Sponsored

New 2018 Coyote 5.0 Engine...

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Not quite sure how much it will help in terms of mpg. Most sources say 15% gain, so even on the current GT's 16/25 its only about a 2.5/3.75 mpg gain. Not a dramatic increase there.
It is when that 15% can make it several thousand even severals tens of thousands cheaper in many countries in Europe. In both MSRP+Taxes and road tax.

And also when you factor in that for every Mustang sold it'll be 15% more efficient which has a big impact on their entire fleet.
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Jesus, I know I'm old, but I have a hard time managing 435 HP safely. 455 HP sounds like a barrel of monkeys fun!
So is the announcement of the dual clutch an admission from Ford the existing clutch is a POS?

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
Not quite sure how much it will help in terms of mpg. Most sources say 15% gain, so even on the current GT's 16/25 its only about a 2.5/3.75 mpg gain. Not a dramatic increase there.
A three MPG increase would be huge for those of us that drive 18k+ miles a year.

I currently average 19 MPG with my driving style. It that were to increase to 22 while driving 18k a year, I would save about 120 gallons a year. This wouldn't make or break my bank, but it would slightly offset the cost of purchasing an '18 if someone were on the fence.

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
With the little bit of info out there for the 2018 5.0 upgrades, I'm guessing that they're going to have the GT350 intake, TB, and CAI now. The power from that, plus the increase from 11:1 to 12:1 compression should bump the GT to the advertised 7500RPM redline and bring power into the 470-480 range with more low end power than before. I'm predicting about 8% increase in MPG, so going from 25 to 27. That's a huge gain for Ford, even if most of us don't care much about that.

There won't be any carbon buildup issues on the valves with this dual style injection system. That's one of the great side affects of adding auxiliary port injection to a direct injection engine in the aftermarket. I'm sure that's the main reason that Ford went with this combination rather than DI alone. Toyota has been using this in their Lexus 5.0 V8 and the FRS/BRZ/GT86 Boxer engine for a long time now. It keeps things nice and clean.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've had a DI/PI combo engine before. No carbon buildup issues. Even people with 100k+ on the cars simply don't have that problem.
Ditto. I actually added port injection to one of my DI cars and my valves looked great. What do I know. I just like to repeat stupid shit on the internet like E85 will destroy your car and DI with port injection will destroy your valves :lol:

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
What I want to know is will Ford still sell the PI crate motor along side with the PI/DI motor.

If the PI/DI motor takes boost as well as the current 5.0 I'll have no gripes... but if it doesn't Ford better not piss me off and take it off the market.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
What I want to know is will Ford still sell the PI crate motor along side with the PI/DI motor.

If the PI/DI motor takes boost as well as the current 5.0 I'll have no gripes... but if it doesn't Ford better not piss me off and take it off the market.
Well you could always carburate it...:lol:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The new GT engine will have 455HP, and the GT500 will have 755HP.

For the love of whatever the hell you all worship, STOP saying GT500 until Ford says it. Do you work for Ford? Do you have empirical evidence that a GT500 is coming? Didn't think so either.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
More than 455 and there is not going to be a GT500 for this chassis. :cheers:

When the 2015 first came out and they said the 5.0 motor was using almost all the Boss parts in it. (Only thing I think was left out was the boss intake.) I was hoping that these motors made 450+

Now I am wondering with all these new technologie going into the 5.0 motor. Which one of the performance companies will try and take new parts off the 5.0 and make them work on the current 5.0's

I know this isn't the fox body days were parts were pretty much interchangeable. But there is 1 mad scientist that can figure how to make it all work together.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Ford must really be taking performance seriously to replace every piece in the 5.0 engine except the crank.
I think its just a natural part of adding the new features. DI means new heads. Cam driven HPFP means new cam/cams. Plasma bores mean new block, hopefully they actually made a new casting with more meat in the cylinders. Increased compression means new pistons. Throw on a new intake and that's 90% of the engine. Higher rev limit may require new valve train, cam profiles, and possibly new rods even though the old stuff has been pushed to 7500rpm successfully.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
You'll see......
Ford should have consulted you before wasting millions of dollars on a seperate LP fuel system in the hopeless pursuit of thwarting carbon buildup.:cool:
Sponsored