Sponsored

2018 new dash thoughts?

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
New dash is "gee wiz cool" but in reality, once you set a preferred layout, will you ever change it? How much will you be willing to pay and after a year or so, will it be "no big dea!"

Wonder if the standard dash will get a digital speed readout.
Sponsored

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I can only imagine the replacement cost when the screen dies in 10 years or something goes out with a bcm. It is a lot cooler than the old my color dash though

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Eh. It's cool and I'm a techie at heart. Aside from that, it adds no benifit to the car so I would live with or without it. The only damn thing I wish I had right now was a digital MPH in the center. I got use to having it with my last car.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Given the current rate of TV's lifespans, I don't think you have much to worry about with your LED dash going out. I for one embrace technology so I think it's badass. I also like the retro gauges too, but this is the 21st century.

Just look at the Audi A3's cluster. It's the way of the future.

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Sure, the LED's may be fine, but the hardware driving it is the issue. My 5 year old samsung just took a dump on me. However, I have an old LED monitor that is still perfect and my plasma is still going strong.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I can only imagine the replacement cost when the screen dies in 10 years......
I'd bet it would be cheaper and easier to replace that mechanical gauges. At least it should be.

Anyways, as long as the option exists to make the LCD dash look like regular gauges, I'm good with it.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Now WHAT would be cool. An open source theme program where people could design their own digital gauges and make them available online to a controlled Ford repository where people can download them using an app and upload them to the dash settings.

y5e06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT
Sure, the LED's may be fine, but the hardware driving it is the issue. My 5 year old samsung just took a dump on me. However, I have an old LED monitor that is still perfect and my plasma is still going strong.
In absolutely no way are consumer electronics (TV) comparable to the strict quality requirements of the automotive industry. apples to oranges. or apples to rocketship comparison.

I work in the semiconductor industry supplying both automotive and consumer customers.... the difference is vast.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I like it and think that down the road when my interior starts to look dated, if it can be swapped for the LED on then I will.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
......the strict quality requirements of the automotive industry.....
It's Ford dude. Ford.

I can't think of a way (or reason) that the automotive industry's quality requirements would be higher than, say, Sony.....in regards to an LCD dashboard.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
It's Ford dude. Ford.

I can't think of a way (or reason) that the automotive industry's quality requirements would be higher than, say, Sony.....in regards to an LCD dashboard.
Because sitting on a couch and watching a TV is a little less important than sitting in a car seat traveling down a road 70 mph where seeing multiple variables are important and needed. Do you need a dash to drive? No. Do we rely on them in our everyday commutes, yes. So the requirements are probably much higher because it's something we need to rely on.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's Ford dude. Ford.

Well you aren't driving you Sony LED TV down the highway at 80 mph.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
It's Ford dude. Ford.

The automotive industry does indeed have far greater standards than the consumer industry.

I guess the simplistic view would be that Sony only warrants their electronics for 1 year. Ford, 3 years. Or 300% more.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The automotive industry does indeed have far greater standards than the consumer industry.

I guess the simplistic view would be that Sony only warrants their electronics for 1 year. Ford, 3 years. Or 300% more.
Anything other than warranty? LCD TVs last years and years, warranty is no issue, really. And with most electronics, if something is going to go wrong, it goes wrong fast and early. LCD stuff is old and relatively cheap tech now, it's not like the wheel is being re-invented.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
It's Ford dude. Ford.

Sony what, consumer televisions? Commercial sh*t?

These displays have to meet far more stringent concerns for crash safety and functionality than a television or DVD player.
Sponsored