Sponsored

Window Tints in NY

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
Doesn't matter, NY doesn't make laws that make sense. They come up with some random number and pass the law.

Just remember it's never actually about safety. For anybody.
wasnt the tint law passed because a cop got shot by someone sitting in a car with dark tinted windows?
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
What bothers me most is that it is a stoppable offence.
On my way home after getting the ticket, my wife counted 45 cars with darker tint than mine.
Can you say easy source of revenue?

The POS cop was sitting in a parking lot adjacent to a major red lighted intersection.
Was probably picking people off all day.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
wasnt the tint law passed because a cop got shot by someone sitting in a car with dark tinted windows?
That's their reasoning, but really? Look, as a person who has a close relative who was a local cop for numerous years and general common sense, it doesn't matter. As a cop approaching a vehicle, you cannot see what a person is doing or holding until you are almost alongside their window. Tint or no tint if some piece of shit wants to shoot a cop to get out of a ticket, it's happening tint or not. If this law was really about that, they'd mandate 1 or 2 things; your windows must be down before an officer approaches your car. If they're not, the cop has the authority to ask that you exit the vehicle hands first before he approaches, or that at the very least, your window is down and your hands must be shown outside the vehicle until the cop says otherwise.

Tint on a driver's window isn't making any difference when a cop will get shot or not. Hell, nobody looking to do that is going to wait for the cop to get on top of them anyway, and to say the cop was shot specifically because of a tinted window is ludicrous.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All I have to say is: $$$$$$$$
Revenue stream.......

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
That's their reasoning, but really? Look, as a person who has a close relative who was a local cop for numerous years and general common sense, it doesn't matter. As a cop approaching a vehicle, you cannot see what a person is doing or holding until you are almost alongside their window. Tint or no tint if some piece of shit wants to shoot a cop to get out of a ticket, it's happening tint or not. If this law was really about that, they'd mandate 1 or 2 things; your windows must be down before an officer approaches your car. If they're not, the cop has the authority to ask that you exit the vehicle hands first before he approaches, or that at the very least, your window is down and your hands must be shown outside the vehicle until the cop says otherwise.

Tint on a driver's window isn't making any difference when a cop will get shot or not. Hell, nobody looking to do that is going to wait for the cop to get on top of them anyway, and to say the cop was shot specifically because of a tinted window is ludicrous.
im not arguing that, it is what it is. and if you still live in ny it sucks. im so happy i moved..ny $$ in fl is awesome, plus no emissions...i encourage anyone in ny to leave, the state blows

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
im not arguing that, it is what it is. and if you still live in ny it sucks. im so happy i moved..ny $$ in fl is awesome, plus no emissions...i encourage anyone in ny to leave, the state blows
Was just in Tampa for 4 days. I don't think I could tolerate the heat, plus with my job relocating is just about not happening :-(

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Anything police related helps, get a thin blue line license plate holder, stickers anything.

It's something I support, but it's definitely helped me out too.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Inspection done!

My plan was to stop at every shop, tell them I need an inspection done, but I have tints and if they would mind until I found a shop that would do it. My first stop was a success.

The shop owner said he gets calls all the time from his regulars about inspections with tint, and he tells everyone to come after 6pm, because that's when city inspectors go home (the ones that make sure shops are doing things by the book)

He charged me the regular price $37 and whatever else I wanted to add in, which I gave $50 total. Completely worth it to get this hassle over with.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Is this in the boroughs or Long Island

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had my inspection today at a guy that does European cars. Didn't even mention the tint, and it was 8am.
This was in Brooklyn.
And the 1st year inspection was $10.

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Inspection done!

My plan was to stop at every shop, tell them I need an inspection done, but I have tints and if they would mind until I found a shop that would do it. My first stop was a success.

The shop owner said he gets calls all the time from his regulars about inspections with tint, and he tells everyone to come after 6pm, because that's when city inspectors go home (the ones that make sure shops are doing things by the book)

He charged me the regular price $37 and whatever else I wanted to add in, which I gave $50 total. Completely worth it to get this hassle over with.

You did the right thing brother, once your passed your all good, they cannot prove from a legal standpoint that you didn't get it tinted 30 seconds after inspection was done. Unless a cop is sitting right there and watched you pass with tints they can't do anything to the shop that passes you
Sponsored