Sponsored

Quality control on these mustangs

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
I love my mustang but is it normal to have so many issue with only months of ownership?

2016 mustang v6:
Check engine light and misfiring
Passenger mirror didn't move(Wire issue)
Torn quarter window seal
Transmission pinging/clunk noise when when going from park to reverse or drive
Bad throttle body

2016 mustang gt:
Deformed weather stripping
Torn quarter window seal
Cracked seam at windshield allowing water to leak in car on passenger side
Bottom half of the passenger door doesn't close all the way.

Two brand new cars yet so many issues.

The quarter window seal seems pretty commen as I walked around the dealership and noticed more mustangs had this.

My v6 stang:
igwyth.jpg

My v8 stang:
2j2f521.jpg

EDIT: Added more to the v6 section that I forgot about
Sponsored

Last edited:

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
I love my mustang but is it normal to have so many issue with only months of ownership?

2016 mustang v6:
Torn quarter window seal
Bad throttle body

2016 mustang gt:
Deformed weather stripping
Torn quarter window seal
Cracked seam at windshield allowing water to leak in car on passenger side
Bottom half of the passenger door doesn't close all the way.

Two brand new cars yet so many issues.

The quarter window seal seems pretty commen as I walked around the dealership and noticed more mustangs had this.

My v6 stang:
igwyth.jpg

My v8 stang:
2j2f521.jpg
You need to run both of them back to the dealer ASAP.

It seems to me that there is a combination of problems here; the dealer and the quality control side of Ford.

Should you not be satisfied, PM Deysha at Ford Service (she monitors these forums) http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/member.php?u=7992

RJ

OP
OP

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
You need to run both of them back to the dealer ASAP.

It seems to me that there is a combination of problems here; the dealer and the quality control side of Ford.

Should you not be satisfied, PM Deysha at Ford Service (she monitors these forums) http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/member.php?u=7992

RJ
The v6 was traded in for the 5.0 and I have been taking it to the dealer ever time an issue pops up. No car loaners or paid rentals unless you have the extended warranty plan. Very annoying as this is something you shouldn't expect from brand new cars along with rental money coming out of your own pocket.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
The v6 was traded in for the 5.0 and I have been taking it to the dealer ever time an issue pops up. No car loaners or paid rentals unless you have the extended warranty plan. Very annoying as this is something you shouldn't expect from brand new cars along with rental money coming out of your own pocket.
Get a hold of Deysha right away.

RJ

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have similar issue but less noticeable. Dealer said glass would have to be pulled, new molding provided and put back. Other mustangs on lot had same issue. I don't want my car pulled apart and will likely suggest with feedback from Ford to tuck silicone or suitable sealent behind molding to secure it flush to metal. Once cured issue would be resolved. It is interesting at this location molding seems to rise up to meet molding at door (same on drivers side too but less severe. Drivers side is tight).

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would have hoped that Ford would have identified and made running fixes for this kind of thing by now, that we are in the 3rd model year of this platform. I'm kind of bummed that I still read about so many issues in 2016 and 2017 cars, especially the following which keep coming up:

1. Air conditioning failures (AC evaporator)
2. Paint & body fit and finish
3. Ventilated seats not cooling
4. Mystery vibration at highway speed
5. Leading edge hood corrosion/paint bubbling

Some of these issues (hood) even go back to previous generations. I've been happy with my 2011, but I hope Ford doesn't backslide on quality.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
They already have backslided on quality. what sux is its only the mustang. I had a 2015 focus st and it had none of the issues these s-550's are showing?

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
My car came from the factory with the following issues:

-Both passenger and driver doors misaligned, passenger door being ridiculously misaligned
(Fixed)
-Insane rattles from the passenger side tail light (still unfixed)
-Hood had 2 paint chips that were very visible (fixed)
-Anytime I exceed speed over 90mph driver side window whistles (service dep was unable to fix it completely)

A few weeks ago I had tints put on and discovered the dealership broke 3 clips in my passenger side door plastic panel and had glued the panel instead or replacing the clips.

I also once brought the car in for oil change and alignment, they didn’t do the alignment and I caught them lying because they told me the car was on the ramps getting the alignment when it was in the parking lot.

