Sponsored

2018 Mustang Convertible Debut

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
Looks good, surprised they didn't have it with the top down (whole reason for vert).

I think this will make a sweet base for the new GT500 Vert!
It's a pre-production vehicle so they keep it locked up.
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Still no remote top and no spoiler for the vert? Looks like my next convertible will not be a Mustang
Hopefully remote top comes in 2020... spoiler, I'd have to guess is an option. Just because this car did not have it, does not mean it is not available... I'm guessing they "must" have that option.

Not sure I'd want the raised spoiler though, I'd have to see it.

To me I don't see a need to operate the top while the car is moving. Everytime I've operated the top the car was parked, stopped, etc. When I start up the car is when I lower it. When I park and before I shut the car, I raise it, simple. Never had the urge to operate it when in motion. It would be like saying, "You know I'd like to be able to open my door while I'm driving." To me it's a safety feature. The only reason I see operating the top while moving is if a pop up rain comes up. In which case wait until the next red light. The top operates so quickly now it's easy.
The present latching system is fine and easy to operate as is. The previous one was inconvenient as you had to reach over the passenger side to get the second latch.
Remote top operation is just going a little too far with extra features.
The tonneau caps really aren't difficult to put in. I really don't use them. Onlu good if you plan on having the top down for a long time. Still not bad. Remember previous Mustangs? The tonneau cover was big and put over the whole folded top.
I have a lot of times I'd like to operate the car when moving... I live in the city so having a top that operates up to 30 mph would keep me moving instead of looking for a place to pull over (which I consider a security risk at times).

Also, for this to work, it would need to be "one button" that you don't have to hold down and "no latches".

Our Tanneau covers suck... and you should use them, but I don't either. That is the point, we have dust and dirt going places it should not. Plus, when I'm traveling and have bags in the trunk, I don't have room for those covers (or don't want to create room and risk damage to them).

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Hopefully remote top comes in 2020... spoiler, I'd have to guess is an option. Just because this car did not have it, does not mean it is not available... I'm guessing they "must" have that option.

Not sure I'd want the raised spoiler though, I'd have to see it.
It's absolutely ridiculous, even the Camaro got rid of the convertible latch already YEARS ago

I have a lot of times I'd like to operate the car when moving... I live in the city so having a top that operates up to 30 mph would keep me moving instead of looking for a place to pull over (which I consider a security risk at times).

Also, for this to work, it would need to be "one button" that you don't have to hold down and "no latches".

Our Tanneau covers suck... and you should use them, but I don't either. That is the point, we have dust and dirt going places it should not. Plus, when I'm traveling and have bags in the trunk, I don't have room for those covers (or don't want to create room and risk damage to them).
+1, in the city, starting from a red light, in traffic, SO MANY times I would have LOVED to have the ability to operate my top. Maybe Topless just doesn't drive enough to notice :D

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Same here, re: top up/down while moving. Even a _little_ speed, so you could roll up to a light and get things moving.

The S2K I owned had two top operation "locks", 1) speed, and 2) parking brake up - there was a super simple bypass for the speed (simple/reversible change of one wire). So you retained the parking brake lock but you could click it up a couple of notches and deactive the lock.

Anyway, it was super handy, I never tried it at much more than maybe 10MPH.

(To be honest, I'd bypass the movement lock in the GT too, just never seen anyone try it ...)

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
pics i took from sc auto show

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
pics i took from sc auto show
How hard to you think it will be to clean bugs/insects from the light bottoms?

From the pics, looks like a good place for them to go and die when I'm going down the country road at 190 mph, dodging deer.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
How hard to you think it will be to clean bugs/insects from the light bottoms?

From the pics, looks like a good place for them to go and die when I'm going down the country road at 190 mph, dodging deer.
Don't worry about the bugs, the deer guts will hide the bugs.:lol:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
it's big enough to get your hands under the lights. no worries.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Nope. Another convertible ruined with a cheap looking cloth top with polygon angles. Those wheels looking pretty terrible too.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Nope. Another convertible ruined with a cheap looking cloth top with polygon angles. Those wheels looking pretty terrible too.
If the top is like the 2015, it is good... not cheap at all.

Of course, if you drive 120k vert cars, then I could see you saying that...

Walk around at the 2 min mark
What is with people driving down the road doing a youtube video? I see that more and more now. Must be the "cool thing"...

speedrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
The vert cloth tops are actually high quality and seal very well, you could do a hardtop convertible but it does add weight and you lose storage. I rarely put my top up anyway and can store my golf clubs in the trunk with the top down with no problem.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
The vert cloth tops are actually high quality and seal very well, you could do a hardtop convertible but it does add weight and you lose storage. I rarely put my top up anyway and can store my golf clubs in the trunk with the top down with no problem.
+1
I use to be a huge hardtop fan, which is why I cross shopped with the BMW convertible so much, but being able to raise and lower in 10 seconds flat and fitting a whole month of groceries in the trunk has really changed my mind. Plus I've blown a few people's mind, because my black on black on black blended in so well and they didn't know it was a convertible until everything started transforming.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
If the top is like the 2015, it is good... not cheap at all.

Of course, if you drive 120k vert cars, then I could see you saying that...

What is with people driving down the road doing a youtube video? I see that more and more now. Must be the "cool thing"...
Let me rephrase. I didn't mean cheap in quality. I just feel like it makes the car look cheap. I'm just being sour because I always want a convertible but just never end up liking how they look with cloth tops.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
In the summer with the top down I can't see my NAV screen. How is it going to work with that fancy new gauge cluster?

"Officer I honestly have no idea what my speed was. Haven't been able to tell since noon."
Sponsored