Sponsored

GT PP vs Challenger Scat Pack

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
On 12/23/16 I traded my Mustang GT on a 16 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 6 speed manual. I really enjoyed the Mustang and had no problems with it. I started looking at Challengers on a whim, found out the money side of it worked and a test drive sealed the deal. I’ve had a chance to drive it on a lot of the fun roads that I drove the Mustang on. Here’s a little comparison.

I’ll try to keep this as objective as possible. I like the styling of both cars a lot. My Mustang was a base GT with Performance Pack and rear parking sensors. The Challenger is loaded. Comparing interiors, etc. isn’t apples to apples. I do wish a sunroof was available on the Mustang.

Power –
I don’t know if the Challenger is as much more powerful as it feels. It feels WAY faster. I think it’s a matter of cubic inches and a big flat torque curve. The gears seem perfectly matched to the engine. Easy to do with all the torque. You know how when you’re 10th in line behind the slow poke in the Prius you need to downshift? Not so much in the Challenger. Torque is always there. It doesn’t have the 4500 RPM rush that the GT has. Power is steady across the RPM range.

Handling –
The Challenger is a bigger heavier car. When driving you can feel the weight. I’m able to drive it on Mexican roads at the same speed I drove the Mustang, but it requires a little more attention. The Mustang is more planted and deals with bumps in corners better. I imagine on a road course or autocross the Mustang would be quicker. Handling was my biggest concern and I found on the test drive that it handles really well.

Brakes –
No contest. Challenger has really good brakes (4 piston Brembos). GT PP has GREAT brakes. I never drove anything that stopped like my GT. On the plus side the Challenger brakes don’t throw anywhere near the dust that the PP brakes do.

Just a couple of other things. There’s a decent aftermarket for Challengers. It’s a dribble compared to the Mustang aftermarket. The U Connect infotainment system is well reviewed and I do like it. 1 annoyance is that it can’t be turned off. You can mute it and blank the screen, but it’s still on.

If you look at specs they are almost identical width, but Challenger interior feels a lot roomier. The car is much squarer than a Mustang. It’s 9” longer. Both ride pretty stiff. The SRT version has adjustable suspension that probably helps.

I’m a child of the ‘60s and ‘70s and to me the Challenger is more of a classic muscle car, where Mustang and Camaro have moved more into the sports car area. I also think Dodge did the best retro styling of them all and love what they did with the ’15 refresh.

Pics or it didn't happen

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
nice write up. i do agree the challenger is def more muscle car styling for sure . and there hemi is more torquey, has a nice low end rip to it and the curve is always there .i had a 2012 r/t traded it for the stang. as i loved the new style of the gt. i did look at the scat packs but couldn't justify spending upwards of 40k on it. i've always been a fan of the challenger for sure

gl with your new scat heres a pic of mine before she got traded and de modded
Facebook-20150515-105951.jpg

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I still go back and forth on if I should of gotten the Challenger SP . I think it is because not one car is better than the other. It is more that they are totally different cars

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Nive review thanks man! I would love to own a matte magnetic color challenger with the 6.4 lt hemi, but after renting one, I wasn't really thrilled about it. Torque is nice and all but the car was extremely heavy. If next gen looses 400 to 500 lbs weight, then i am all in. It is definitely the best classic mean looking real muscle car in the market. Dodge nailed the design.

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I traded my 2012 SRT8 in on my GT/CS convertible. If I could, I'd own both. I loved the Challenger, but the only thing I didn't like was the poor visibility out the back corners. Backing out of parking spaces was the worst part.

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
I sold my 15 Mustang GT and bought a 15 Scat Pack. For me it was the right choice as I really like my Scat.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
On 12/23/16 I traded my Mustang GT on a 16 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 6 speed manual. I really enjoyed the Mustang and had no problems with it. I started looking at Challengers on a whim, found out the money side of it worked and a test drive sealed the deal. I’ve had a chance to drive it on a lot of the fun roads that I drove the Mustang on. Here’s a little comparison.

I’ll try to keep this as objective as possible. I like the styling of both cars a lot. My Mustang was a base GT with Performance Pack and rear parking sensors. The Challenger is loaded. Comparing interiors, etc. isn’t apples to apples. I do wish a sunroof was available on the Mustang.

Power –
I don’t know if the Challenger is as much more powerful as it feels. It feels WAY faster. I think it’s a matter of cubic inches and a big flat torque curve. The gears seem perfectly matched to the engine. Easy to do with all the torque. You know how when you’re 10th in line behind the slow poke in the Prius you need to downshift? Not so much in the Challenger. Torque is always there. It doesn’t have the 4500 RPM rush that the GT has. Power is steady across the RPM range.

URL]
The torque and sound alone make this car more satisfying to drive than the GT IMO.
I love manual but the 8speed auto is the only way to go with this car, it is just too good to pass up!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've looked at the Challenger - I test drove a manual 6.4 a few years ago and I liked the car. I think maybe when I get a lot older and can't handle a firm suspension and no longer want to go to the road course for track days I would buy something like the Challenger. They are very comfy and soft inside and the car feels big and heavy. It lays on the road really well. I think it would be great for long interstate trips. I have seen some at the road course and I thought they did well. They didn't have to stop due to heat like I did in my tech pack car.

I agree that the styling on the Challenger is good, but IMO it's very tired after so many years in production without a significant redesign. Price is the other thing that always discouraged me from buying a Challenger.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Nice car. If I were to get one though. I'd have to have it in a bright color. To give it that old school Muscle car feel.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Nice write up, Clump, and nice car! Your comparisons are spot on. I'm very fortunate to own a Coyote and a Scat Pack and love driving both of them. Each has its pros and cons, and each is enjoyable in slightly different ways. Here's my '16 Scat Pack.....

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Nice write up, Clump, and nice car! Your comparisons are spot on. I'm very fortunate to own a Coyote and a Scat Pack and love driving both of them. Each has its pros and cons, and each is enjoyable in slightly different ways. Here's my '16 Scat Pack.....
Must be nice. I'm only allowed one car in my stable.

With the converter, 4.10's and tune; does the stang push you in your seat harder than the scatpack?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
My neighbor has a 2016 Scat car, he's beginning to drive it a little more, as it was a "Garage Queen" for 6 months after he brought it home. I'd daily the punk. You made a great choice, enjoy the Hemi sonics.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
enjoy the Hemi sonics.
TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ! , TICK ????

;)

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Good choice of car, I drove a 392 at Bondurant so the engine is the same as the scat, I was shocked how the power curve felt the same as my hellcat off the line, car Def gas some balls. Awesome car man.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Must be nice. I'm only allowed one car in my stable.

With the converter, 4.10's and tune; does the stang push you in your seat harder than the scatpack?
It took a little convincing to get my wife on board with having two musclecars.

The Scat Pack makes big torque down low, and from what I've been able to research is good for low 12's in the 1/4 mile with sticky tires but otherwise factory stock. That's a quick car, despite the extra weight, and is quicker than the vast majority of cars on the road.

My Mustang runs 11.50's in the 1/4 mile, so it's significantly quicker with the mods I've done. The big converter & 4.10's make for an instant hit of power. In fact, I drove my Mustang to work yesterday and I am amazed how much more powerful it is. First time I've driven it in a month and I almost had to relearn the power curve! Nice & dry outside (but cold), and it got loose way too easily compared to my Scat Pack (both have really good all season high performance tires).
Sponsored