Sponsored

Simple mods question

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
Searched quite a bit and still have a few questions.

I run my car pretty quiet and stock'ish configuration. I'm one of those that doesn't want to get it loud and would prefer the sleeper kind of direction.

Right now, I'm pretty much tune only (Livernois) with a decent set of rubber. I would like a little more juice in the pedal but still keep the risks down some. So, I was kind of thinking IC or downpipes (offroad version).

I feel the IC would be a better route for safety and healthiness of the motor but I haven't read, through all the searching, how much performance gains there are in real world. I read about intake temps and all that looks good but with a tune update, does this also warrant a decent increase in power to the ground as well and how much?

Is there more gain to the wheels with downpipes vs the IC?

:cheers:
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Intercooler. Absolutely needed with a tune. Especially in Arizona.
Downpipe won't do much for power, will just make noise.

OP
OP
sredish

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
yea, was just looking at the levels IC. how much gains would be expected with an updated tune?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
yea, was just looking at the levels IC. how much gains would be expected with an updated tune?
It's not so much as power gains, but it would let you realize the full potential for your tune and set you up for future mods.
Google " ecoboost intercooler heat soak"

Sponsored

OP
OP
sredish

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost

JonD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Going cp-e after all the reviews and info about it being OEM fitment with no lasting modifications needed ;0)

If I was going all out I'd swing by Full-Race in Phoenix and get a race FMIC with that beautiful 3" TurboBack exhaust! Man it sounds amazing

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I don't understand when people say the FMIC will make power. It won't, but it'll keep the power longer and help against heatsoak

JonD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
I don't understand when people say the FMIC will make power. It won't, but it'll keep the power longer and help against heatsoak
Aftermarket Intercoolers will always be a benefit so no point in debating HP numbers since it will always vary
My SRT picked up HP #'s on the Dyno from the AGP Race FMIC so :shrug:

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Aftermarket Intercoolers will always be a benefit so no point in debating HP numbers since it will always vary
My SRT picked up HP #'s on the Dyno from the AGP Race FMIC so :shrug:
It's a supporting mod and I think that's the best way to define it

JonD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Agreed, it truly helps in a state like AZ

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
After market ic's use higher quality cores which are move air more efficiently through them causing less boost loss which works the turbo less to produce the same boost levels at the throttle body. less work by the turbo means less heat and more overall power.

So let's say you are running a stock ic and the ecu demands 20 psi which it reads post throttle body. The turbo actually has to produce 26psi at the turbos outlet to overcome a 6psi boost loss through the ic.

Take the same scenario with a more efficient ic and the turbo will have to produce 22psi at the outlet to hit the same 20 psi boost target at the throttle body. That 4 psi less boost at the turbo outlet means less heat and more overall power without changing boost levels at the throttle body with no other changes made.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
After market ic's use higher quality cores which are move air more efficiently through them causing less boost loss which works the turbo less to produce the same boost levels at the throttle body. less work by the turbo means less heat and more overall power.

So let's say you are running a stock ic and the ecu demands 20 psi which it reads post throttle body. The turbo actually has to produce 26psi at the turbos outlet to overcome a 6psi boost loss through the ic.

Take the same scenario with a more efficient ic and the turbo will have to produce 22psi at the outlet to hit the same 20 psi boost target at the throttle body. That 4 psi less boost at the turbo outlet means less heat and more overall power without changing boost levels at the throttle body with no other changes made.
Great point, and another would be that when the stock intercooler is heat soaked to 150 degrees or whatever the # may be after a pull, and the better aftermarket intercooler is only heat soaked to 80 degrees or whatever that number may be after a pull, the ECU will usually see much less knock and then add more timing when you get back on the throttle.
I tell people to get the best and biggest intercooler they can afford, that part will be with you for the rest of your cars life, dont let that extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars keep you from buying the best. You want something that cools well, as PewterCam stated , has low pressure drop, and also one that dissipates heat well.

MagneticEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Have the CP-E intercooler for myself and it definitely is a big improvement over the stock cooler. If the car is stock the biggest benefits of the intercooler would be at the upper end of the rev range 4500-6500 RPM where the stock IC gets heatsoaked instantly, if you look up the CP-E intercooler thread someone dyno'ed the car before and after CP-E intercooler and picked up considerable power over the stock unit between 4500-6500 RPM. When Tuned, the tuner can use the superior performance of the new intercooler for more aggressive timing, thus picking up power over the stock unit.

If you are going for safety I'd buy a catch can before anything else, not only does it prevent oil build up in the valves keeping the engine cleaner, it also helps prevent engine knock by stopping oil mix up with the air and lowering the octane level of the fuel in the combustion chamber.

The benefits also depend on the use, if you are just using for a daily driver and occasional joy rides, may not be worth it. If you are doing pulls every weekend at the local drag-strip or doing autocross/track time, you will definitely notice it. Or be like me and do it just for the peace of mind and the added performance is a plus.
Sponsored