Sponsored

CEL P0313 - Misfire with low fuel

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Anyone experience this? Cars missing like crazy and running very tough. I'm assuming it's because the tanks almost at e with the gas light on but I'm not sure and I'm worried. I'll report back after filling the tank for record keeping.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I've had mine down to about 0.5 gallons and no issues. Of course when I was that that low, I was super easy on the pedal trying to get to a gas station.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
I've had mine down to about 0.5 gallons and no issues. Of course when I was that that low, I was super easy on the pedal trying to get to a gas station.
Filled the tank. No help there. Check engine light actually turned on finally it had been off and misfiring for the last 10 miles of the tank (was super late when this started happening on my way home last night with no stations open).

Check engine light is blinking now.

Someone offer some advice please. And not "bring it in to ford" because I know that already. Worried their gonna try to blame the tune and not cover any repair tbh.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The very first thing would be to check the plugs. How do they look?

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
The very first thing would be to check the plugs. How do they look?
Attached below in order cylinders 1,2,3,4 plugs. 2 and 3 clearly arent firing and seem to be coated in oil. the issue becomes why. also note that cylinder 3 has white pieces on the threads. not sure what it is. hopefully not engine shavings, but again theyre white not metallic. i'm not sure what to do. just change to the denso cold stepped plugs and hope for the best???
cyl1.jpg
cyl2.jpg
cyl3.jpg
cyl4.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
very helpful, thanks! lol :headbonk:
dont know what you want to hear. More than likely with the amount of oil on them you have bad rings letting the oil bypass or you had a tune that was LEAN LEAN LEAN and have now melted a hold in your pistons. I would guess, unless you have 300,000 miles on the engine that either A the tune was way too lean or B you tried reving it to the stratosphere and killed it.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
dont know what you want to hear. More than likely with the amount of oil on them you have bad rings letting the oil bypass or you had a tune that was LEAN LEAN LEAN and have now melted a hold in your pistons. I would guess, unless you have 300,000 miles on the engine that either A the tune was way too lean or B you tried reving it to the stratosphere and killed it.
I'd like to assume adam didnt overlean my tune. we went through several revisions and everything was working great until just a couple days ago when this happened.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Next step is do a compression test on all 4 cylinders. That's a lot of oil...

Then a Leak down test

Those flecks on cyl 3 are scary...

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Next step is do a compression test on all 4 cylinders. That's a lot of oil...

Then a Leak down test

Those flecks on cyl 3 are scary...
I KNOW :'( I'm very concerned. Most likely going to go back to stock, uninstalling the accessport and bringing it in for warranty. scared.

I dont know how to do a leak down test.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I KNOW :'( I'm very concerned. Most likely going to go back to stock, uninstalling the accessport and bringing it in for warranty. scared.

I dont know how to do a leak down test.
If you aren't very familiar with the tests, I would do as you mentioned. Take it in and have Ford look at it. If you don't really understand the tests and do them wrong, the results will confuse more than answer. Anyway it's in bad shape and will need attention.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
If you aren't very familiar with the tests, I would do as you mentioned. Take it in and have Ford look at it. If you don't really understand the tests and do them wrong, the results will confuse more than answer. Anyway it's in bad shape and will need attention.
well nevertheless my brother would be doing the tests for me. hes certifried mechanic. im only decent with my hands cause i learn from him as i go.

zero chance of warranty if i dont uninstall EVERYTHING right?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Filled the tank. No help there. Check engine light actually turned on finally it had been off and misfiring for the last 10 miles of the tank (was super late when this started happening on my way home last night with no stations open).

Check engine light is blinking now.

Someone offer some advice please. And not "bring it in to ford" because I know that already. Worried their gonna try to blame the tune and not cover any repair tbh.
Just for future reference,when ever the check light blinks thats warning u that u could be doing damage to your engine.Most likely lean condition causing convertor damage.Hope everything turns out ok brother,thats a bad feeling.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Just for future reference,when ever the check light blinks thats warning u that u could be doing damage to your engine.Most likely lean condition causing convertor damage.Hope everything turns out ok brother,thats a bad feeling.
Thats one of the strange parts of it. The check engine light didnt come on while it was misfiring at all. I had to scan the DTC with the accessport in order to get anything. Once i had it parked is when it started blinking. I'm like "yeah thanks CEL, i noticed a while ago."
Sponsored