Sponsored

New 2018 Coyote 5.0 Engine...

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
There you have it, Lexus RC-F has 467 HP from 5.0 liter. Forget Camaro , Ford is ready to go after Lexus with 470 + HP.
Sponsored

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
To bad the eco stang doesn't offer port/direct injection

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
This is all speculation on my part but I have built motors where I added 1 point of compression and done nothing else to the engine. What I found was a nice increase in torque and mid range but only a small increase in top end power. The motor also made best power with slightly less timing.

I know my example does not transfer over 100% because of the DI so my experience probably does not mean much.

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
The new GT engine will have 455HP, and the GT500 will have 755HP.
Uhh... no. The Ford Performance PP2 intake and tune upgrade without direct injection adds 21 hp to the factory Coyote 435 for 456 on 91 octane. I can't imagine direct injection won't beat that.

Sponsored

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
Uhh... no. The Ford Performance PP2 intake and tune upgrade without direct injection adds 21 hp to the factory Coyote 435 for 456 on 91 octane. I can't imagine direct injection won't beat that.
Yeah, well this is my guess. Ford wants to leave something on the table. We will have to wait and see!

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
What Ford can do and what they will do are 2 different things. Ford could make +500HP out of the new coyote if the wanted to. But I think 465HP is a nice and realistic number
Yeah, well this is my guess. Ford wants to leave something on the table. We will have to wait and see!
Agree.

Ford will adjust the tune so that it does not cannibalize the Shelby FPC 5.2 while they are still selling them, which they are in 2018. And again the stock tune is conservative as they need to think about things like mpg and the EPA tests etc; plus the overall safety and longevity of the engine. This is why tuners can get another 10% easily. They also surely want to leave some meat on the bone for the 2020 in 2 years if they keep the 5.0

There would be no logistical reason to go over the 455-465ish range. That puts it at or about the Camaro SS (455hp) with comparable exhaust/suspension now. The Challenger 392 has 485hp/475ft lbs, but its a boat at 4300 pounds and needs every bit of that to move it and be competitive with the Mustang and Camaro as is.

Remember the 2015 Camaro SS came out with 426hp and Ford bumped it off with 435hp. I personally can see Ford doing 460 or 465 to one up the Camaro by a few hp again.

The Coyote could benefit GREATLY by bumping up that torque from 400 rather than stuffing more hp in.

My personal guess is 460 or 465hp and 430 ft lbs. Compression ratio bump from 11:1 to 12:1 and direct injection will give it a nice hp bump, and the direct injection will add some much needed low end torque.

Last edited:

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
The nice thing about direct injection is how much more energetic it makes the engine feel. Feeling of more torque through out the powerband.

Cant wait to see a dyno and see the gains through out the rev range and not peak numbers.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
The Challenger 392 has 485hp/475ft lbs, but its a boat at 4300 pounds and needs every bit of that to move it and be competitive with the Mustang and Camaro as is.
The 392 Challengers are very competitive, and then some. My '16 Challenger Scat Pack weighs 4180 lbs. Stock Scat Packs run slightly quicker in the 1/4 mile vs stock Coyotes and with tune/tires run high 11's while the Coyote takes additional mods to get into the 11's. My '14 GT, for example, took a converter, exhaust, tune, and tires to get to where it's at now (see signature for details).

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
The 392 Challengers are very competitive, and then some. My '16 Challenger Scat Pack weighs 4180 lbs. Stock Scat Packs run slightly quicker in the 1/4 mile vs stock Coyotes and with tune/tires run high 11's while the Coyote takes additional mods to get into the 11's. My '14 GT, for example, took a converter, exhaust, tune, and tires to get to where it's at now (see signature for details).
There are Coyotes in the 11's on just tune and street tyres.

Sponsored

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So....
With an increase in MPG's and HP..... I hope that Ford is not planning on using Active Fuel Management. Something that's currently being used on Camaro SS and Challenger V8's.... Cylinder de-activation would be a deal breaker for me..... despite the fact that it can be 'tuned-out'..... it just changes an entire valve train.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'87 Mustang (Sold); '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '19 Ranger
And with direct injection you get heavy carbon build up. And that will lead to knock! Good job ford. Another service we have to pay for.
Carbon buildup with direct injection is on the tops of the valves, not necessarily the chamber, so it will not cause knock, plus DI helps prevent knock due to the direct injection of fuel into the cylinder (thus it allows for higher compression). Further, Ford is using dual injection on this engine which means there are also standard injectors spraying on the tops of the valves like a non-DI engine, thus the valves will be kept clean due to the fuel hitting them. So this engine will have the best of both worlds.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'87 Mustang (Sold); '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '19 Ranger
Maybe Ford will surprise us. GT350 cam profiles (adjusted for the CPC of course), a GT350 intake or similar and it will make 475hp and 430tq in a detuned form. To be honest, looking at their crate offerings, this would be attainable.

I doubt any lower than 455 as stated and as high as 475. The GT350 would still be safe and besides, even if it beats and GT350 in the quarter, the GT350 engine will still rule on the road course which is why they went with the FPC anyway...

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
So....
With an increase in MPG's and HP..... I hope that Ford is not planning on using Active Fuel Management. Something that's currently being used on Camaro SS and Challenger V8's.... Cylinder de-activation would be a deal breaker for me..... despite the fact that it can be 'tuned-out'..... it just changes an entire valve train.
In those cars the only thing it changes are the lifters and springs, both cheap and easily replaced if you're going with a larger cam.