Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
oh thats not bad. i really needa get myself a pair of the steeda jacking rails before i do this though haha. what was your install time roughly?
Happy to help you with a set of Steeda jacking rails :)

You can email me at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
yes coming in middle of february....will retrofit to any race spec going back to 2015

George

I'll be waiting for the flat stick! Can't wait to see pics in a car from a little further out with a stubby gripper knob(hint, hint).

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
thats amazing.. im for sure waiting on that one.. i like that little angle too

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I've ordered the X-Spec low profile and was told that I need a MGW shift knob. I would like to keep my current Roush shift knob, if not where can I get a M12 X 1.25 white Roush knob?

Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I've ordered the X-Spec low profile and was told that I need a MGW shift knob. I would like to keep my current Roush shift knob, if not where can I get a M12 X 1.25 white Roush knob?
If you have a Roush knob for the OEM shifter you should still be able to use it but you will need to buy the OEM knob adapter from MGW. Listed on their site for $22

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG

you can use it as stated but only with the standard height handle.

its irrelevant that you want the low handle because your knob is going to sit up too high anyway so the standard handle will be fine.

in other words , the standard handle will still let you seat your roush knob ALL THE WAY to the gold upper with our adapter.

George

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you can use it as stated but only with the standard height handle.

its irrelevant that you want the low handle because your knob is going to sit up too high anyway so the standard handle will be fine.

in other words , the standard handle will still let you seat your roush knob ALL THE WAY to the gold upper with our adapter.

George
Oh so by using my "stock" shifter knob I will not get the advantage of the short shifter. Like in the video.
Got it. Thanks

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Oh so by using my "stock" shifter knob I will not get the advantage of the short shifter. Like in the video.
Got it. Thanks

With the x-spec standard handle you will get 21 percent not the 25 percent yes.

Now, if you really want to use your stock knob you could use our GT350 deluxe jam nut with a low handle and it will get you like " in between" so about 23 percent.

george

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
I've heard that the X-Spec shifter with the short handle puts extra stress on the transmission because of the super short throw. Is that correct? Would you recommend going with a combination of the X-Spec and Standard handle rather than the X-Spec and short handle?

Either way, I'm looking forward to ordering an X-Spec MGW with one of the new Gripper knobs come February.

Sponsored

johnny.3sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I've heard that the X-Spec shifter with the short handle puts extra stress on the transmission because of the super short throw. Is that correct? Would you recommend going with a combination of the X-Spec and Standard handle rather than the X-Spec and short handle?

Either way, I'm looking forward to ordering an X-Spec MGW with one of the new Gripper knobs come February.
You're correct, that's what George told me about the X-Spec with the shorter handle. But I opted for it anyway, feels better with resting my arm on the center column -- use to it from driving the MR2 for so long. Although I do like how the shifter assembly sits overall, I wish I had a weighted shift knob. Their "Classic" one works fine, feels good in the hand. Just wish it was weighted like their grabber knobs.

George told me he preferred the standard handle over the lower profile handle, and it lets you use any knob you want.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
What kind of extra stress are we talking about?

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i am also curious about this "extra" stress the x-spec short handle will put on the transmission. i was looking to getting an xspec with the flat stick option when its released. not sure if its a "short" or "standard" or if they will have both

johnny.3sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Did some forum searching to see where George from MGW used a weight analogy to explain the "extra stress," but couldn't find it. This is all I could find.

George himself says, "...we have now introduced our X-Spec option. This shifter is the EXACT same shifter as our standard with the only exception being the pivot position to reduce the upper travel by an additional 10 percent in relative setup over our standard Race Spec.
  • - it will be notchier ( which some have actually voiced preference for)
  • - it will put more stress on the drivetrain as a whole since the lower linkage rod will be sped up over the standard. We strongly recommend that those doing repetitive drag racing and or power shifting also look into beefing up the MT-82 transmission internals.
  • - the shift effort will increase slightly.
So in a nutshell , the new X- Spec is not some "new" shifter that all of a sudden makes our Standard race spec obsolete. It is simply an additional option for those that want it. The lower profile handle is also an option that has stemmed from demand for a very low profile "stubby" handle height.
"

In my opinion, the extra stress is gonna be there, that's inevitable as George states, "the lower linkage rod is sped up" -- but, I think if you're installing the X-Spec in your daily and driving it normally. You should be fine as long as you keep up with maintenance, I hear switching trans fluid to the BG Syncro Shift gives it a much better feel and not as notchy. Haven't ordered it yet, as my shifter feels fine to me. Here's the link: http://www.opmustang.com/store/p7/B...STANG_-_Transmission_and_Rear_Axle_Fluid.html But if you're driving aggressively on a everyday basis powering through each gear, it's gonna put more wear and tear on the drivetrain. Again, I think anyone who orders the X-Spec won't be disappointed. Just do the BG fluid and you'll be golden if you have any concerns, that/s what I've read from other reviews and suggestions from anyone who has an MGW shifter.

Hope this helps on making your decision.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Did some forum searching to see where George from MGW used a weight analogy to explain the "extra stress," but couldn't find it. This is all I could find.

George himself says, "...we have now introduced our X-Spec option. This shifter is the EXACT same shifter as our standard with the only exception being the pivot position to reduce the upper travel by an additional 10 percent in relative setup over our standard Race Spec.
  • - it will be notchier ( which some have actually voiced preference for)
  • - it will put more stress on the drivetrain as a whole since the lower linkage rod will be sped up over the standard. We strongly recommend that those doing repetitive drag racing and or power shifting also look into beefing up the MT-82 transmission internals.
  • - the shift effort will increase slightly.
So in a nutshell , the new X- Spec is not some "new" shifter that all of a sudden makes our Standard race spec obsolete. It is simply an additional option for those that want it. The lower profile handle is also an option that has stemmed from demand for a very low profile "stubby" handle height.
"

In my opinion, the extra stress is gonna be there, that's inevitable as George states, "the lower linkage rod is sped up" -- but, I think if you're installing the X-Spec in your daily and driving it normally. You should be fine as long as you keep up with maintenance, I hear switching trans fluid to the BG Syncro Shift gives it a much better feel and not as notchy. Haven't ordered it yet, as my shifter feels fine to me. Here's the link: http://www.opmustang.com/store/p7/B...STANG_-_Transmission_and_Rear_Axle_Fluid.html But if you're driving aggressively on a everyday basis powering through each gear, it's gonna put more wear and tear on the drivetrain. Again, I think anyone who orders the X-Spec won't be disappointed. Just do the BG fluid and you'll be golden if you have any concerns, that/s what I've read from other reviews and suggestions from anyone who has an MGW shifter.

Hope this helps on making your decision.
my main goal is the flat stick. i think looks awesome, but i do mainly daily driving some spirited driving and will hit drag strip on occasion. maybe eventually an autocross or something. now is this stress going to cause parts of the transmission to wear out in a few thousand miles or is this a wear type thing like after 60k miles you might need a rebuild or you might need to change trans fluid once a year
Sponsored