Sponsored

EcoBoost dyno tested in Italy: very bad results! Fraud???

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
As many above have pointed out there could be many reasons.

For example when we did some independent testing in the UK with our Focus ST, 1st dyno run hit the Ford numbers (250) then heat soak and OEM intercooler limitations killed power totally and it plummeted down by around 20 hp. If the test car above had already "heatsoaked" it could easily help explain low numbers.
Sponsored

Rev_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
From some internal Ford documents leaked, that should be max power with 95 RON gas.

Max power on Ecoboost engines is stated with premium gas (93 MON / 98 RON).
It's a shame they forgot to mention it to clients.

Rev_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
As many above have pointed out there could be many reasons.

For example when we did some independent testing in the UK with our Focus ST, 1st dyno run hit the Ford numbers (250) then heat soak and OEM intercooler limitations killed power totally and it plummeted down by around 20 hp. If the test car above had already "heatsoaked" it could easily help explain low numbers.
Yes. My Ecoboost with Steeda tune, Mishimoto IC and Magnaflow Street CatBack measured 360 Hp on dyno. :headbang:

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Yeah, it is normal tolerance, the problem is that we pay huge luxury tax based on hp.. 20 EUR for every hp exceeding 285 so +-30 hp is a huge money difference.
Same thing in my country but based on cubic centimetres. If you go above 3000 it triples per cc to the point that I pay 1500 euros a year in tax alone for my GT. They introduced this in 2010 saying it is to help with financial crisis deficits but they forgot it was just temporary.

So for a 600 hp car how much would you pay in italy?

Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
So for a 600 hp car how much would you pay in italy?
well for an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, that has 510 hp, you have to pay 5100 eur per year (1300 regular road tax + 3800 luxury "high power car" tax).
You can understand how stupid this is in a country that has many excellences in sport cars production like Ferrari, Maserati or Lamborghini. The high power cars market had dropped down near to zero since 2011 when they introduced this tax, included of course mechanics, garages and so on.
:headbonk:

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
well for an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, that has 510 hp, you have to pay 5100 eur per year (1300 regular road tax + 3800 luxury "high power car" tax).
You can understand how stupid this is in a country that has many excellences in sport cars production like Ferrari, Maserati or Lamborghini. The high power cars market had dropped down near to zero since 2011 when they introduced this tax, included of course mechanics, garages and so on.
:headbonk:
That is pretty stupid. But with so many brands producing sports cars in Italy I'm amazed they didn't lobby the government against such a tax. Does this apply to vintage cars as well?

What if someone collects cars and has like 5-10 cars? They pay tens of thousands in tax just for owning them? Because this sort of taxation is in fact a prohibition.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
They killed the used car market too. This luxury tax is reduced after 5, 10 and 15 years; in the past vintage cars were extempted from road tax but they also removed this extemption.
Yeah I'm also amazed that Fiat (that owns Maserati, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo) did nothing to put down this tax.

Rev_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Anyway, that doesn't explain what we are seeing were: cars that fail to give the advertised power when put on a dyno.

What's going on, after all?

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Right. Did you guys see the news in some cars magazine?
The 2018 mustang has more power for the GT and... 290 hp for the ecoboost.

Perhaps they are trying to fix this?

Sponsored

Rev_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I think that is because of the new particles filter for petrol cars they're fitting on this new Ecoboost. Preety lame, if you ask me.

Anyway, I like to mod my cars, my '16 Ecoboost with Steeda tune, Mishimoto intercooler, Magnaflow cat back, gives 360 Hp on dyno. I'm happy.

But I would be totally pissed off if I bough a 314 Hp car and it measured only 250 Hp.

Again, I would like to know if these tests are made with 98 RON petrol or not. I'm pretty sure (despite Ford doesn't clearly admit it) that the 2.3 Ecoboost engine only has the advertised power with 98 RON.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Anyway, I like to mod my cars, my '16 Ecoboost with Steeda tune, Mishimoto intercooler, Magnaflow cat back, gives 360 Hp on dyno. I'm happy.

Again, I would like to know if these tests are made with 98 RON petrol or not. I'm pretty sure (despite Ford doesn't clearly admit it) that the 2.3 Ecoboost engine only has the advertised power with 98 RON.
Are these numbers to the wheel or at the engine? I have a very similar setup to yours: I have a Tune+ tune for 100 RON, MBRP Race catback exhausts (very similar to your Magnaflows) and a cp-e DeltaCore intercooler which is a bit larger than the Mishimoto one.

Also I always use 100 RON gas. In case I go to place where there is no 100 RON gas or where gas quality is questionable, I have a second map slot prepared by Adam for 95 RON gas.

Rev_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Are these numbers to the wheel or at the engine? I have a very similar setup to yours: I have a Tune+ tune for 100 RON, MBRP Race catback exhausts (very similar to your Magnaflows) and a cp-e DeltaCore intercooler which is a bit larger than the Mishimoto one.

Also I always use 100 RON gas. In case I go to place where there is no 100 RON gas or where gas quality is questionable, I have a second map slot prepared by Adam for 95 RON gas.
Engine. If it gave 360 rwhp, it would be an absolute beast, but I think you need upgraded injectors and engine internals for that kind of power on a 2.3 ecoboost.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I haven’t dynoed my car - and I am not going to - because a) results vary significantly from one dyno to the other and b) you have to compare the car before and after the mods+tune (which is impossible to do) in order to get a meaningful result. According to Adam I should expect around 315 whp, which is more or less 370 hp to the crank, assuming 15% drivetrain loss - very similar to your numbers.

One question though: how do you measure the engine power on a dyno?

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I haven’t dynoed my car - and I am not going to - because a) results vary significantly from one dyno to the other and b) you have to compare the car before and after the mods+tune (which is impossible to do) in order to get a meaningful result. According to Adam I should expect around 315 whp, which is more or less 370 hp to the crank, assuming 15% drivetrain loss - very similar to your numbers.

One question though: how do you measure the engine power on a dyno?
Why is it impossible to dyno before and after mods? I've done this with all of my performance cars. It's pointless to start modding when you don't know if what you add has given any gains or not. If you have a tuner/shop that you trust, I'm sure they will dyno your car stock for a good baseline dyno. Then make sure you always use them when you add mods.

As for determining engine power, you'd have to hook the car to an engine dyno, which is not something many after market shops can do. You need a special engine dyno that you strap the engine to. This is something that car manufacturers do when R&Ding their engines.
Sponsored