Sponsored

Clutch inconsistent?

guncrazy72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP black on black
I have a 17 GT PP with 4400 miles on it. I bought it new, its my DD and the only mods are Roush axle back and a Steeda clutch spring. I keep noticing this at random times when I drive. Some drives, all of the shifts are smooth, consistent and the clutch feels perfect. Other times, the clutch and shifting feel completely different and it really pisses me off.

This change in feel and shifting can be from sitting over night or from driving the car, parking or 30 minuets and then taking off of again. Anyone else have a inconsistent clutch engagement and shifting? This is all noticed when the car is at operating temps.

I love the car but the clutch and trans are starting to really drive me crazy. It makes me feel like Ive never driven manuals before when I have so for years.
Sponsored

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
I feel exactly the same way. Also felt that way about my previous Mustang ('13 GT).

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I feel your pain...I'm hoping the Steeda Spring will help with the clutch feel. Been driving manuals all my life but I feel like a noob at times.

I notice mine more when the car is cold...very jumpy.

DoubleX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT
For me, it's not just the clutch, its the gearbox. I miss 3rd gear about once a day.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
shifting issues can be solved with a good aftermarket shifter like MGW and changing the transmission fluid to a better one. Clutch felt a lot more accurate to me after removing the factory spring. Im not running any spring

Sponsored

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Steeda Tri-Ax replacement shifter, Steeda clutch spring, Steeda stainless clutch line, BG tranny fluid and it still is inconsistent. It's the gearbox.

All those above did make a difference but it still blows. The only real thing I don't like about this car is the gearbox, clutch pedal and/or shifter assembly.

OP
OP
guncrazy72

guncrazy72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sucks that the trans and clutch somewhat ruin the car. Its getting to the point for me that I cant really enjoy the car because every now and then Ill end up riding the clutch a bit, screw up a downshift blip or just get out of wack because of the clutch.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Especially when cold or at least when its still idling higher at startup and just after startup

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Yep, I know exactly what your saying. Very frustrating. I absolutely hate this clutch/tranny setup.

OP
OP
guncrazy72

guncrazy72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be completely honest, its already crossed my mind to sell the car even though I bought it in November.

Sponsored

mibairho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, FP Roush S/C
My clutch engagement has been consistent, but I had the clunky/bit of grinding, like I don't push the clutch in all the way, feeling in my shifter. Yesterday, I had my local performance shop install the Barton Hybrid 3 flat stick shifter on my 2016 Mustang GT PP. Night and Day difference for the better. You will feel the drivetrain vibration more, but so worth it. No more sloppy/clunk feeling. Smooth shifts, and shorter throw.

What I hated about my car is at WOT it would torque too much the drivetrain and it was hard to hit 3rd gear. Not no more!!

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
To be completely honest, its already crossed my mind to sell the car even though I bought it in November.
I have parts sitting in my garage because I am pondering the same. Wish Ben Calimer lived in Ca. I would have no problems spending the money to have it built the right way.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Same here with my '15. It's almost like the clutch has not engaged all the way. And recently I've started noticing some chattering or a vibration while cold and letting out the clutch in traffic.
I'm just waiting on that POS to explode at any moment so I can install an RST.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
So how doe we know if its more of a clutch issue or tranny issue? Between the third gear lockout, bad high rpm buzz in clutch during shifts I can't tell which one.

Scott what made you decide on the rst vs rxt? Im still back and fourth on the two.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
RST is plenty strong enough for my stock engine and is made of normal clutch material. RXT material is what is used in high performance racing clutches that has been know to cause some chatter when feathering the clutch for a smooth start. Although everyone has said it doesn't do it, I prefer not to go there, nor do I need that much holding power. So why not save a couple hundred bucks?
Sponsored