spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/6spd
So I installed a Christmas present from my wife, the MGW shifter with the following specs:

X-SPECLow Profile2.625 in.25%

My review

Installation was straight forward, but time consuming. (I did my install in my garage which was 27 degrees and unheated, with it blowing snow outside). Overall the video instructions were helpful, but I did find that I was switching back and forth between videos and watching them quite a bit. My total install time with breaks, lunch, videos and taking the dog for a 1 hour walk was 6 hours. The worst part of the install was removing the front bolt that holds the stock linkage arm to the transmission, as I was performing the install solo. Of note, I did not use jacking ramps and had enough room with only the front end lifted with 2 simple harbor freight jacks and two extra jacks as backup just in case I had a jack failure.

Driving the car with the MGW X-Spec completely changes how the car behaves from an engagement point. Given the short throw (which is glorious), I was concerned that it would not compliment the clutch throw but I was pleasantly surprised that it actually does. My shifting is way, way smoother and the car does not have any sort of strange hesitation or any of inconsistent shifting characteristics of the stock shifter. Overall it has made the car far easier to drive because it removed not only the slop for the stock shifter setup, but also the timing of the shift is much better matched to the clutch engagement when rev matching. For those Mustang drivers that like to drive rather aggressively, this is a huge benefit as your shift times should at very least make the car "feel" quicker, because well, you will be on the shift. Another nice thing is the direct connection to the transmission- it is ROCK solid and you certainly feel much more connected to the car due to the slight vibration in the shifter and the hint of notch in the throw.

Two things I was concerned with was having to set the shift lockout and the difficulty of engaging reverse. I was surprised that I did not have adjust the reverse lockout or mess with the shifter during install. The install video says that 95% of cars will be good to go and it rang true in my case. The second issue that hard me concerned with actually putting the car into reverse. I was concerned that I would have to put overt pressure onto the top of the shifter to get it into reverse, but it was actually no worse than other short throw shifters I have used. Both of these things had me very pleasantly surprised.

Overall, I would recommend the shifter without hesitation. The quality of materials, the simplicity of installation (despite the time it took given our weather), and the lack of having to really do a crazy amount of work to get the shifter to perform makes it a winner in my book.

I would strongly recommend it to guys sitting on the fence of which one to buy and while it is expensive, you will forget about the cost as soon as you get the car back on the road with it installed. The guys at MGW did a great job and I cannot speak highly enough about their products. (This is my second MGW shifter, my 1st was in my '08 GT)
Sponsored

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
I'm surprised you were able to put it through it's paces with snow and cold pavement. Otherwise, good write up.

johnny.3sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm right there with you with installing the MGW shifter with only the front end lifted on jackstands :frusty:, took me about 6hrs too. Everything went smoothly except for getting to the top mount bolt for uninstalling and reinstalling, alk about a PITA...

But also highly recommend this shifter to anyone, the satisfaction of shifting from gear to gear feels like when you're racking a bolt action.

Reactions: MGW

50Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Corsair & 1990 Mustang GT. 2019 Mustang GT PP2 (Sold), 2019 Lincoln MKZ (Sold), 2017 Mustang GT PP (Sold), 2009 Civic Si (Sold)
Like everyone is saying, get this shifter. NOW. I had the Barton shifter and got the low profile X Spec.
WznmDYv.jpg
Gx0FQwq.jpg
rgUXxHC.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
How's the NVH with the x-spec?

I followed the instructions to a T and have not had any sort of NVH that was out of the ordinary. Then again, I have not done a full RPM go at it yet due to the snow that has come back and the mustang being in the garage.

johnny.3sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
How's the NVH with the x-spec?
NVH isn't even there at all in my opinion, that I can't feel primarily because of the shifter anyway. Only vibration when your hand is on the shifter, just due to it being transmounted I believe. A lot of people say it's "too much" for a daily driver -- but it's perfect, honestly.

