The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
2018 Ford Mustang GT 10-Speed Auto ...

My experience with dual mass flywheels is a negative one. They wear out, and start to come apart...this causes nasty chatter. With high horsepower (significantly over stock hp) this flywheel will be a weak link. Dual mass flywheel equipt vehicles will have aftermarket single mass flywheels to improve durability.

I'd bet the twin clutch design will be a positive.
Looks like thats what I am going with.
Sponsored

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
I have though most OEM flywheels are dual mass due to the positive NVH characteristics. Have any of the previous production Mustangs not had a dual mass flywheel? It seems like the '18 GT setup is very similar to the GT350 setup. I don't see many people having issues in that car.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Dual-Mass Flywheels (in my experience) are not resurfaceable. The Hyundai Tiburon V6 uses a dual mass and when it comes to be clutch time, the flywheel is thrown away. You must replace. Not cheap, even for a Hyundai. I can't imagine a Mustang one would be any more affordable.

Luckily, even in the case of the Hyundai, the aftermarket stepped up and brought us some high quality, single-mass flywheels. Much more durable and dare I say, my Tiburon idles MUCH smoother since ditching the OE flywheel.

Just sayin'....

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I have though most OEM flywheels are dual mass due to the positive NVH characteristics. Have any of the previous production Mustangs not had a dual mass flywheel? It seems like the '18 GT setup is very similar to the GT350 setup. I don't see many people having issues in that car.
What's the highest millage GT350 right now?
Sponsored