Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
So this seems to be the hot topic of the month I don’t have this issue but I would rather fix the issue than have a major one later maybe.

So with that in mind what needs to be replaced and where can I purchase this both oil cooler and or parts as above.
Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Am I right to suspect it only effects modded cars, those that are tracked or driven hard?

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
Am I right to suspect it only effects modded cars, those that are tracked or driven hard?
No not at all. The issue with tracking your Mustang is apparently an oil surge issue. This oil cooler issue can effect bog standard driving miss Daisy examples :doh:

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
So this seems to be the hot topic of the month I don’t have this issue but I would rather fix the issue than have a major one later maybe.

So with that in mind what needs to be replaced and where can I purchase this both oil cooler and or parts as above.
Agreed, what do we need to fixed or replaced. It seems ford are going to do Fuck All about it !!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
That kit is the same one sold by Mustang Motorsport as discussed in this thread

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67026&page=12

It's 'a' solution that's notably absent a remote filter boss and uses a bespoke rad hose, but does have a thermostat.

I'm leaning towards the kit Eastside is working on that includes a remote filter boss and fabricated ducting although the later is overkill for a street car. As indicated previously I'll follow up with them soon as they're looking into options.

If you want a kit for peace of mind and don't care about the remote filter, the Mishi kit is probably fine. Rad hoses can be made up in a pinch, would be interesting to know if it's a mass produced item so you can get spares.

Cheers

Last edited:

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Any updates on this.
Streetfighter have a kit now in development. Already used on our SF85OR packaged vehicles.

Will post details shortly.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
That kit is the same one sold by Mustang Motorsport as discussed in this thread

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67026&page=12

It's 'a' solution that's notably absent a remote filter boss and uses a bespoke rad hose, but does have a thermostat.

I'm leaning towards the kit Eastside is working on that includes a remote filter boss and fabricated ducting although the later is overkill for a street car. As indicated previously I'll follow up with them soon as they're looking into options.

If you want a kit for peace of mind and don't care about the remote filter, the Mishi kit is probably fine. Rad hoses can be made up in a pinch, would be interesting to know if it's a mass produced item so you can get spares.

Cheers
No it isn't. JW relocated it and sorted out some piping to reroute, I'm not them so can't quite tell you but [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION] can give you more on it. The kit itself was used, but the workd to relocate it is the main "fix"

From a UK side - It's not a modded issue, we've seen modded and non modded have a fit. We've seen some coolers just p1ss themselves, and others blow a gasket etc.

There's rumours of it being a defect upto a certain date, however we've seen (on FB) a guy blow his outside of the build date.

Ford have a TSB for fixing this, and know about it, however they're only (IN THE UK) flushing coolant and then reputing back in fluid until it looks clean, where they should really be gutting the engine, new engine, new coolant, new pipes, new expansion tank. They don't even clean the xpan tank in most cases so it looks like some crusty turd is inside your xpan tank.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Well aren't you are the bringer of good news Manders. Sorry to hear about the crusty turd/s :doh:

Seriously though thanks for chiming in as the UK crowd are logically going to have the same issues and it's great to know what the enterprising Brits have found. Is there a consensus on a particular solution that you're aware of?

Have contacted Jason [MENTION=22085]JWR[/MENTION] and invited him to post here.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Ok folks, update time. Eastside Mustang Enhancements has received a number of calls about a cooler kit and are only a few weeks away from having one ready, well done everyone this thread appears to be working for us (please don't inundate them as this will slow things down).

While it's still a few weeks, taking time to get things right is a positive. I'm told the price will be very competitive and the main cost in any case will be a good quality Setrab cooler - I can assure you they aren't cheap, but are good.

I'll be back in touch with EME in about 4 weeks and will update then. Thanks to [MENTION=17504]tienlo[/MENTION] for sharing his journey with oil coolers initially otherwise we'd never have heard of EME.

For the record I have no affiliation with EME ie nada, butski, zip, none.

:cheers:

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks David, sounds good. Can you say yet whether your kits will have thermostats or remote filters?