Sponsored

Stock airbox, is it worth anything?

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
I had my Ford Performance intake and tune installed recently, and now I have the stock airbox taking up space in my storage unit. Is it worth anything? Any reason to keep it?
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Maybe if your car was totaled and you purchased another ecoboost...

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
I'm actually about to put my stock intake back on and get rid of my full race. A few tuners have done R&D and show the stock airbox is better than an aftermarket.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
^^^^ what he said.
The stock airbox with a better filter has been shown to flow better and cooler than aftermarket.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
1. Ford's stock Air intake has been data'ed to be better than most after market units.

2. Do not get rid of any original parts from your car, you will regret it later.

TC

Sponsored

OP
OP
xraystyle

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^^ what he said.
The stock airbox with a better filter has been shown to flow better and cooler than aftermarket.
I keep hearing this. Anyone have a link to a post with some hard data to support it?

Also, is the Ford Performance tune specifically paired to the GT350 intake that comes with it, or would it run as well or better with the stock intake? Is there data to support this assertion either way?

As for getting rid of stock parts, I really don't have the luxury of space to keep crap lying around that I'm not using. If there's really no reason to reinstall this thing in my own car it's gonna go away.

JonD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
With the FP Tune I'm using the stock air box with the MIT pipe and Green Filter.
No reason to suck in all that hot air unless you're going big turbo with a full 3"-4" intake after reading so many posts. Also having the stock FMIC for now locks up that decision for me

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Stock airbox is the optimal setup, one thing Ford got right.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Any Dyno proof or any actual numbers of the stock airbox being such a massive improvement? I've only read the people with the Seat of the Pants improvements along with the claims of IAT's that were vastly improved and no heat soak. I tried it myself going from FFTec CAI to stock a while back. I felt no difference at all, saw no difference in logs, and no difference in inlet air temps. The stock box even heat soaks when sitting in traffic just like the aftermarket unit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
xraystyle

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried it myself going from FFTec CAI to stock a while back. I felt no difference at all, saw no difference in logs, and no difference in inlet air temps. The stock box even heat soaks when sitting in traffic just like the aftermarket unit.
You monitoring your intake temps? I'd also like to see some airflow numbers. Not sure if anyone has actually measured CFM or anything like that.

I keep seeing posts referencing this idea that the stock airbox produces better results than aftermarket, but I've yet to find or see any hard data, e.g. CFM measurements, air temps, A-B dyno results, etc.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Logging the inlet air temp and a bunch of other things as well. it was probably almost a year ago when I tried it. I have a Vargas passenger side intake that I'll be installing this weekend so I'll see if there is any difference there.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Any Dyno proof or any actual numbers of the stock airbox being such a massive improvement? I've only read the people with the Seat of the Pants improvements along with the claims of IAT's that were vastly improved and no heat soak. I tried it myself going from FFTec CAI to stock a while back. I felt no difference at all, saw no difference in logs, and no difference in inlet air temps. The stock box even heat soaks when sitting in traffic just like the aftermarket unit.
Yes there is proof. You just need to look. I remember most of it.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Probably another case of someone hearing it from another person and spreading on the forums like gospel

In for results, if there are any...

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Just contact Adam at Tune+. He is one those running with the stock box.
Also some of the highest horsepower ecoboost mustangs are still stock box.
Sponsored