Sponsored

2018 Ecoboost power and price numbers?

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Ford says there is an increase in torque, has anybody heard more info on the 2018 EB?
Sponsored

pwmin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2015 Ecoboost Base Performance MTX
nothing a tune won't beat. I don't know anything about the changes, though.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
From Car and Driver:

We expect the revised engine, currently rated at 310 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque, will boast numbers closer to the version found in the Ford Focus RS, which is rated at 350 horsepower and 350 lb-ft.

They say the pricing on the 18 Ecoboost should stay about the same.

TC :ford:

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I would say that is very large conjecture on that assumption. from what i read it is only a torque increase momentarily (which i also find hard to believe ONLY increasing torque).
BUT.. if there is a power hike... ill probably still wait for the 2020 re design :D haha

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Ford RS has a larger turbo and intercooler and a stronger engine (stronger cylinder head and gasket, and block lined cast iron) to handle the power increase. Don't think they can do that to the stang keeping the price level down from a gt along with keeping the stang from torque steering off the road . It will likely be more like the FP tune turned out now that they no longer have to worry about cannibalizing the v6s. I also got a sneaky suspicion that it will be heavier.

Last edited:

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Even if they kept the stock power levels but re-tuned it to hold power past 6k RPM it'd be a win in my book. Now that I've had mine a few months I find the dramatic power drop off past 5k RPM to be a real downer when trying to have some fun.

Power wise, it's just a little shy of where I think it should be. It needs to be strong enough across the RPM range to push you back in the seat when you get on it. With the stock tune, it doesn't.

I bet it'll be a de-tuned version of the FRPP tune. Probably 320hp/350tq. Something along those lines, at least.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Even if they kept the stock power levels but re-tuned it to hold power past 6k RPM it'd be a win in my book. Now that I've had mine a few months I find the dramatic power drop off past 5k RPM to be a real downer when trying to have some fun.

Power wise, it's just a little shy of where I think it should be. It needs to be strong enough across the RPM range to push you back in the seat when you get on it. With the stock tune, it doesn't.
What you're looking for I don't think you'll find without a change in turbo. Even if the car is tuned and there is a small bump up top, it will still drop off at the same rate as the entire rev range has gained power. The power loss is a characteristic of the turbo, not the tune.

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
In the 2018 information that was released, Ford stated that there is an increase in HP and torque for the GT but only an increase in torque for the ecoboost. If they were going to increase the horsepower as well, I surely think they would have mentioned it in the release as well.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
What you're looking for I don't think you'll find without a change in turbo. Even if the car is tuned and there is a small bump up top, it will still drop off at the same rate as the entire rev range has gained power. The power loss is a characteristic of the turbo, not the tune.
True, but at least with a tune the power is much higher. Big turbo is a couple years out for me, unfortunately.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
In the 2018 information that was released, Ford stated that there is an increase in HP and torque for the GT but only an increase in torque for the ecoboost. If they were going to increase the horsepower as well, I surely think they would have mentioned it in the release as well.
Yeh, but if the TQ increased so did the HP, at least at the peak TQ rpm, maybe it still drops a lot as rpm grows so max HP is same.
So in other words better mid-range power.

It seems they did make changes to the engine as it was noted the FP head is not direct bolt on to newer models of 2.3.

Be interesting to see what they changed on 18 model.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The car will most likely get something like the overboost function on the RS. This will up the torque value, while keeping the hp the same.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I wonder what the logic behind not giving the EB a HP increase is? It's not like the engine is close to tapped out at 310hp/320tq.

The 5.0 is getting a bump in HP and TQ, and probably a sizeable one at that.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I would guess the same hp, and more tq. Torque is much easier to come up with on a turbo car, and not effect hp at all.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I'm disappointed they didn't go dual fuel on the 2.3.. like they did with the 3.5EB and now the 5.0.. seems like it would do a lot for the reliability and performance ceiling for the 2.3

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Surprised the 2.7 from the sport version of the Fusion was used.
Sponsored