Sponsored

GT350R style fenders

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
So, I am thinking of fitting some om my GT and cannot decide which way to go.

Carbon or Fibreglass?
Anderson Composites or Carbon Dynamics?

Obviously being in the UK I need to get this right and I cannot easily send items back if they are not great.

Discussed this with my paint-shop guy and he actually likes the look of the duraflex Fibreglass ones. Does anyone know much about these?

I am not worried about weight saving or anything like that, I just want to get whatever will give me the best fit and finish.

Any pics or comments appreciated.

Cheers
Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Hi Steve,

I have been making panels and moulds for many years now and have always used GRP (Fibreglass). If you intend to paint the fenders you may as well go for GRP as carbon will cost more, though it will be lighter but less flexible. The GRP is also easier to repair if the worst should happen and it gets scuffed.

If you're not concerned about weight and dont want the carbon look, go GRP. I may even buy a pair and pop some moulds off em??

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Hi Nige,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am edging down the Fibreglass route I must admit. I certainly wont be leaving them unpainted.

I will also be keeping original fenders so can put them back on if needed.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
What Nige says is spot on!

GRP will still save you a lot of weight, my M3 is all GRP, except boot lid and front splitters. The other with carbon is sometimes the weave still shows through the paint, which for me is a no no when you want the car to look like it came from the factory.

The most important is fitment, a lot of this kit does not line up nicely, so I'd try to get as many close up photos you can find of fitment, when I got some M3 wings, I sold them on, the lines were not straight, looked rubbish. I then found a place in Bulgaria doing wings, perfect fitment and ÂŁ240 for a pair with a 6kg saving.

Just ask the various options for some close up photos. Also check MRR gallery on their site, there is a white Mustang with GT 350 fenders fitted with close up shots and it don't look too bad, he is a member here so you could find his build thread for more details. ;)

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Cheers Gibbo.

Yeh, fitment worries me which is why I am hoping that maybe some of the US guys may have experience.

Cannot see any MMR pics. Gotta say their website isn't that user friendly!!

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Cheers Gibbo.

Yeh, fitment worries me which is why I am hoping that maybe some of the US guys may have experience.

Cannot see any MMR pics. Gotta say their website isn't that user friendly!!
Here ya go:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrrwheels/albums/72157671077036444

He is a member on this forum, check the MRR FS02 threads as he was a regular poster in that thread towards the end, as he has brushed on one side and gloss black the other side. Ying Yang! :D

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Please do a search on this forum for Carbon Dynamics, they don't have a good reputation and you'll see why.

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Please do a search on this forum for Carbon Dynamics, they don't have a good reputation and you'll see why.

Yes I had been this morning. Pretty much ruled them out now.
Many Thanks

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Yes I had been this morning. Pretty much ruled them out now.
Many Thanks
Good deal, didn't mean to sound like a search nazi I just don't want anyone else getting screwed over :cheers:

Sponsored
OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Good deal, didn't mean to sound like a search nazi I just don't want anyone else getting screwed over :cheers:
Thats exactly why I posted mate. Any info/advice is welcome. Doesn't mean I will take it of course!!

Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Bagged & Boosted 50th Anniversary
Here ya go:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrrwheels/albums/72157671077036444

He is a member on this forum, check the MRR FS02 threads as he was a regular poster in that thread towards the end, as he has brushed on one side and gloss black the other side. Ying Yang! :D
Hey, that's me! Haha.

Don't go with Carbon Dynamics. I tried to deal with them initially and it was a complete waste of time. Sam is unprofessional and unorganized. I strongly urge you to not go with Duraflex, either. I have never seen any Duraflex piece fit properly, and it has always needed some sort of work.

If sealed and painted properly, carbon parts shouldn't have the twill show through. I've painted a good amount of carbon parts without issue; my Anderson Composite fenders are carbon and painted with no bleed through.
Anderson fenders are lighter than the stock ones (not by huge amounts, but they are) and have held up great on my car without issue.

I've been in the body shop/restoration business, so I've seen a lot of good and bad aftermarket. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Hey, that's me! Haha.

Don't go with Carbon Dynamics. I tried to deal with them initially and it was a complete waste of time. Sam is unprofessional and unorganized. I strongly urge you to not go with Duraflex, either. I have never seen any Duraflex piece fit properly, and it has always needed some sort of work.

If sealed and painted properly, carbon parts shouldn't have the twill show through. I've painted a good amount of carbon parts without issue; my Anderson Composite fenders are carbon and painted with no bleed through.
Anderson fenders are lighter than the stock ones (not by huge amounts, but they are) and have held up great on my car without issue.

I've been in the body shop/restoration business, so I've seen a lot of good and bad aftermarket. Hope that helps.
Funny enough I had just come on to PM you after finding out the car is yours. Thanks for your advice. I may just take it!
Sponsored