MGW Race Spec X Spec ?

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Do you guys no longer offer the gripper knobs? I didn't see them on the website. Im hoping you guys make a short version to go with the short handle. I should be placing my order next month.

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Do you guys no longer offer the gripper knobs? I didn't see them on the website. Im hoping you guys make a short version to go with the short handle. I should be placing my order next month.

yes we removed them because we are making some new designs that are also short enough for the low handles and come in colors now!!

We will have them on the site soon. But you can call 706-793-1770 to order.

George
mgwgripper.JPG
mgwgripperscolors.JPG

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Thanks! I was starting to panic. In my opinion it is the only aftermarket knob that matches the interior and I thought I missed out. I can barely wait. I still love the feel of my MGW shifter I bought in 03!

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
Why did you guys did not follow the factory reverse pull up function and decided to go with it downward? Planning to buy a new shifter soon and worried I might push the shifter down while driving.

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Why did you guys did not follow the factory reverse pull up function and decided to go with it downward? Planning to buy a new shifter soon and worried I might push the shifter down while driving.
No need to worry about this at all. You WILL NOT accidentally push down hard enough during normal driving to put the car in reverse as it takes more force than what you would apply in any normal driving situation (or any racing situation for that matter).

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
is the installation of the mgw one that requires going under the car and dropping the trans/driveshaft/exhaust components?

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
is the installation of the mgw one that requires going under the car and dropping the trans/driveshaft/exhaust components?
For my GT is was simply support the transmission with a jack, unbolt the transmission cross member, and allow the transmission to simply "sag" under it's own weight. Did not need to remove the driveshaft or any exhaust - and this was done on floor jacks under the car.

If I remember right from George's videos, the Ecoboost have even more room to work with.:thumbsup:

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
For my GT is was simply support the transmission with a jack, unbolt the transmission cross member, and allow the transmission to simply "sag" under it's own weight. Did not need to remove the driveshaft or any exhaust - and this was done on floor jacks under the car.

If I remember right from George's videos, the Ecoboost have even more room to work with.:thumbsup:
oh thats not bad. i really needa get myself a pair of the steeda jacking rails before i do this though haha. what was your install time roughly?

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
oh thats not bad. i really needa get myself a pair of the steeda jacking rails before i do this though haha. what was your install time roughly?
A couple of hours. I'm sure it can be done in much less time but I like to take my time and check and double-check everything as I go. George does the installs at his place in about 45 minutes to an hour (and I'm sure could do it blindfolded)! George's videos on MGW's site are really helpful and walk you through the whole process. One minor change that should be mentioned though - do not bolt the cross member back up until you have the shifter dropped in through the top and in place. For me there simply wasn't enough room to do this after snugging the cross member back up and others have ran in to this as well.

And for what it's worth, after working with George and his staff during the purchase and install, I won't use another shifter company! They are top notch!!

Sponsored

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
A couple of hours. I'm sure it can be done in much less time but I like to take my time and check and double-check everything as I go. George does the installs at his place in about 45 minutes to an hour (and I'm sure could do it blindfolded)! George's videos on MGW's site are really helpful and walk you through the whole process. One minor change that should be mentioned though - do not bolt the cross member back up until you have the shifter dropped in through the top and in place. For me there simply wasn't enough room to do this after snugging the cross member back up and others have ran in to this as well.

And for what it's worth, after working with George and his staff during the purchase and install, I won't use another shifter company! They are top notch!!
thanks for the tip. i did notice one of the videos had him assembling the whole short throw shifter... I assume it comes assembled already for consumers? pardon my ignorance, i've never done a short throw before.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the tip. i did notice one of the videos had him assembling the whole short throw shifter... I assume it comes assembled already for consumers? pardon my ignorance, i've never done a short throw before.
Welcome!

Yes, they have been assembling them before shipping them out for some time now. So when you get it the only things you will have to assemble/attach to the shifter are the mounting arm to the transmission case, linkage, dust boot (put on before dropping shifter in car), and then top it off with the jam nut and shifter ball of your choice!

And the jacking rails you spoke of are priceless when it comes to getting the car up in the air for whatever your needs may be! Great jacking point obviously and great place for the jack stands as well.

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Welcome!

Yes, they have been assembling them before shipping them out for some time now. So when you get it the only things you will have to assemble/attach to the shifter are the mounting arm to the transmission case, linkage, dust boot (put on before dropping shifter in car), and then top it off with the jam nut and shifter ball of your choice!

And the jacking rails you spoke of are priceless when it comes to getting the car up in the air for whatever your needs may be! Great jacking point obviously and great place for the jack stands as well.
All things on the wishlist at the moment haha. Right now im more concerned with getting the damn thing running right. had a misfire issue and oil (or possibly congealed gas) on 2 plugs. =/

NEVERTHELESS, mgw and steeda will likely be next mods

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
isnt there a flat stick MGW shifter coming out soon? i dont know why but i like the exposed flat stick..