Ford has horrible QC on the mustang and in my personal experience even worse service. The tech working on my car didn’t know that 4cyl mustang existed. I immediately asked for another tech and asked to always be in the garage when my car is being serviced, I have zero trust with the service at least that is my dealership but I heard so many stories here on the forum about the service department messing up their car

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
My 2016 GTPP Vert had multiple body issues that were clearly passed by QA. Ford agreed to repair it and after 8 days in the shop it was worse, long story short, the dealer ordered me a 2017. Got it in July and there are still body issues with this one but its better than the 2016. Surprising that Ford is updating the body style when they should be improving workmanship on what is currently being built first. Result = last new ford I will ever own is sitting in my garage.

Sponsored

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
After reading about all the QC issues on these cars, I guess I just got lucky. My driver door is a very tiny but misaligned, but you would have to be looking for it to notice it. I don't think I'll bother mentioning it to the dealer. I've seen photos of S550s everywhere with poorly-fitting hoods that were very noticeable, so I was expecting mine to have the same problem, but it fits perfectly. It's very hit-or-miss.

The OP's problem is completely unacceptable, and being able to spot others on the lot with the same problem says volumes about Ford's QC. Shame on them for releasing cars looking like that.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I would have hoped that Ford would have identified and made running fixes for this kind of thing by now, that we are in the 3rd model year of this platform. I'm kind of bummed that I still read about so many issues in 2016 and 2017 cars, especially the following which keep coming up:

1. Air conditioning failures (AC evaporator)
2. Paint & body fit and finish
3. Ventilated seats not cooling
4. Mystery vibration at highway speed
5. Leading edge hood corrosion/paint bubbling

Some of these issues (hood) even go back to previous generations. I've been happy with my 2011, but I hope Ford doesn't backslide on quality.
I've already had my AC compressor replaced at 17000 miles. I've had issues with paint and with the body fitting together poorly. I've had issues with the trim along the headliner not actually covering the headliner. Issues with Navigation. Issues with rattling.

Hell, my car was ordered, then delivered with dents on the passenger door and roof!

Quality control is completely lost at Ford, it seems.

JR

badass03ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2003 GT 'vert, 1973 Fastback
Maybe Trump??

I decided to reply to this thread after reading everyone else's issues and seeing some of the ones I have repeated here.

'15 GT - Ordered July '14, delivered Jan '15. Less than 25K on car. Regularly washed and waxed, garaged, etc...

1) Both door mirrors would take off on their own, go to their limit, and sit there with the servo continuing to run and popping the gears.
2) Backup camera cutting off.
3) Major corrosion on inside of trunk decklid.

Car was at dealership, are you ready, for a month!! They "fixed" the camera, completely replaced and repainted the trunk, and couldn't get the mirrors to malfunction. "Fixed" - camera zoom is now disabled, trunk lid took three tries to get one in, undamaged, from Ford (they blamed the courier), and side mirrors still malfunction 4 - 6 times a day!!:frusty:, but the dealership couldn't get them to fault in a month...BS!!

Last week, I found corrosion, bubbled paint, and a cracked seal on the leading edge of the hood, above the passenger headlight. So, imagine this, I am pissed off and email Ford. Their reply, it won't be covered if it's normal wear and tear... Gee, do you hear what that says? "Sir, that is the result of a rock chip..." When they try to pull that, I do believe I shall seek legal representation as I am not worried about the hood now, I'm worried about the whole damn thing rusting out around me. What a POS! I have taken photos and videos that clearly show that there are no paint chips or other problems with the integrity of the paint, other than the cracked seal. I am so let down by Ford. This may be my last. Currently, two Mustangs, '15 Explorer, and '11 Fusion in the driveway and I am telling people to run the other way!! I'm not even excited by the car anymore and don't mess with Chevies or rice because I don't believe in the company anymore. Maybe President Trump should make them produce quality vehicles while he's at it, because he can make them all build them in the US, but if they continue to use cheap, foreign steel, the market won't change and people will still be willing to pay a little more for foreign that is of better quality and will last longer. At this point in my life, I can reasonably afford around $2500 a month for a car payment. I hear that will buy a pretty nice ride from a QUALITY European manufacturer.

FORD - WHERE QUALITY USED TO BE JOB 1!

I hope Henry is rolling over in his grave....

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Wow you got really bad one. You do realize most are not experiencing what you have. Most are dealing with minor issues here and there. Sorry for your mishaps! I think yours is the worst ive heard to date!

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Paint issues are extremely hard to nail down with for warranty purposes. Aside from the day you purchase it, any normal minded individual will see a chip or paint issue as something that occurred due to wear and tear. Unless the cars in a bubble, I don't blame Ford for being apprehensive about it. With that said, I do understand where you're coming from and demanding it be fixed right the first time. It's very hit or miss with dealerships. So far I've been lucky with my car.
Sponsored