Thinking about a Mustang

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I'd recommend getting the V6 as your wife's daily driver. Only if you can get a CPO 15-16 with the 051A package which gives it 18" wheels, power seat, and fog lamps. Being NA you get 300HP and 280lbft of torque and you can use regular gas while still getting almost 30MPG on the highway. Aftermarkets the same unless you're talking engine mods. It's a great car with a lot of potential but most of all it SOUNDS incredible and very close to the V8.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Any particular reason you are not considering a V6?
Do they still offer the V6 ?

I'd take that over the Ecoboost. A little less HP but it sounds so much better then the EB IMO and still plenty fast. Faster than my old Hot Rods back in the day.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Do they still offer the V6 ?

I'd take that over the Ecoboost. A little less HP but it sounds so much better then the EB IMO and still plenty fast. Faster than my old Hot Rods back in the day.
They do but the 051A package is only offered in the convertible. I'm saying they should get a CPO 15-16 which would most likely have that package.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
One thing to keep in mind when test driving the EB from a dealership, they will probably have 87 octane which limits the HP to around 260. With 93 octane you are getting the full 310/320 so the test drive may feel a bit sluggish in the EB.

OP
OP

thenextcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE YET!
First off Thank You for all the replies, help and advice. Whether we buy a mustang or not this has been one of the most helpful and respectful forum/community I have been on.

She defiantly wants a "sports car" feel. Thats really the only reason we didn't consider the v6. We figured the v8 or the eco boost would be more fun to drive. Were we wrong in not considering this? Also we both like mods or at lease have the potential to mod the vehicle after paying it off. I mean engine and drive train mods not looks.

One thing that got brought up was the type of fuel. Dose the Eco boost need premium to drive or just to meet the advertised performance? This would be something to think about, even if does get better MPG it would cost more to fill it.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
First off Thank You for all the replies, help and advice. Whether we buy a mustang or not this has been one of the most helpful and respectful forum/community I have been on.

She defiantly wants a "sports car" feel. Thats really the only reason we didn't consider the v6. We figured the v8 or the eco boost would be more fun to drive. Were we wrong in not considering this? Also we both like mods or at lease have the potential to mod the vehicle after paying it off. I mean engine and drive train mods not looks.

One thing that got brought up was the type of fuel. Dose the Eco boost need premium to drive or just to meet the advertised performance? This would be something to think about, even if does get better MPG it would cost more to fill it.
The V6 is a lot of fun to drive especially as it's a normally aspirated car. Not saying the Eco isn't, but the reason I bought the V6 was primarily the sound, the pull of the engine and the smoothness. A plus is the regular gas thing as you need to use premium to get the HP from the Eco engine. So while I have nothing against those who choose the Eco-Boost, I think the V6 is overall the better choice for someone who wants the sound and feel of the V8 but can't afford it. You can also mod the engine but it can be a bit more costly than the Eco, however there's tunes and parts that don't cost too much and most of the things you would want to do you can do. I'd drive both and see what you think. That's all I'm saying. Give the V6 a chance :)

OP
OP

thenextcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE YET!
So your saying don't sleep on the v6 huh? I guess we shouldn't close any doors. I think we will probably go drive a few all 3 engines and decide from there.

So is anything different between the engines? Like tranny,rear end, brakes, gears,....ect?

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Both EB and GT need 91 (or maybe it is 93) to meet advertised power. Both can use 87. The GT only loses a few ponies with 87, whereas the loss with the EB is quite significant - I believe in the neighborhood of 10-15% loss

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
So your saying don't sleep on the v6 huh? I guess we shouldn't close any doors. I think we will probably go drive a few all 3 engines and decide from there.

So is anything different between the engines? Like tranny,rear end, brakes, gears,....ect?
Depends on how you want to load up the car. Not many options are/were available with the v6. You can forget about the premium trim level. So no 8 inch center console display, no dual zone climate control, no heated/cooled seats etc.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)

Yeah, definitely don't overlook the V6. The V6 is the "entry car" so it doesn't have the same kind of equipment upgrades that the others have although you can get 3.55 gears. The EB and GT have premium and performance packages with bigger brakes, gear ratios, leather interior and premium sound/sync systems. Plus different wheel options in the 19-20" range. All this upgrades have a price tag, so if cost is a concern the V6 is the better bet. You can still get bigger brakes/wheels, some performance mods and even a leather interior from aftermarket and it would still come out to cost less than a similarly equipped Eco-boost. Glad you're keeping an open mind and here's a shot of my car just so you can see that even small exterior mods can make a difference in how the car looks- although I know you want to do more mods under the hood.
IMG_0037.JPG

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
If luxury bits are important to you, you wont find them in the V6 unfortunately. EB runs fine on 87. Also, some find insurance can be quite a bit cheaper on the V6/Eco over the GT. Might call your agent and get a feel for that also.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Depends on how you want to load up the car. Not many options are/were available with the v6. You can forget about the premium trim level. So no 8 inch center console display, no dual zone climate control, no heated/cooled seats etc.
If you look on the forums you'll see there are upgrades for the stereo, as well as steering wheels and leather. There's performance upgrades from tunes, CAI's, headers and exhausts, to super chargers and turbos that are available.
Sponsored