Sponsored

First Track experience tomorrow.

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
Tomorrow will be the first ever track experience for me. I'm curious what suggestions you'd all offer a first timer to ensure I get the most out of the experience and the car?

Any thing to be aware of if I adjust the cars settings for the track before heading home? How about taping up my front splitter with painters tape? Tire inflation suggestions? How about any additional maintenance needed after a first time on the track? I'll be flipping through my supplement later today but wanted any good to know info from you guys as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Tomorrow will be the first ever track experience for me. I'm curious what suggestions you'd all offer a first timer to ensure I get the most out of the experience and the car?

Any thing to be aware of if I adjust the cars settings for the track before heading home? How about taping up my front splitter with painters tape? Tire inflation suggestions? How about any additional maintenance needed after a first time on the track? I'll be flipping through my supplement later today but wanted any good to know info from you guys as well.

Thanks!
Follow FP recommendations. 28psi cold tire pressure. Obviously you will not be able to adjust camber unless you have plates. Start slow. Learn the track. Get an instructor. Put the car in track mode and enjoy the drive. The more laps you do the more confidence will build.

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
My advice is to breath deeply, relax and start planning how to cope with a whole new method to empty your wallet.

Have a good time.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Thanks!
What track? If your car isn't protected with clear bra, I'd cover the front end with track tape or road wrap. If you don't have any of that available, painters tape all over the front end. Tracks beat the crap out of your car. You can always replace the splitter, however rock chips all over your hood and front end will be much more costly.... I priced out the stripes on the front end and they ran 1K.

I would bleed the brakes with Castrol SRF or equivalent.

I would set my camber to the maximum negative setting that I could get with the stock camber plates that you have. If you don't, you will only wear your front tires prematurely.

Double check your oil filter is torqued correctly.

That's the basics, but its a little late in the game to get all that done.

Have fun!

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
For your first time I would suggest the following:

- Sport mode with steering in Normal. The nannies are not intrusive unless the car really gets out of shape or you jump on the power way to hard for the steering input.
- FP tire recommendation in the owner supplement that came with the car.
- Clear out the car of extra items not needed for your trip
- Make sure your helmet meets the clubs requirements in case they don't have a loaner.
- If you don't have something like track wrap tape the front up to at least the hood with blue painters tape when you get there. Don't forget headlights.
- Check all your fluids.
- Nearly full tank of gas when you get to the track.
- If it is one day and first time ever then don't worry about your camber setting yet.

Relax, have fun and listen to your instructor. :headbang:

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Most important is to get track day Insurance.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
^^^ This. Don't know how I forgot that one.

OP
OP
STFUdonny

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
Thanks guys! Copy all so far. I have full front and side mirrors covered with PPF. I'm curious if painters tape on the panels in front of my rear wheels would be a good idea as those are not covered.

I called my insurance company and they were rather unhelpful at State Farm. They told me to call my local office but of course they open Monday and I go tonorrow. What suggestions would you all have with this scenario? Do you get insurance from a different agency besides your primary coverage?

Thanks!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks guys! Copy all so far. I have full front and side mirrors covered with PPF. I'm curious if painters tape on the panels in front of my rear wheels would be a good idea as those are not covered.

I called my insurance company and they were rather unhelpful at State Farm. They told me to call my local office but of course they open Monday and I go tonorrow. What suggestions would you all have with this scenario? Do you get insurance from a different agency besides your primary coverage?

Thanks!
https://locktonmotorsports.com/

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Google track day insurance. There are several online companies. Remember deductible is usually 10% but a hard hit could exceed that quickly.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Sounds simple, but check your oil and be sure it's topped off. Other than that put it in sport mode, don't try to do too much, and have a great time! Oh, and listen to your instructor's feedback.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Bah, don't cover the car with anything. It should look like this when you get home.

Little paint chips of honor and bravery
Thats how I roll!
Sponsored