Sponsored

Wheel Spacers. 20mm or 25mm?????

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Another option of course is to buy shorter studs as shown on this video below.

Or maybe screw a nut 3mm away from the hub face and then bang the stud until the nut is flush with the hub? ie. like the guy does in the video to remove the stud but not all the way of course. If anyone does this, do so at your OWN RISK as I don't know how much give there is on the back of the stud at this point.

[ame]
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
So I recently bought the Coyote brand 4x25 mm spacers from American Muscle and with some mild'ish weather, finally got around to putting them on and taking some measurements.

The 25mm on the front where perfect but with the Pirelli's bulge they stuck out past the fender too much for my liking. I'd heard that 23mm was as small as you'd want to go in the rear. I did some measurements and that seemed to be the case but I thought I'd get the rear set milled down to 22mm. I figured I could always grind the top of the wheel studs 1 mm if I had too.

So I took my 2 rear spacers off and brought them to a machinist I know and he milled them down to 22mm for me. He had to press out the splined studs from the spacers to get the spacer on the lathe but that was a breeze. When they were done being lathed down, he pressed the studs back in and home I went to give it a go.

I cleaned the face of the hub with some 100 grit sandpaper and likewise the back of the rear wheels. I put a thin layer of anti-seize on the back of the spacers and on they went on 1 side for a test fit. Torqued the spacers to 120 ft-lbs and then the wheel onto the spacer at 150. Took the wheel off then to see what the pockets on the back of the wheel looked like and you can see the stud's left a mark on them so 23mm seems ideal IF you don't want to cut the stud or do what I ended up doing below.

First pic is the spacer on the wheel with the stock silver studs sticking out a bit.

2nd pic is the back of the wheel after I removed it showing the marks left in the wheel pockets.

3rd pic is what I did to allow the studs to seat themselves into the pocket safely (I drilled a small pocket within the pocket).

I still think 20mm is the perfect stance for the back on the Pirellis. However, my next set of tires will have a less bulgy sidewall so who knows ... I'll spend more time looking at it and decide if I want to try 20mm but deepen the mini-pockets I made.

So, for those of you running 20mm on PP wheels you've likely pressed the stock studs out the back of the hub by 3mm ... not sure I'd worry about that as the nuts will keep them on nice and tight regardless.

Anyway, curious to see what you do with your 20mm Fordever
Great info Bud..:thumbsup: Its too damn cold here to even think about installing spacers yet.. Probably be March..LOL.

But I am tempted to try one of the rear ones for fitment.. At least then I will know what I am in for when I do complete to job..:D

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Mustang Lou, nice write-up. 20 mm's front and back here. I didn't want any protruding of tire past the top edge of fender lip. These set perfectly flush with the P Zeros on PP wheels.
DSC01026.jpg

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Mustang Lou, nice write-up. 20 mm's front and back here. I didn't want any protruding of tire past the top edge of fender lip. These set perfectly flush with the P Zeros on PP wheels.
Looks perfect..:thumbsup:

Are you dropped or is that stock height? I cant really tell from the angle:shrug:

But I am thinking stock.....

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
Looks perfect..:thumbsup:

Are you dropped or is that stock height? I cant really tell from the angle:shrug:
Thanks! Stock height at the moment. I was a little concerned that the spacers and stock height would look odd, but it's not bad at all..that said, BMR minimal drops in my garage for a month now waiting to go on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Thanks! Stock height at the moment. I was a little concerned that the spacers and stock height would look odd, but it's not bad at all..that said, BMR minimal drops in my garage for a month now waiting to go on.
I just ordered the BMR 089/082 setup. I wanted minimal drop as well. I think it will look perfect with the 20mm spacers...:headbang:

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Just did Steeda Extremes and 25mm front with 20mm rear. I trimmed the studs slightly in the rear and used marking paint to verify they weren't contacting the wheel pockets.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Just did Steeda Extremes and 25mm front with 20mm rear. I trimmed the studs slightly in the rear and used marking paint to verify they weren't contacting the wheel pockets.

Rears look dead on perfect to me....:thumbsup:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
20mm in the rear is the ticket - perfect ... I'll see how long I keep the 22mm before I get them shaved down. :D

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
[MENTION=25333]Dsquared[/MENTION] - beautiful car. Did you do anything to the studs at all? I'd be curious to see what the wheel pockets look like on the back of your wheels.

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
@Mustang Lou, thanks man. :cheers:
I trimmed my studs 5-6 mm (used a cutoff wheel and file to clean them up. Also put nuts on the studs before cutting which helped clean the threads as well) and that was enough to clear the pockets. I didn't drill out the wheel pockets and not planning on changing out the wheels anytime soon, so I'm not worried about altering stud length. The studs are easy enough to replace if I ever do go with another wheel option.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
^ Nice. Now we know that a 3 mm trim of the studs is all that's needed to get the 20 mm spacers to work.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Thanks but the booklet in the box actually says "30 ft-lbs" believe it or not so I don't trust that. Although further down the booklet is a chart with varying torque specs depending on the lug diameter. I didn't measure the cars lug diameter so can't comment on what it'd be.

Having said that, 150 seems aok after taking the wheel off and on a few times. No issues and the spacer lugs appear made of a harder steel then the OEM ones actually.
This is the torque spec on the box. It's real easy to know the diameter without measuring, it's 14mm, the same as the lugs on our car. That's how you can use the same lug nuts. Of course you can over-torque any bolt. The problem is, the ramifications of failure since you're exceeding the spec. If you end up stripping it by over-torquing it like that, it's going to be a PITA to get it off. I'm just trying to help...
adapter.jpg

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I appreciate the help jbailer. My box doesn't have that on the outside but the pic is exactly what's on the booklet that came in my box.

So are those specs in that pic the wheel to the spacer or the spacer to the hub?

I guess in the end I have a difficult time believing anything in the booklet when they mention 30 ft-lbs in another section of the same booklet. The spacers, although good quality, are made in China and I've seen many times where things get lost in translation from Chinese to English so "caveat emptor" is my philosophy when reading their manuals.
Sponsored