Sponsored

Thrush Welded Mufflers

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Has anyone here used Thrush mufflers? I'm looking at the Thrush 17651 Welded Muffler. I've read the Welded ones sound similar to Flowmaster Super 44's. I found one Youtube video of an Ecoboost with Super 44's and thought it sounded pretty good. Hard to say really, since it was Youtube.

I deleted my resonator last week. It's a little louder than stock, but nothing noteworthy. I don't want to plunk down $500 or so for an axle back since there's no performance gain. I've considered muffler delete, but I'm not convinced it'll sound good from the Youtube videos I've seen. Some sound good, some bad

These are what I'm looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S8F7Q...TF8&colid=1HGBHN9S4Z7GT&coliid=I3K8JZC516CBVS

Also, what else would I need to purchase to have a shop weld them in? Hangars? Clamps? 3.5" Tips?
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I purchased the Magnaflow mufflers 2.25 in/out They welded mine on.

I searched my az off while researching and thrush and flowmaster was two of the brands. I found a couple of youtube clips where they were on 4 cyl but they all sounded like crap. I decided to go with mufflers that I could find with 4 cyl cars. Also, SummitRacing.com has some good prices on mufflers. Price I paid is in my build link, first page. Think $350 for mufflers, tips, and install... believe.

I had the muffler delete, it does not sound well to me... some people are huge fans though.

I wished I'd never took my original mufflers off for a long time... but I have grown to love the way my car sounds... with the big cai and symposer thing turned off.

You don't get the big car sound with these cars though... I had a hell cat sounding car reving beside me the other day. I had nothing.

OP
OP
metalhead79

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Personally, I don't really care for the Magnaflow or MBRP exhaust sounds. I've liked the Solo Performance and Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust videos. I don't like the raspiness of the Borla or Corsa exhausts. I prefer a mix of depth and rasp. I don't want max volume, but I do want louder than stock.

I had a WRX STi park next to me yesterday and it had a really good sounding exhaust on it. It was too loud for me, but it sounded good. I've gotten over the 'only V8's sound good' mentality and have come to like a lot of exhausts for 4 cylinder engines.

Maybe a catless downpipe with the resonator delete on the stock mufflers would sound good?

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Here is a link to what someone did with basically the same muffler setup you are asking about. The idel and revs sound good but quality of the interior is hard to judge. He has another Youtube that outlines what he used. I did a resonator delete and thinking about doing something like this. [ame]

OP
OP
metalhead79

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Here is a link to what someone did with basically the same muffler setup you are asking about. The idel and revs sound good but quality of the interior is hard to judge. He has another Youtube that outlines what he used. I did a resonator delete and thinking about doing something like this.
Thanks! Same mufflers I'm looking at but with a Magnaflow resonator delete instead of the Lethal Performance I used. Not like that would make a difference.
I like the sound, I think I'll proceed with having these installed.

Sponsored

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
[ame]

Here is a video for you to watch, they are actually using the mufflers you are talking about as a comparaison (thrush VS magnaflow)

OP
OP
metalhead79

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Interesting video. However, the Thrush Hush used in the video has a different interior design than the Welded. My understanding is that on the Ecoboost Mustang, the only real gains are from going to a catless downpipe, even with the restrictive resonator and mufflers.
I'm far from an expert, but looking at the interior design of the Welded and comparing it to the stock muffler, it looks far less restrictive.
My thinking is, at worst, the Thrush Welded will be as restrictive as the stock muffler - but cost me no power while still sounding better. At best, it'll be less restrictive, while giving me no more power but also sounding better.
I could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time. Am I missing something?

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Yes, the muffler comparison video seemed to come full circle. I believe you are spot on regarding the design differences and just about anything should be an improvement over the stock set up. I would love to see how your project goes and results. Here us the video on how the guy at Budget Boosting did his exhaust. I already had a muffle do the resonator delete and Y pipe and I would have gone with 4" tips.

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Thrush welded mufflers are basically a chambered Flowmaster type design. They tend to cause a decent power loss on turbo cars. Turbos like exhausts to be as straight through and restriction free as possible.

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
So, you believe the Thrush Welded are as restrictive as the stock? I guess what you mean is something more free flowing is better on a turbo car. My concern is if you go muffler delete and resonator delete is there enough back pressure for scavenging? What is the happy medium?
Sponsored