Sponsored

Flatout Gt350 journal

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
It is finally happening. I am ecstatic beyond words and I wanted to share this news with you guys. This forum played a big part in my decision, hence my long post (length disclaimer). I have been a certified gearhead since I was a child. Growing up I had my toy cars and pictures of cars in my room. I remember, when I was 12, I used to call the automotive companies and tell them I am buying a car, so they will send over free brochures to me. Yes I am a bit obsessed(Fyi, this was before the internet) Then at the great age of 16, I got my driverā€™s license. It was pivotal change in my life. These objects that I have marveled over, I can legally drive them. Just mind blown...

Over the years I had a wide array of cars. However, I had to take a few years away from performance cars (10 years) to focus on competing priorities. During this time, I tried to mask my feelings/emotions regarding high performance cars and enthusiastic driving by watching hours of YouTube videos, spending time on the forums to fulfill the void. I always had a list of cars on my mind at all times. Really, I mean ALL THE TIME, it could be a sickness. I can officially say hiding it only made it worse. In the end of 2015, I decide to embrace this disease. Made the decision that I need a sports car /high performance car. My initial timeline was in 3-4 years. I started browsing for a non-daily car. My list is as follows:
ā€¢ A blast to drive
ā€¢ Car that can handles
ā€¢ Track focused, nothing crazy, depending on my schedule (2-3 sessions a year, I live in the north-east so 2-3 sessions in season)
ā€¢ Ageless lines
ā€¢ Need a back seat. I have 2 kids and as a father I would love to introduce them into this world
ā€¢ Had a preference for naturally aspirated( had an modified STI years ago, while fun, got tired of the power delivery)
ā€¢ That ā€œitā€ feeling. Car needs a soul. As humans are always drawn towards the intangible experience. There is always going to be something faster, but will it give you that grin, that feeling of ā€œman this is worth itā€?Or is it going to just going to give you that ā€œinstaā€ feeling and leave you empty
Started my shopping:
My first option was the F80 BMW M3, always been a fan of the lineage with E30 & the E46, so that would be the obvious option. I specd out what I wanted. While this as a forced induced car, I felt I could put that behind me. It was during this time, the press on the GT350 started hitting all the feeds and perked my interest. However, I was not ready to change my mind. I had my mind set on either a Yas marina or Silverstone F80 M3.

A couple weeks later, a buddy of mine took a pic of an F80 M3 sitting right next to a GT350 at a cars and coffee. Well... that sealed the deal. At this time I decide to tighten my timeline of 3-4 years. As the years pass I am only aging, I are not getting quicker and life is short. What am I waiting for? Thank God I have a very supportive wife that understood and she was on board. Personally, I was not ready to pull the trigger yet. There were a few personal things I had to take care of first and needed a few more months before buying the car. I figured during this time I can spec out what i wanted. I was torn with what color. Initially thought I want Race Red with No Stripes, a couple of week later Grabber blue with black stripe, switched that to White with Blue stripes, then to Lightning Blue with white stripes, that change that to Avalanche grey with white stripe... as you can imagine, all over the place

It was December of 2016, still no decision made, I started to ponder about Porsche. Yes.. I knowā€¦ stick with me here. Always loved the GT3 since its inception. I knew for me financially, getting a 997 GT3 would be a squeeze and no back seats was a deal breaker. However my thought was, why not consider a 997 Carrera S? This led to a Carrera S for a test drive. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was very refined loved the steering and shifter. It was very precise. I loved how nimble it felt. It evoked all of the intangible feelings, decided to make the switch again. Started my research, knew the obvious about higher operating cost. However, there was something in me saying, its not it. This led to me creating bpr/workflow diagram of my needs/wants (first world needs) in a car. The end product with the list of the cars I am consider. All of the results indicated a GT3(if I picked 2 seats) and GT350 (more than 2 seats).

Finally, before Christmas, my mind was made up. GT350 or bust.:headbang: Now the hard part, color, options and I donā€™t want to pay over sticker. After months and months of deliberation, mind made up 2017 Grabber Blue with white stripe with base option. This is not a daily, I did not see the benefits for me to get the electronics package. I would rather use that money towards my Xpel wrap and tires. Never have enough money for tires.
I have been watching one with these same specifications on cars.com. This dealer was charging 3k over sticker and they have had the car since early November.

