NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Because sitting on a couch and watching a TV is a little less important than sitting in a car seat traveling down a road 70 mph where seeing multiple variables are important and needed. Do you need a dash to drive? No. Do we rely on them in our everyday commutes, yes. So the requirements are probably much higher because it's something we need to rely on.

In what way would an automotive dash LCD screen need to be higher quality than a TV, or other consumer electronics?

Lap-tops, tablets and smart-phones all have LCD displays, and they get more abuse than any dashboard ever will. Unless you drop and break your LCD screen's glass, they last forever.

I think LCD displays are much more durable than given credit for.
Sponsored

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
The automotive industry does indeed have far greater standards than the consumer industry.

I guess the simplistic view would be that Sony only warrants their electronics for 1 year. Ford, 3 years. Or 300% more.
That would be 200% more.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Screenshot (105).jpg
fire.jpg

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
That's not answering the question at hand.

In what way would an automotive dash LCD screen need to be higher quality than a TV, or other consumer electronics?

Lap-tops, tablets and smart-phones all have LCD displays, and they get more abuse than any dashboard ever will. Unless you drop and break your LCD screen's glass, they last forever.

I think LCD displays are much more durable than given credit for.
Actually it answered the question exactly how it needed to. You asked why would the automotive requirements would be more stringent than Sony. A sony consumer product would not be same as a product designed for industrial use for automotive products. I guess you forget the part where the parts inside of a car are also subjected to harsher weather conditions than stuff that sits on top of a desk, continued vibrations and harsher environments that cause more shock to parts. I think you are missing the point entirely or just not trying to be wrong. :crazy:

Sponsored

KatoS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
So for you tech guys, what's the probability that this can be retrofitted for 15-17MY cars?

Even if you could, would you? The price point would probably be high, right?

Aras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Unless they integrate other features like Navi view into it like Audi does, I really don't see much value for it.

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
Now WHAT would be cool. An open source theme program where people could design their own digital gauges and make them available online to a controlled Ford repository where people can download them using an app and upload them to the dash settings.
Not going to happen. There is a risk of people adding harmful code that could throw off the true measurement of the gauges. Ford can't risk having a bunch of mustangs with inaccurate gauge readings because someone was able to inject some malicious code overriding firmware for the readings.

And I highly doubt ford is taking the time and resources to harden the software behind the gauges.

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
Unless they integrate other features like Navi view into it like Audi does, I really don't see much value for it.
I agree 100%. Also, maybe I'm just weird but I find it disorienting that the gauge layout changes with every mode change. Lots of cars do it but I prefer 1 gauge layout that the user can default to no matter what mode you're in.

And maybe you CAN do that. We'll find out.

Sponsored

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
So for you tech guys, what's the probability that this can be retrofitted for 15-17MY cars?

Even if you could, would you? The price point would probably be high, right?
Someone here already mentioned a good point. Similar to how the apple car play needed a USB module install in 16s, 15-17 won't be able to run the guages without the computing module. Maybe its plug and play where the module is built into the gauge housing and it takes telemetry inputs (rpm, mph, engine stats, etc) just like our normal mechanical gauges and does all the computing within the gauge module itself. If thats the case, we can def install these.

IF they have added all that computational logic in the ECU or whatever other existing vehicle management system, then installing these gauges will be very difficult.

In other words, its hard to tell right now until we get someone to dissect the new gauges to see what we're working with.

KatoS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Someone here already mentioned a good point. Similar to how the apple car play needed a USB module install in 16s, 15-17 won't be able to run the guages without the computing module. Maybe its plug and play where the module is built into the gauge housing and it takes telemetry inputs (rpm, mph, engine stats, etc) just like our normal mechanical gauges and does all the computing within the gauge module itself. If thats the case, we can def install these.

IF they have added all that computational logic in the ECU or whatever other existing vehicle management system, then installing these gauges will be very difficult.

In other words, its hard to tell right now until we get someone to dissect the new gauges to see what we're working with.

That makes perfect sense. Well, I'll be keeping an eye on that for sure. In the meantime, I still need to upgrade my center stack to either SYNC3 or something equivalent. lol.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
What will manuals have in place of the current gear displayed inside the tach? It would be a letdown Ford doesn't add a sensor to display current gear in a manual.

attachment.jpg

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
So are the digital gauges an option or are they the only gauges that will be available? I for one prefer the mechanical analog gauges.
Sponsored