Just a heads up though, it's very notchy when first installed but it'll get smoother after about a week or 2 of driving. Ive been reading and told that switching transmission fluid will help it shift smoother, forgot the brand though. Also, the shifter loves to be shifted at higher RPMS. Like butter every time when you're above 3.5RPM, can't feel any notchyness at all except on a cold start or driving fuel efficiently.

Hope this helps.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
There was no noticeable NVH with my X-Spec just rock solid shifts and no more numb, disconnected feeling of the transmission. I was also surprised at how noticeable the reduction in throw and gate spacing there is but I love it (I stuck with the regular handle too). Took 2.5 hours to install by myself including watching the hour long video but I am a small guy at 5'9" and can work easily in tight areas. Oh and the 2 to 3 shift is magnificent, I mean simply amazing compared to the stock shifter.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I had mine installed by a local speed shop yesterday. They forgot to install the collar, so I took it back today. Otherwise it looks like they did a fine job and were concerned that I was happy.

It's been raining, so I've only put about 40 miles on it, but is certainly a top drawer shifter. I have to get used to the strong centering springs. I accidentally hit 4th when trying to shift from 5th to 6th. I need to get used to using more side force, but I'm getting there. I'm used to the wimpy stock shifter.

I measured the down force required for the reverse lockout. It came to about 11 Lb. That's quite a bit for some drivers, and that's probably the reason Ford uses the light pull-up lockout. Otherwise a lot of drivers would be turned off by a heavy down force. I think I can guarantee I will never accidentally shift into reverse.

I'm really looking forward to going up in the mountains and have some fun.

My next mod will be ......

Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I had mine installed by a local speed shop yesterday. They forgot to install the collar, so I took it back today. Otherwise it looks like they did a fine job and were concerned that I was happy.

It's been raining, so I've only put about 40 miles on it, but is certainly a top drawer shifter. I have to get used to the strong centering springs. I accidentally hit 4th when trying to shift from 5th to 6th. I need to get used to using more side force, but I'm getting there. I'm used to the wimpy stock shifter.

I measured the down force required for the reverse lockout. It came to about 11 Lb. That's quite a bit for some drivers, and that's probably the reason Ford uses the light pull-up lockout. Otherwise a lot of drivers would be turned off by a heavy down force. I think I can guarantee I will never accidentally shift into reverse.

I'm really looking forward to going up in the mountains and have some fun.

My next mod will be ......
Thanks for getting the force required for reverse. That makes me feel a lot better about not accidentally shifting into reverse.

OP
OP

spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I finally got it out and started really puting the MGW shifter through the paces. The shifter is notchy wihen the car is cold at 40 degrees, but every and is good go within 10 minutes of driving. The feel of the shifts are amazingly precise.

The only thing that sticks out to me as something to note is the force required to put the car into reverse. You KNOW when it is going into reverse, it take a very good amount of force put put the car into gear. I cannot complain about it, but for prospective buyers, just know that it is at least 10 pounds of force. Another poster said 11, and I can totally believe that.
It certainly changes how the vehicle behaves in a dramatic way. I didnt expect it to be such and extreme change, but wow is it ever. Best 1st mod to the car and glad I took the time to do it instead of waiting for the spring. I did order a grabber blue shift ball from CJPony Parts and will be putting that on here next week. I am also hoping to get some decent pictures of the shfter profile in the car with the shift knob (2 1/8 inch) as the shifter now sits VERY low. :)

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a note. I measured the reverse lockout down force with the shifter on the bench. I placed two 5 Lb. barbell weights on the shifter, but wasn't quite enough. So I rested my hand on top of the weight stack, and that was enough. It isn't very scientific, but it is a pretty good approximation. I can live with it, and I'm sure there's a trick to make it easier.

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
Any pics of it installed? I have yet to see the low spec.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I chose the Standard/Low-profile version after talking with the local speed shop. I don't like the throw to be too short, so the 19% reduction works just fine for me.
Sponsored