Winter Driven Mustang (Picture Heavy)

Phathalate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White
Before you say anything, I am fully aware the following is going to upset a lot of people so if you hate seeing a Mustang with the smallest spec of dust on it, leave this thread now. Can't say I didn't warn you.

Now that they're all gone, I wish to share pictures of my winter driven Mustang with those who are interested. I'm a car guy, I love my car more than most things but I am one of those anti-garage-queen car guys. I love to see a Lamborghini with roof racks or a Porsche with mud on it. Be prepared for the following dirt and feel free to share your own photos!

A little backstory. I came into a good job just before the S550 was released and it was my first ever car purchase. Before that, my family owned a Volkswagen dealership (sold before dieselgate thank god) so I'd driven Jetta's and GTI's all my life. The 2015 Mustang GT was a drastic departure from the Germans and what a decision it was. It was one of the first, if not the first, S550 Mustangs in my city and boy oh boy did she ever get a lot of attention. I didn't help that by ordering it in Oxford White with the 20" wheels, then I put a Borla S-Type Catback on it to make it one of the loudest cars in the province so I'm very much to blame for the attention.

It's been just about two years and I can't imagine life without my beloved Mustang. I baby the thing. I drive it like my old Jetta. My service advisor compliments me on the condition of the car every time I visit because everything wears evenly and lasts far longer than the average Mustang driver in my area. He even offered to buy it from me personally when I get to that point (NEVER).

Here's a nice post-wash summer photo to enjoy. I take FAR too many photos of this car.

Mod List (it's short)

Borla S-Type Catback
Diode Dynamics Full LED Interior Conversion
DD^ Switchbacks
and I made the diffuser Black.

That's it.

I love this car,

If you couldn't tell.

Now begins the part I warned you about. I live in Nova Scotia. It's that far east Maritime Province with the Cabot Trail (Which I urge you all to drive) and really cheap lobster. You've heard of us before somewhere. You might have also heard that our winters are awful. This is where the fun continues. I winter drive my Mustang GT in awful Eastern Canadian winters because I love seeing cars driven and enjoyed as the manufacturer intended them to be. Considering this is a RWD V8 American Muscle Car with barely any weight over the back wheels, the Mustang GT is exceptional in snow, it's honestly incredible how good it is. It's tail happy but controllable and my god does it ever make you smile. The only issue is ground clearance when the snow starts to pile but other than that, I've not once been worried about getting stuck (and I NEVER thought I would say this.)

Now, I didn't want to damage my beautiful wheels but didn't want to invest in winter rims so I decided to have fun with it. I called the parts desk at the Ford dealership and asked for Mustang Steel winter rims. The guy on the other end almost choked, "uh, we don't have steels for Mustangs but I'm pretty sure Fusion's will fit." They needed to be larger than 18"s to clear the brakes and I made that very clear as he tried to sell me 16s.

Steelies are traditionally uncool but what cars use steel wheels all year, are also white, and are Fords? That's right. I bought four centre caps from a retired NYPD Crown Victoria off Ebay and put them on my White Ford Mustang GT for the full Police look.

You would not believe how quickly people move out of the way on the highway, and you may not believe me, but I'm actually not an a**hole.

So, Mustang prepped and loaded for Winter.
Incoming Dirty Snowy Photographs.

Theatrical Entrance I like to call it pictured above.

I hope you enjoyed this post and the photos, If it offended you, you can reach me personally at [email protected]. If you're also in the prestigious Winter Driven Mustang Club, please share your photos and experiences with us!

Take care and happy+safe driving!
Sponsored

Last edited:

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
I daily drive mine through the winter as well. Love this car too much to not drive it.

Babystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT premium
Love it. Definitely a fun car to drive all year round. I cringe a little when I look at my mileage but I hate not driving this car. Only have had one real snowstorm so far here in New York but my baby held up nice
IMG_20170107_162324_663-2844x2844.jpg

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Those steel rims are epic!!

Dont suppose you have a part number?

Mine is daily driven here in Europe.

IMG_20170107_102840.jpg

profpic1.jpg

20170107_142427.jpg

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Are you driving that in the snow on summer pp tires?
yup.

Ive got a winter beater I can use if I want/need, but I wanted to learn how the car behaved in the snow/ice so have driven it a few times in proper wintry stuff.

On clear (but cold) days like today, it does my daily 50 mile commute no questions asked.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Here's mine with its winter wheels and tires.
ForumRunner_20170123_055409.png

ibinubu12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 2.3L Premium MT82 EB PP
Mine's daily drive year round too! :)

Ordered a set of the OEM 18" base GT/EB Premium wheels for the winter, running Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I pulled mine out of the garage one time when it snow. It was epic.
SLIV6557.jpg

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Are you driving that in the snow on summer pp tires?
yup.

Ive got a winter beater I can use if I want/need, but I wanted to learn how the car behaved in the snow/ice so have driven it a few times in proper wintry stuff.

On clear (but cold) days like today, it does my daily 50 mile commute no questions asked.
:doh:

You can't be serious...Summer tires?!?
Even if you don't get stuck in the snow (which you will on any snowy inclined surface), you're asking for trouble on dry pavement too as you probably have 30% of your normal traction in the cold temps.

How much is your insurance deductible? Maybe that's cheaper than a set of snow tires?

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
:doh:

You can't be serious...Summer tires?!?
Even if you don't get stuck in the snow (which you will on any snowy inclined surface), you're asking for trouble on dry pavement too as you probably have 30% of your normal traction in the cold temps.

How much is your insurance deductible? Maybe that's cheaper than a set of snow tires?
Well, sorry to piss on your bonfire but I completed 100+ miles in snowy and ice conditions (up and down slopes, too!) and im still here to tell the tale. The trick is to have 1/2 a brain and drive to the conditions.

I now know a LOT more about how the car handles/stops/accelerates in the snow, so was very worthwhile.

My Volvo S60 on snow tires is available when I want it. Today its around -1C but dry, and the Mustang will perform just as good as any other car.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
It kills me to see that Mustang all filthy and in the snow, but you're making the best of it!

Thanks for sharing, and keep enjoying your 'stang to its fullest potential!

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
God bless all you guys who drive them in the snow, I don't daily drive mine but I sure miss it a lot during these winter months! Once every couple weeks if the weather is nice I take mine out of the garage for a drive , but it's just not worth it on summer tires to drive it a lot on cold roads. Very little traction making almost 450 rwhp lol

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Pirelli Sottozero 3 on the 20" wheels. She's done fine in everything we've had this winter. I didn't buy her to not drive her.
snowstang.jpg
Sponsored