Sponsored

18' GT and new 6-speed Manual

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Guys, with the new twin clutch and twin flywheel, how is that going to affect the shifting and what's the benefit of this combo?

In one of my cars, I went from steel FW to Aluminum FW and created a problem of revving faster and the turbos would boost faster and I couldn't get traction. Although this car is a N/A, will it affect the rev timing?

And will the twin clutch add a better synchronization?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The clutch plates, mid plate, pressure plate, and wear surfaces of the flywheel can all be made in a smaller diameter for the same torque capability and pedal effort. The smaller diameter reduces the rotational inertia even if there is no reduction in weight, and it would allow the engine to rev more quickly as a result. MOI is mass times radius (squared), and the mass term itself depends partly on its outer radius.

Norm

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Just did a little research on this matter. Kind of sounds like these two combined counter each other in a way. The twin disc clutch gives twice the clamp pressure with no more peddle force and since it's two discs it also helps dissipate heat. Seems to be good in performance applications. On the other hand the dual mass flywheel helps knock down on vibration from the engine and aids in driver comfort. Website I checked out says a single mass will handle more torque and because it gives you more feedback, many prefer it for performance applications.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I seem to recall that dual-mass flywheels should be considered 'wear items', apparently for wear and abuse on internal parts. They are NOT considered resurface-able.

http://www.allstatetransmission.net/what-is-a-dual-mass-flywheel

Norm
I read the same thing. Dampening vibration helps with less wear on the rest of the drivetrain and transmission. Can't resurface and more expensive to replace when the time comes.

Not the best for performance though it seems.

Sponsored

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Dual mass flywheels reduce NVH by absorbing the power pulses from the engine, but they can be considered an expensive wear item. After a while, they are sometimes not even available as replacements and you have to convert back to a single mass (like on my C4 corvette).

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm betting it will be a lighter pedal feel and just handle higher torque. At the end of the day it's still an mt82 and will still suck. Hopefully it just sucks less

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Guys, with the new twin clutch and twin flywheel, how is that going to affect the shifting and what's the benefit of this combo?
And will the twin clutch add a better synchronization?
My guess is the single disc clutch is maxed around current coyote power levels and the next step is twin disc to keep clutch peddle light.

I doubt it will change synchronization unless they carry over some of the transmission improvements from the GT350, such as triple cone syncs.

OP
OP
Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
With all these new mechanical & performance improvements to engine and tranny, the 18" MY is sounding very attractive. A high revving 450HP N/A sounds sweet, almost like a 302.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So when the dual mass flywheel goes out do you change out the throw out bearing and clutch since you're in there anyway? If you gotta do the whole job I'd probably go lightweight flywheel.
You are already anticipating a flywheel failure? GT350 is running a dual mass flywheel. Dual mass flywheel should help protect the syncs.

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
My experience with dual mass flywheels is a negative one. They wear out, and start to come apart...this causes nasty chatter. With high horsepower (significantly over stock hp) this flywheel will be a weak link. Dual mass flywheel equipt vehicles will have aftermarket single mass flywheels to improve durability.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]3N4_pvjzgaw[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]AgBmSH27iu0[/MEDIA]"]

I'd bet the twin clutch design will be a positive.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So when the dual mass flywheel goes out do you change out the throw out bearing and clutch since you're in there anyway? If you gotta do the whole job I'd probably go lightweight flywheel.
I'm betting that it'll usually turn out to be the other way around - when you do your clutch job, you'll of course do the TOB.

Then on top of that, you'd have to inspect the flywheel, and since it won't be resurfaceable any scoring or evidence of overheating that you'd consider resurfacing out of a conventional flywheel would be grounds for discard and replacement. Plus there may be other inspection procedures intended to determine the condition of internal components, with replacement still being the likely requirement if anything turns out to be only marginally OK.

I'll have to see if Brake & Front End magazine or one of the other Babcox repair industry periodicals has ever discussed dual-mass flywheels. There's an online version at least for B&FE.

Norm

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had a dual mass on my 2002 SVT Focus and it was junk...Ford had 3 recalls on it during my ownership. Its heavy, were know to fall apart and made revving slower, best option was a single lightweight one...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Hope Ford works on improving the clutch pedal feel and modulation. Current S550 clutch pedal feel is "disconnected" until you put a softer pedal assist spring in.
Sponsored