a few quid on it but , by Christ are they worth plenty now. wish i'd kept it.
maybe the same with the 1st gen rhd mustang in a few years

blueboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barrie
Vehicle(s)
Dib GT and vw transporter
Cancelled the test drive, had to take my daughter to a football tournament with her school.
And after going out in The Stang again, there is no sound like that V8.
Probably wont bother now.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Not keen on the styling of the Alfa

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Cancelled the test drive, had to take my daughter to a football tournament with her school.
And after going out in The Stang again, there is no sound like that V8.
Probably wont bother now.
Stout chap.

Sponsored

silverfox999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Fastback
So any further thoughts post 2018 on used market, fancy a cheap GT and add supercharger

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You will be lucky to find one under 28k plus supercharger will cost you 9 grand fitted!

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and i sold mine last week for 28k,depends how desperate people are for selling,good luck!