Jan 9th Dealer dropped their price to $600 under sticker. The wife and I touched base and decided to make moves. Dealer, so far, was excellent to deal with. It was all done via phone, email, and text message. Dealership is 4.5 hours away and they offered to ship the car for a really good price. I should get delivery of the car in a couple weeks, just trying to hold my excitement down and trying very hard not to think about it. In the meantime have watched every GT350 video on YouTube video like a 100 times. The dealer sent some pics, see below. I hope to keep this journal up to date. Wanted to say thank you to the forum:cheers:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
You have 5w50 pumping through your veins. She's a beaut. Congrats on the car and hang on to that wife! Have you driven one? You won't be disappointed in your decision.

OP
OP

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You have 5w50 pumping through your veins. She's a beaut. Congrats on the car and hang on to that wife! Have you driven one? You won't be disappointed in your decision.
Yes, blessed with a great wife. I have not driven a GT350, this makes this whole decision so much more complicated.

LindsayEOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Nice story man. I think you will find a lot of enthusiasts, similar to yourself, on this forum who are more than willing to help when questions come up.

Congrats and make sure to post photos when it arrives.

jakermc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wonderful post! I just grabbed a GT350 last week and also have a GT3 in the garage. I'm a die hard Porsche guy, but might have to admit the GT350 is more fun on the street. There is something about the engine that just begs you to drop down a gear or two and play. :) I'm still in the honeymoon phase so will see how things change in 6 months, but right now I could not be more thrilled about the purchase!

One bit of advice, drive the car back instead of shipping. I drove mine from Baton Rouge to S. Florida. 2 hours the first night and 9 the next day. Loved every minute and give you time to get to know the new family member. 4.5 hours in your case is just 1/2 day drive - easy! All but one of my cars I flew out and drove back. It becomes part of the adventure and ownership experience.

Sponsored

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
Nice write up and awesome color

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I know all too well the sickness that you speak of, I've been suffering with it for years, but it is a sickness I would never want to cure :D

Beautiful car, grabber blue and white stripes looks stunning. You won't regret your choice :thumbsup:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, blessed with a great wife. I have not driven a GT350, this makes this whole decision so much more complicated.
I bought mine without driving it. Deep down, you know what you are getting. If you can get past the fit and finish, it is one of the greatest cars to come along in a long time.

I'm sure you know that. You have a lot of reading to do.

iancoletx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT350
I bought mine without driving it. Deep down, you know what you are getting. If you can get past the fit and finish, it is one of the greatest cars to come along in a long time.

I'm sure you know that. You have a lot of reading to do.
I bought mine site unseen, 2017 Lightning Blue, and have been nothing but impressed with it. No fit issues or any issues at all.

Congrats OP and welcome!

Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Nice story, you made the right decision.

Welcome to the club! Congrats and enjoy! :cheers:

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Wonderful post! I just grabbed a GT350 last week and also have a GT3 in the garage. I'm a die hard Porsche guy, but might have to admit the GT350 is more fun on the street. There is something about the engine that just begs you to drop down a gear or two and play. :) I'm still in the honeymoon phase so will see how things change in 6 months, but right now I could not be more thrilled about the purchase!

One bit of advice, drive the car back instead of shipping. I drove mine from Baton Rouge to S. Florida. 2 hours the first night and 9 the next day. Loved every minute and give you time to get to know the new family member. 4.5 hours in your case is just 1/2 day drive - easy! All but one of my cars I flew out and drove back. It becomes part of the adventure and ownership experience.
Like jakermc said.. drive it back!! I would get it wrapped first or put on some track wrap. Nice car congrats!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I love reading stories like these, always fun to read!

Congratulations on your car, if it was just a 4-5hr drive, I'd definitely do that. Just make sure to keep a safe distance from any cars ahead of you. That's what I had to do before I got Xpel on the car about a month after I received mine.

Btw, SJ = San Jose?

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Congrats. Car looks great. Don't forget to take advantage of Track Attack!

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 Ruby red GT350
That is one great story, welcome and congrats on the awesome GT350.
Sponsored